Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new
    #16756064 - 08/29/12 06:41 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Over the last year or so I've felt myself sinking into a hole of depression that has been getting worse, and over the last week after really reflecting upon what led up to it, I feel like I've wasted the last several years of my life building a career that I can't stand.

I do IT work, and despite working my ass off for certs and going to school, I've never made it past a help desk position or getting 3 month gigs off temp agencies. I've spent the last 6 months burning myself out trying to study every day to advance in my field, but I hate what I am studying and at this point I've decided I am done doing it.

So I was thinking about taking probably around $3000 and heading out west to a medicinal state to settle in. I have friends in Cali I could use as a landing pad, or just rough it in Colorado somewhere, and I get job offers literally once a week from temp agencies so finding a job won't be hard to get started.

However I of course have shit like furniture and a TV, and a newer dog that is a great dog but I'd have to surrender to take out of the equation.

I'm willing to leave whatever doesn't fit in my car comfortably behind, I guess I'm just looking for feedback or others experiences, as I absolutely can't stand my current situation anymore and its deteriorating quickly. I need a new scene, a new city, and a new start like yesterday.

Any input is always appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

Loc: magic sugarcastle
Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: c1dh3d]
    #16756394 - 08/29/12 07:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I guess i justcompletely uprooted about a week ago, even though im only like 2 hours away from home. I know no one here.  I moved for a job. Its cool i guess. Its a rly small town, but im reasonably close to a bif city. Idk - i didnt bring any animals with me. I do wish i was in a bigger city, all in good time i suppose. I was in a - not bad, but a situation that wasnt particularly helpful to my emotional wellbeing. Im already kinda wishing i had a dog, but i do like being able to just leave if i want.

--------------------
full blown human

Offlineduff monkey
Stranger
Male

Loc: where ocean breezes blow
Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: Penelope_Tree] * 2
    #16756711 - 08/29/12 08:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I arrived in California 20 some years ago with a beach chair and a 12pk cooler. Just do it.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: duff monkey] * 1
    #16757255 - 08/29/12 10:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

No reason not to.

My daily grind isn't terrible, but it's wearing me out, i just know i am not doing what i want to be doing in order to feel truly satisfied with myself. Besides that, i do absolutely hate the city i am in, and want to move back to somewhere more rural/smaller like my home town.

I always look forward to picking up and moving on. Colorado sounds amazing - i don't see why you wouldn't do this if you are already unhappy it probably won't get much worse.

Who knows what's out there for you?

Abandon uncertainty and plunge into the unknown of something good/great/special/amazing... Good luck.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: PDU]
    #16757445 - 08/29/12 11:01 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah this is the first time I've considered such a move dead sober, I appreciate all the feedback :thumbup:

Anonymous #1

#16757844 - 08/30/12 01:41 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

How about This place in Tenerife for less than $20 a night. Trouble is it takes 2 days and $2,000 to get there.
2 bedroom apts. can be had for $350/month

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16758948 - 08/30/12 09:47 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't spend the bulk of money on travel, and that definitely does not look like part of the US. I'm thinking a major metro area in a medicinal state, as I can definitely get jobs immediately with temp agencies within driving distance. I am thinking Denver or maybe northern Cali, definitely needs to be a medicinal state.

Not sure which direction the career path will go, but I know what I'm doing now isn't a long term career, but it will get me quick decent paying jobs.

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

#16759123 - 08/30/12 10:36 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I admire the ability for you to consider this.  I dislike my career field as well. 

What are you consider doing to feel more fulfilled in terms of your livelihood?  Going back to school is always so expensive. :frown:

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: Society]
    #16760701 - 08/30/12 03:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've thought about the career moving forward part, and college is looking bleak, as the only type of assistance I qualify for is loans and 4 year degrees just don't seem worth a shit anymore (or definitely not worth the debt). I'm one of those people that doesn't really have a passion for anything, although I've always been interested in a trade that I could use for side work, like an electrician.

My move date is not until the new year once I get taxes back and feel confident that I am able to take care of myself financially, but once I get that money stored away that I need it's go time. I don't know what will come of it, I just can't ignore the ever growing feeling of wasting my life anymore.

It's at a point that if I don't plan an exit strategy now, I'm eventually going to say fuck it and completely self destruct, and quit my job broke as shit and so on.

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

#16760903 - 08/30/12 04:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You're on a similar page as me.  I have no career passions; no field or career ultimately sounds fulfilling.  But I hate where I am and I'm not sure where or how to move forward towards a more deeply satisfying livelihood. 

I have no idea what I'm going to do.  I am tethered to my metro area by my girlfriend and a couple close friends.  I am avoidant of college because of the financial aspect and, as you state, attainment of another 4 year degree sounds like an enormous waste of life. I already spent six years getting two degrees.

Sigh.  I admire you're drive and ability to just fucking change it all.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: Society]
    #16761927 - 08/30/12 07:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Well I have yet to pick up and move, but it's really only a matter of time before I stop giving a fuck, so I'm just trying to make it a controlled demolition of my current situation.

I'm surprised at the lack of response, I'd think there are a lot of people on here who have done this and can relate.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #16762843 - 08/30/12 09:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I would like to keep an open mind and keep moving until i find a life situation which is more fulfilling rather than just moving to ______________ (said location) and hoping for the best.

Ie. I think if your unhappy and don't know what you want, you might want to remain flexible and see where you end up.

However, you might need a bit more money to do this without too much stress.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: PDU]
    #16763091 - 08/30/12 10:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'm thinking I'll make contact with recruiters at some temp agencies in some choice locations, get my resume to them and see if they can get me work. From there its a matter of renting a room out of a house month to month, so if I don't like the position or place I can easily move on to the next spot.

I actually worked with a kid at one job who did this exact thing, moving states living off temp contract jobs at every place he went. I was thinking $3000 would be what I'd land at Spot A with, and have $400-$500 for travel at least depending on where the starting point is.

OfflineMistyMystic
Birdbrain
Male

#16772749 - 09/01/12 06:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i am dying to be an american!

when I am... I am going to live in... LIKE SO MANY STATES..

i cant fucking wait to get out of this hell hole... WOOHOO

WOOHOOO UPROOT AND RE ROOT AND FUCKIN BLAH WOOOO WOOHOOOO

FREEDOM BABBYYYY YEAHHH THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT

--- even if it is only a dream !!!

OfflineBlackbird33
Stranger

Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: MistyMystic]
    #16785647 - 09/04/12 08:54 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

OP,

I'm in a similar boat and I feel as though if nothing changes I'll end up killing myself. I'm so damn miserable everyday and I don't have much tying me to where I am except my job. But I do have a sizable savings and I can't do all this for much longer. I would like to know what you ultimately decide to do OP.

Offlinestanski
Stranger
Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: Blackbird33]
    #16785985 - 09/04/12 10:26 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe you should think about a complete career change as well? Sounds like you aren't getting a lot of satisfaction from working in the corporate world, maybe you would enjoy something completely different like doing a work for room and board on a farm somewhere? I know its completely out there, but idk just thought i'd suggest it just in case.

Another thing is why limit yourself just to the u.s.? Maybe job prospects in your field would be a lot better internationally?

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #16786009 - 09/04/12 10:30 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You should go for it. Too many people just get stuck in their life situation, and let it eat them up without doing anything about it. This is life......who knows if we get another shot at it after death. Why settle for something that's not making you happy? You have the power to change it, and you already know that. That puts you ahead of the game.

I picked up & moved a while ago, but I was younger, still unsure of myself/what I wanted, still immature, and still in a haze. So while it was awesome, it wasn't all that successful, and I eventually moved back & completed my self-destruction. Having risen from those ashes & gotten on a path towards a fulfilling career, I now find myself once again looking west. In a couple more years I'll probably be going back, and this time for good.

Good luck man, you're on the right path.

--------------------

OfflineAll We Perceive
Sea Cucumber
Male

Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: Dark_Star]
    #16786591 - 09/04/12 12:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I packed everything I could in my little ass chevrolet aveo and moved from Tallahassee, Florida to Denver in January knowing a single person about 2 hours form Denver in the entire state.  Not gonna lie, it was really tough just uprooting like that, leaving my friends and contacts; however, if you're not pushing yourself to live the best life possible, you're selling yourself short.  The novelty of living here has not worn off a single bit; there are TONS AND TONS of younger people here and the music scene is insane plus the weed is insane plus the mountains are literally like 20 minutes from my pad plus there are no fat people, plus the weather is AMAZING during the non-snow months.  I have not run my air conditioning unit a single time this entire month.  With absolute conviction, I can say Colorado is 100 times better than every other state I've lived in - Florida, Maryland, Michigan.  Don't settle for less than the best.  :sunny:

--------------------

"plus they atually think jambands are good or sumthing, so they clearly know absolutely nothing about music, clearly lol" -Bassfreak

InvisibleTheMule73
Stranger
Male

Re: Uprooting and completely starting life over somewhere new [Re: All We Perceive]
    #17284229 - 11/26/12 11:46 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Bump..

OP, did you ever go through with this?

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#17284555 - 11/26/12 01:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Personally, I'd have a job and place to live lined up, but I'm conservative like that. 

I've uprooted 4 times for job/career changes.  It's nothing to worry about.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order