Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Loc: far away from home
terrarium question - newbee
    #1672033 - 06/29/03 06:34 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hey there,
Getting ready to birth my first cake(s).
I built my terrarium following one methods on the FAQ. Used a 10 gallon aquarium with hood. Painted the outside of the hood with black spray paint and have a blue light in the hood. I'm using an air pump, housed in a tupperware container with filtered holes on top for air supply. I've put about 2" of perlite on the bottom and about an 1" of water. I've got a hydrometer and thermometer inside and a heating pad underneath. Hardware cloth will be used to keep the cakes off the perlite.
My questions:
How do I know I have enough water. You can't see that the perlite is wet, the top isn't wet, should it be? As long as the humidity is 90-100% should I just not worry and make sure that there is water in there?
If the heating pad keeps the humidity up to 90-100% should I not spray and just focus on keeping the perlite wet? If so, using this method will the perlite exhaust itself at some point?
Since my blue light will be the only light source how many hours should I use it?
with the air pump supplying filtered air should I still fan a few times a day?
Thank you in advance shroomites!

--------------------

There's no such thing as a stupid question,
but they're the easiest to answer!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Re: terrarium question - newbee [Re: cyndyl]
    #1672038 - 06/29/03 06:36 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Correction:
I painted the outside of the TANK not the freakin hood. Duh

--------------------

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
    #1672116 - 06/29/03 07:29 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

the perlite is fine 1 inch of water is plenty,doesn't matter if the top of it isn't soaked.just keep the humidity at 95-+ and you'll have shroomies. As for the lighting go 8 hours a day but some people go 6 on and 6 off,just about 4 hours a day will be fine.and ya don't paint the top man your shroom are going to grow side ways,GOOD LUCK!!

--------------------

Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Re: terrarium question - newbee [Re: charvo]
    #1672139 - 06/29/03 07:38 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you Charvo!

--------------------

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
    #1672170 - 06/29/03 07:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

First of all, you're doin' great!

>How do I know I have enough water. You can't see that the perlite is wet, the top isn't wet, should it be? As long as the humidity is 90-100% should I just not worry and make sure that there is water in there?

Till your cakes start pinning, %90-100 humidity is what you need. After they start pinning , the humidity has to be around %80-85. Since you have an hygrometer, you'll develop a feeling of keeping  the humidity stable.

>If the heating pad keeps the humidity up to 90-100% should I not spray and just focus on keeping the perlite wet?

As i mentioned in my answer for the previous question, if you're cakes didn't start to pin and the heating pad keeps the humidity stable as you say, focusing on keeping the perlite wet is ok. You don't have to spray!
When they start pinnin' , you'll have to rearrange your heating pad to 23-24 degrees celcius and rearrange the humidity to stay stable at %80-85.
Also read http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7984

>If so, using this method will the perlite exhaust itself at some point?

You can reuse perlite by drying it in an oven at 350-400F for an hour. Nothing to worry about till youre next casing... :smile:

>Since my blue light will be the only light source how many hours should I use it?

Light: Diffuse natural or exposure for 12-16 hours/day of grow-lux type fluorescent light high in blue spectra at the 480 nanometer wavelength.

>with the air pump supplying filtered air should I still fan a few times a day?

To answer this one, you have to give more details like for how long does the pump work.Considering the strain you're trying to cultivate is a Cubensis strain, it's better for you to fan your terrarium 2-3 times a day since the air pump just prevents CO2 from sinking.

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Re: terrarium question - newbee [Re: ph_plus]
    #1672247 - 06/29/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

To answer this one, you have to give more details like for how long does the pump work.Considering the strain you're trying to cultivate is a Cubensis strain, it's better for you to fan your terrarium 2-3 times a day since the air pump just prevents CO2 from sinking.

Thanks for the info and the links. There's a great wealth of information on this site, so much so that it's sometimes hard to find exactly what you're looking for.
I was planning on just letting the aquarium air pump run continuously. It's one that's meant for a big tank with two air outlets instead of the typical singe outlet. But I'll rely on the fanning to get that CO2 out as you say.

--------------------

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
    #1672323 - 06/29/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

That's a good decision. If you run the air pump continously, you'll probably cause the terrarium and the substrate to dry out.... Fanning the terrarium 3 times a day is like fanning the terrarium once every 8 hours. So if you let your aquarium pump run every 4 hours, (between the fanning times...) it can help in addition to fanning by circulating Co2.

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags