Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAnticipation
Stranger

need help reinstalling ubuntu windows keeps crashing
    #16674324 - 08/09/12 11:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

so yeah idk how about reinstalling ubuntu i don't have the cd for it and every time i try to log into windows it restarts my pc so i have to use ubuntu but i installed the the distribution of ubuntu with the lowest space and when i went back and tried to reinstall my windows keeps crashing i have a thumb drive but i cant even download the iso to make the ubuntu installer on it any help would be great thanks i wanna start gaming again!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: need help reinstalling ubuntu windows keeps crashing [Re: Anticipation]
    #16674508 - 08/10/12 12:19 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

WHOA

:facepalm:

how did you get the .iso image of ubuntu installed on the hdd in the first place. Every time you try and start windows your computer restarts? There is no error message like 'OS not found' just a blue screen?

Well I can't help you with your formatting issues, you need to figure that out on your own, I recommend burning gparted .iso to a disk, how you manage those partitions is up to you, don't try re sizing them too much because eventually you'll end up with a problem with contiguous partitions on the disk, that aren't contiguous.

Now I recommend, to fix all mbr and grub issues, download boot-repair-disk, google it, get it to an .iso, then burn it to a disk. Boot to it, and click repair grub. Or you can boot to the ubuntu cd, create a boot info summary, then upload the log file here, or just copy and paste the information. The grub script however, may be of your live cd, and not of your internal storage disk.

Windows not working at all? Maybe just re install it to that partition. Make sure you use the same activation key, if the same activation key doesn't work twice, then you've got some problems that you need to google either how to crack wat and that activation key with something like slic loader, or contact microsoft for a new activation key.

Best of luck. Btw when you say "I want to get back to gaming" I assume you mean with windows. Linux handles most high res games fairly horrible, and in that case I would recommend windows 7 with highest directx directx11, even windows 8 still uses directx 11 so I'd stick with windows 7 if you are like me and aren't a fanatic of the windows 8 interface.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

OfflineAnticipation
Stranger

Re: need help reinstalling ubuntu windows keeps crashing [Re: imachavel]
    #16674523 - 08/10/12 12:22 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

nvm im downloading gparted from the software center see if this works.

--------------------

Edited by Anticipation (08/10/12 12:34 AM)

OfflineAnticipation
Stranger

#16674731 - 08/10/12 01:33 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

well i installed gparted but it keeps crashing when i try to open it after installed :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #16674735 - 08/10/12 01:35 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Do you have a Windows license (incl. a valid product key) and the installation medium (dvd)? If yes to both, then just pop in the Windows dvd and start installing. When the installer proposes a partitioning scheme for your hard drive, simply accept the proposal of the installer. That'll replace your Ubuntu installation with a fresh Windows.

If you don't have a windows install media and a valid license key, I cannot help you.

OfflineAnticipation
Stranger

Re: need help reinstalling ubuntu windows keeps crashing [Re: koraks]
    #16674762 - 08/10/12 01:47 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i have the keys i just need to buy another set of disks i guess

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #16674814 - 08/10/12 02:13 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

In that case, I would recommend downloading the install media somewhere; I couldn't point you into the right direction, but it should be relatively easy to come by online. Just make sure you get the right version to match your license key, otherwise it might not work.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #16674964 - 08/10/12 03:48 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

let's recap... your window's partition is fubar'd, but you can still boot into ubuntu... the problem is you don't have enough space on your ubuntu partition... correct?

why don't you use ubuntu's disk utility to delete your windows partition and resize ubuntu's?

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: need help reinstalling ubuntu windows keeps crashing [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #16675014 - 08/10/12 04:23 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

He's into gaming, so Ubuntu probably isn't going to be of much use to him.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#16675035 - 08/10/12 04:54 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
He's into gaming, so Ubuntu probably isn't going to be of much use to him.

From what I gathered Ubuntu is all he has at the moment and he lacks the space to even download an ISO... so he either needs to set up ntfs write support on ubuntu to save the file to his windows partition or he needs to get rid of it...

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Invisiblekoraks
    #16675053 - 08/10/12 05:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Nothing has been said about any backups or other computers that could be used to download stuff.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#16675100 - 08/10/12 05:48 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Nothing has been said about any backups or other computers that could be used to download stuff.

Lol, little has been said period.. but if he intends to do a clean install of Ubuntu, like the title of the thread suggests (for more space?) I stand by my suggestion to not do that and just delete the Windows partition and resize the Ubuntu partition with disk utility. Ultimately if he wants to swipe the Windows install media and maybe use unetbootin to prepare his thumb drive with it, more power to him :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #16675112 - 08/10/12 05:55 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

> Lol, little has been said period..
Very true! Which makes it even more difficult to offer any help.

Having said that: I'm not too keen about resizing partitions. After 15 years of messing with that, the software industry still hasn't come up with a solution that does it reliably and quickly. Yes, sure, it's easy if applied to a partition with little or no (fragmented) data on it. But resizing a partition that has actually been used tends to be a different story.

If backup is an issue, then I would recommend booting from a Ubuntu disk, hooking up a USB drive, backing up all data, and start all over with a clean disk (i.e. delete all partitions). Then install whatever OS(es) you want on there.

OfflineAnticipation
Stranger

#16676138 - 08/10/12 11:56 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

ok im in disk utility what do i do now?

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #16676153 - 08/10/12 11:58 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Clearly explain what you're trying to achieve would be a good start.

OfflineAnticipation
Stranger

#16676185 - 08/10/12 12:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i just want some more space on ubuntu so i can get both of my operating systems back

--------------------

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#16676313 - 08/10/12 12:27 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

they've explained it to you quite a few times. I kind of agree with cosmic joke and koraks. Resizing partitions can cause issues with contiguous partitions. Listen, OP, once you get all your disks worked out, you probably want:

gparted
ubuntu 12.4 LTS
windows 7 with activation key or other version

then my suggestion. Use gparted, and delete every partition on your drive. Then re partition it with equal partitions, this should prevent an issue with contiguous file partitions that don't match up. We honestly, don't have much info btw, we don't know what size hdd or ssd you are using, in terms of how many gb or tb you have to work with. Or what model of computer, version of windows, how you installed ubuntu, etc. did you do it online through wubi? Or burn the image to cd and install it from boot?

Ok so once you delete all previous partitions, then you can re install both OS on equal sized partitions if you want. Or perhaps you need a larger hard disk drive, you can buy a terabyte online from newegg now for like $75 and sometimes less give or take. You could create two partitions each being 500 gb. Now I agree with koraks, for ubuntu the installation should work just great. For windows you will need an activation key, if you have your old one that'll probably work, otherwise you need to look up windows license activation on google for a bit and see various problems with new activations and ways around it. An activation key can be just as expensive as windows by itself, so perhaps you should just buy a brand new windows 7 oem version for maybe a little over $100 if you want windows to install smoothly, unless you know where your old activation key is

hint:

if your computer was bought from factory and not self built, your product key and service tag should be on a little sticker on the side of the tower, usually the left side. But if you have your windows disk with you the activation key will be on the back of the case. There are many documents on google to help explain to you simple things such as

How to install an operating system
how to choose the disk drive to boot to from the bios
how to install windows with an activation key
how to install all necessary drivers from a fresh install of an operating system

google some of those things and look for photos, videos, etc. and you should be fine. Otherwise without more info about your make and model etc. what caused windows to crash in the first place etc. there is not much more that can be done. Best of luck :thumbup:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#16676333 - 08/10/12 12:29 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Anticipation said:
i just want some more space on ubuntu so i can get both of my operating systems back

you can resize the ubuntu partition over windows after burning gparted to disk and booting to it. As koraks and cosmicjoke mentioned this contains a risk that the partitions won't be contiguous. Either way, for sure you won't be able to re install windows if you re size over this partition. Linux isn't fantastic for gaming anyway, but with your low hdd space I'm wondering if you have a great gaming rig gpu and processor anyway. How large is your hdd exactly that you mention that resizing one partition a few gigs leaves the ability to use the other partition completely moot? More info, please

:mad2:

--------------------

OfflineAnticipation
Stranger

Re: need help reinstalling ubuntu windows keeps crashing [Re: imachavel]
    #16676342 - 08/10/12 12:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

lol well if i had just a little more space i could mount the windows iso and reinstall that thats all i need tbh

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#16676353 - 08/10/12 12:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I don't use Ubuntu, so I can't give you precise step by step instructions...  It's a pretty user friendly app as i recall, but you should definitely understand what you're doing before proceeding.

If you decide to use the utility to delete your Windows / NTFS partition, make sure if you need anything backed up from it, to do so before proceeding...

You have a variety of options once it's deleted, you can expand your Ubuntu partition, create another partition in EXT4... set things up how you want... google is your friend.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale