Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleVore

My PS teacher already hates me
    #16750928 - 08/28/12 08:45 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

We were going over the "consent of the governed" in my PoliSci class. I said it was a misnomer, there have been many instances of groups in the United States that want nothing to do with the federal government and have had it forced down their throats since its inception after the Revolutionary War. Both Shay's Rebellion and the Whiskey Rebellion illustrate this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shay%27s_Rebellion, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_rebellion

I gave a brief description of the Whiskey Rebellion, and I got a few laughs, and now he doesn't like me very much at all. I didn't mention it because sheep get nervous when you say anything like this, but the Southern attempt at cession from the United States is another great example. The Confederate States did not want to be governed by a central authority between the North and South, and the federal government was having none of that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Vore]
    #16750954 - 08/28/12 08:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Don't let it get you down. We don't like you much either. :haha:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleVore

Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Icelander]
    #16750968 - 08/28/12 08:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

A > 5 shrooms. Nuff said.

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

#16751016 - 08/28/12 09:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I feel ya man alot of my professors dislike my strong opinions about capitalism and the free market makes them nervous, but college at least in the humanities classes is not about free thought it seems.

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#16751021 - 08/28/12 09:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I was thinking of making a thread about this myself.

with such things as congresses approval rating of only 10% and low voter turnout etc. the government does not have the consent of the governed.

what that means constitutionally is that the government technically has no legal authority over the people.

the fact that they enforce what they want with violence and people chose not to resist in the face of overwhelming force does not mean they consent.

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Shins]
    #16751036 - 08/28/12 09:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

As long as the standard of living in the US doesn't get to low and people can have there cable and green lawns people won't bother to do anything. Makes me wonder sometimes about democracy.

--------------------

InvisibleVore

Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #16751070 - 08/28/12 09:14 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

the fact that they enforce what they want with violence and people chose not to resist in the face of overwhelming force does not mean they consent.

That pretty much sums it up to me. I don't worry about radical change, I think its always going to suck, but I'd rather know the nature of the affairs.

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #16751079 - 08/28/12 09:15 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.  .

a democratic republic is better than pure democracy because people have certain inalienable rights, and certain human rights laws can't just be voted away.

in a pure democracy peoples human rights are disposable at the will of the mob.

It may seem ironic to many, but republicans are theoretically actually the stronger defenders of human rights.

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Shins]
    #16751128 - 08/28/12 09:25 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

If you think of other people as sheep your condescension will be apparent and they won't like you.

InvisiblezZZz
jesus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Me_Roy]
    #16751170 - 08/28/12 09:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe it was the way you presented it?

--------------------
https://discord.gg/NHHd5y2Uyv

InvisibleVore

Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Me_Roy]
    #16751186 - 08/28/12 09:35 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

They won't know I think they are sheep because they are sheep and they won't observe it. Don't be confused, I genuinely believe many people are smart; they are just gullible.

zZZz: That could have been part of it, I think it was more about timing though. I made a mental note of it afterwards "build rapport before you disagree with a professor's material".

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #16751298 - 08/28/12 09:59 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Vore said:
They won't know I think they are sheep because they are sheep and they won't observe it. Don't be confused, I genuinely believe many people are smart; they are just gullible.

If they're smart, like you say you believe, I bet they realize what you think.

They probably just think you're a jack-ass that believes anyone who doesn't toe his intellectual line must be deluding themselves with some false reality.

I mean, that's pretty much what I think and I know you just as well as they do, assuming your classes just started as did mine.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleVore

Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #16751390 - 08/28/12 10:17 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

They probably just think you're a jack-ass that believes anyone who doesn't toe his intellectual line must be deluding themselves with some false reality.

Hardly, a lot of the class responded positively and I don't carry a tone of conceit around me most places I go. I just don't give a shit on the internet.

I mean, that's pretty much what I think and I know you just as well as they do, assuming your classes just started as did mine.

Good form, way to shoot to a personalism and provide 0 counter-arguments to the OP.

Edit: As for thinking people are completely rational on topics, that's a fallacy. Anything in the same ballpark as race is a trigger for a lot of people in this country, whether it's logical or illogical. That's the main reason I didn't bring up the civil war - you can easily see people's dismay with the subject as evidenced by Ron Paul bringing it up during his 2008 campaign.

For clarity's sake, I do not think people believing that the government is for or against them is an indicator of being a sheep. The Civil War is just a taboo topic, and taboos are illogical. I'll even admit to my own bias here - I lived in Utah through high school so I'm used to dominator culture.

Edited by Vore (08/28/12 10:31 PM)

InvisibleTherian
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #16751700 - 08/28/12 11:28 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

in a pure democracy peoples human rights are disposable at the will of the mob.

Problem being, in the democratic republic, the "mob" is known as congress. Seen any of the videos where children and women are forced to get naked and groped by some TSA fuck? I think their rights are disposable. The other day was the twentieth anniversary of ruby ridge, and if anything, peoples rights have been ever more suppressed, and trampled on.

Quote:

As long as the standard of living in the US doesn't get to low and people can have there cable and green lawns people won't bother to do anything.

Just wait until they get hungry.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#16752083 - 08/29/12 01:31 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Vore said:
A > 5 shrooms. Nuff said.

I can't leave ratings.  No adults here can. :sad:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#16752089 - 08/29/12 01:33 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

many people are smart; they are just gullible.

How can one be smart and gullible?  You must have a narrow view of what "smart" entails.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Vore] * 1
    #16752651 - 08/29/12 05:57 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You're giving yourself far too much credit.  He doesn't hate you.  He thinks you're just suffering from the passionate ignorance of youth.  He probably also thinks that you have potential if you could ever get past the point where you think you know it all.

He's also probably right about all of it.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleVore

Re: My PS teacher already hates me [Re: Enlil]
    #16753669 - 08/29/12 11:09 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I dont think I know it all, but I do know enough to have a wellgrounded opinion on the topic. If you find any error with the OP, by all means point it out.

Ice, imagination and trust are also components of human minds. Have you seen A Beautiful Mind? I think thats a great example of high intelligence coupled with lunacy. Im sure there are many smart people with cheating spouses that cant see the truth because they are more comfortable with the fiction.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
    #16753697 - 08/29/12 11:15 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I'm pretty sure I already did.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleDieCommie

#16753812 - 08/29/12 11:46 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I learned never to speak my mind in college.  Its just not worth it.  Tow the line, get the degree.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom