Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRideAllBears
rawr

Using Color Temperature Gels to make the light source bluer?
    #16686313 - 08/12/12 07:27 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hey everyone, right now I have a daylight lightbulb lighting my terrarium and I just got done with my first flush.

What I was wondering is if anyone has experimented with increasing the color temperature with CT gels (cinematic gels). I have a large access to it, and full CT Blue can increase the color temperature of my light from 6500 to around 7500. And of course I can also double that up.

So the main question is, until what point would increasing color temperature be beneficial for my little mushroom kingdom?

Edited by RideAllBears (08/12/12 07:28 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblex CiVil x

Loc: Flying With Mother Nature
Re: Using Color Temperature Gels to make the light source bluer? [Re: RideAllBears]
    #16686320 - 08/12/12 07:30 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

What's the suns color temperature?

--------------------
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” Bruce Lee

myco-tek.org

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Using Color Temperature Gels to make the light source bluer? [Re: x CiVil x]
    #16686332 - 08/12/12 07:34 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

until what point would increasing color temperature be beneficial for my little mushroom kingdom?

5000k to maybe 8000K is good, ideal is right around 6500K
So in your particular case, no special benefit. Especially as a first time grower.
There are so many other variables for this grow that it is not really measurable, but 6500K is standard because it works well.

Later as an advanced grower you may want to come back to this question.
Once you can grow consistent tubs and have an isolate culture to work with, fine tuning becomes possible.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineRideAllBears
rawr

Re: Using Color Temperature Gels to make the light source bluer? [Re: Doc_T]
    #16686337 - 08/12/12 07:35 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Sun Light is at 6500k.

And yeah, of course I understand where you are coming from. Fortunately it would just involve framing a sheet of the gels between the light source and the terrarium.

Edited by RideAllBears (08/12/12 07:37 AM)

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Using Color Temperature Gels to make the light source bluer? [Re: RideAllBears]
    #16686354 - 08/12/12 07:43 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, no benefit in this case from the color shift, and you lose intensity. So not useful.

Good job asking first instead of just going ahead. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineRideAllBears
rawr

#16686374 - 08/12/12 07:50 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah thanks man, but the thing is these color temperature gels are made to alter color temp and that alone.

These gels are Film industry standard, these are meant for Hollywood. If there is any change in intensity, it would be virtually negligible. I wish I had a light meter on me.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16686392 - 08/12/12 07:56 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Still no benefit though, shifting up from 6500K.
If you were going from 4500 to 6500 it might make sense.
But 6500K is what you want, you aren't gaining anything with this.

--------------------

OfflineRideAllBears
rawr

#16686640 - 08/12/12 09:27 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Cool, well thanks a lot man. Maybe at some other point I'll try it out.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16686665 - 08/12/12 09:36 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You said terrarium- are you using a shotgun fc? If not, that might be your first experiment.

--------------------

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Trusted Cultivator
    #16686995 - 08/12/12 11:13 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Color Gels don't make the light bluer, they reduce all the other colors so that you only see blue.  The amount of blue light energy wont change.

I do wonder if there's a difference from all blue light compared to more full spectrum.

Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nelson Mandela House, Peckham Flag
Re: Using Color Temperature Gels to make the light source bluer? [Re: StygianKnight]
    #16687052 - 08/12/12 11:32 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hey why ask if it will work , why not just try and report back with the findings . If it does work then good for you and if it fails then you can always try something else. 10 years ago people grow mushrooms in the dark and now under light for all we know Hollywood blue light district could be the next big thing .

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Using Color Temperature Gels to make the light source bluer? [Re: mandrax360] * 1
    #16687062 - 08/12/12 11:35 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hey why ask if it will work , why not just try it

:dumbass:

:whippedcreamhead:

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #16687095 - 08/12/12 11:45 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RideAllBears said:
Yeah thanks man, but the thing is these color temperature gels are made to alter color temp and that alone.

These gels are Film industry standard, these are meant for Hollywood. If there is any change in intensity, it would be virtually negligible. I wish I had a light meter on me.

I have a shit-ton of those from doing videography, but they're just filters.  They only 'change' the color temperature in the sense they filter out the undesired bandwidths.  If they could amplify the correct range, they'd be great but they don't.

If you have a 6500K, you're damn close to the best artificial light you can use.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinemoksha
Stranger
Re: Using Color Temperature Gels to make the light source bluer? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #16687229 - 08/12/12 12:16 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

RideAllBears said:

I have a shit-ton of those from doing videography, but they're just filters.  They only 'change' the color temperature in the sense they filter out the undesired bandwidths.  If they could amplify the correct range, they'd be great but they don't.

If you have a 6500K, you're damn close to the best artificial light you can use.
RR

I'd agree with that - I'm pro horticulture, but new to this myco loveliness - If growing (plants) under light, then for the vegetative stage (leaf/stem/root growth), then metal halide lighting is best (sunlight/blue colour temperature) - when you want to shift into flowering mode then it's onto the sodium lamps (orange, like a streetlamp - over here in the UK anyway) a more autumnal colour temperature....no doubt that is not the same as fruiting juicy pins...stick with the blue for that....

Cheers - great site, most useful....

Edited by moksha (08/12/12 12:18 PM)

Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nelson Mandela House, Peckham Flag
    #16687564 - 08/12/12 01:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

Hey why ask if it will work , why not just try it

:dumbass:

:whippedcreamhead:

You must get lonely at times , I feel for you . Having no life but the shroomery must be hard but to a prick like yourself it feels normal .

Offlinezepski
Ya Momma
Male User Gallery

Re: Using Color Temperature Gels to make the light source bluer? [Re: mandrax360]
    #16687624 - 08/12/12 01:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Doubt he gets lonely there are plenty of noobs to talk to that dont have a clue what they are doing but think they can write a book on the subject.  Not to mention the people who try to troll lol.  I love this place lol

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds