Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
A thought on active contamination prevention * 1
    #1687832 - 07/05/03 10:43 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I've been up too late and it's gotten me to linking thought unto thought, and I came up with an idea.

So, we all know how pasteurization supposedly kills most of the 'harmful' contams but leaves some harmless crap to colonize the straw and keep the other contams out, right? Well, after remembering how there is some experimentation going on with forms of genetically engineered plaque that doesn't harm teeth but would outcompete the stuff that had, I had an idea...

...Has anyone tried innoculating a substrate with something that would work in this way? Flood the substrate with a competetive but compatable bacteria that would outcompete most of the contams until the mushrooms took over?

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: A thought on active contamination prevention [Re: Sev] * 1
    #1687881 - 07/05/03 11:29 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I haven't, but there's been a lot done by proffesionals, most inoculate compost with bacteria like psudomonas putida (I think that's the one) and certain actinomycetes [edited] that thrive at really high temperatures (or put it in the casing layer.)

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Edited by micro (07/05/03 11:11 PM)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: A thought on active contamination prevention [Re: Sev] * 1
    #1688250 - 07/05/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Invisiblewhodi
spirit

Re: A thought on active contamination prevention [Re: zeronio] * 1
    #1688353 - 07/05/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Doing any thing after pasteurization and before inoculating IMO seems a waste of time. Once mycelium colonizes the substrate there's far less chance other bacteria could contaminate..
Correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by whodi (07/05/03 04:16 PM)

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: A thought on active contamination prevention [Re: whodi] * 1
    #1689089 - 07/05/03 10:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

First of all -- I meant actinomycetes up there, not asco's.  Wrong order :wink:

Whodi -- are you talking about a substrate for jars/bags, or bulk?  I agree with bulk -- I just use straw, not even poo, and it works fine.  The actinos are usually a factor in composting when you're doing a really large amount (i.e. whole bales) at a time because they thrive at really high temperatures, and thus keep away a really good chunck of the bad stuff, but don't hinder what you're trying to grow.  Pseudomonas putita helps fruiting, too (higher yields with a lot of different species of mushrooms.)

But like I said -- I don't really see the point of going to all the hassle, unless maybe if you're a commercial grower.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Invisiblewhodi
spirit

Re: A thought on active contamination prevention [Re: micro] * 1
    #1691742 - 07/07/03 12:03 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Micro I was talking about jars and bags. I would think it?d be the same on bulk. Actually this thread (and the link) has opened my eyes to ways actinos can be used and not killed. I mean fermenting instead of pasteurization.
Thanks zeronio that link was great. Look like I have some experimenting to do.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A thought on active contamination prevention [Re: whodi] * 1
    #1692490 - 07/07/03 08:04 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think it would work in bags and jars of spawn. Even the "good" micro-organisms will over run a nutrient rich substrate and spoil it.

For more info on psudomonas, try searching around the boards for vodka or acetone teks. Psudomonas grow naturally on alcohols secreted by mycelium, so simply letting a pasteurized medium (usually a casing) incubate after it has had acetone or vodka or something added will allow the psudomonas to thrive.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order