Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Placebo
    #16659355 - 08/07/12 08:47 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

As a geezer I have many aches and pains - and no, I am not here to whine about them. The point is: they come and go like the tides.

If I took a placebo, would the underlying condition get better? No, but I might be convinced that when I am in a low pain tide that the placebo is working even though there was no correlation as the pain subsides anyway.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Placebo [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #16659401 - 08/07/12 09:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

And this is your complete understanding of the placebo effect?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Placebo [Re: Icelander]
    #16659429 - 08/07/12 09:15 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The word complete never appeared. This was not a treatise nor thesis nor a white paper being submitted to peer review.

Confirmation bias is certainly a portion of the placebo effect, do you deny that?

--------------------

InvisibleSynchro
 User Gallery

Loc: Brooklyn, NY Flag
    #16659461 - 08/07/12 09:25 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I believe part of the reason why a placebo works is the belief beforehand that it will cause an effect. I don't see how you can accomplish this if you already know it's a placebo. Maybe try some sort of herbal remedy that others already believe in its effectiveness.

--------------------
Anaïs Nin - "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Placebo [Re: Synchro]
    #16659569 - 08/07/12 09:55 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I believe several studies now have shown that even when the patients were told the pill they were receiving was a placebo, they still responded to the effect.  Even more, the placebo response appears to be getting stronger in many drug trials.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleAbsolute

Loc: Amish Paradise
Re: Placebo [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #16659583 - 08/07/12 09:59 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Drug companies are developing better placebos all the time.

InvisibleSynchro
 User Gallery

#16659604 - 08/07/12 10:03 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
I believe several studies now have shown that even when the patients were told the pill they were receiving was a placebo, they still responded to the effect.  Even more, the placebo response appears to be getting stronger in many drug trials.

Are you sure they weren't told afterwards they were in fact taking a placebo?

Hmm...interesting: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/dec/22/placebo-effect-patients-sham-drug

Quote:

Patients can benefit from being treated with sham drugs even if they are told they contain no active ingredient, scientists have found. The finding suggests that the placebo effect could work without the need for any deception on the part of the doctor, as had been previously thought.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#16659607 - 08/07/12 10:04 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You could say the same thing about an actual pain killer.

Many, if not most drugs are not meant to cure, they're meant to treat.  They have no effect on the underlying condition, the drugs are meant to make the conditional symptoms more manageable. 

So in the case you have laid out, it really doesn't matter whether it was real or fake. Except that the real might bring on additional side effects to worry about.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#16659694 - 08/07/12 10:29 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
The word complete never appeared. This was not a treatise nor thesis nor a white paper being submitted to peer review.

Confirmation bias is certainly a portion of the placebo effect, do you deny that?

I don't deny anything.  Just think it's kind of incomplete.

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #16659785 - 08/07/12 10:53 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It's also a common feature of human behavior that when one is taking/using a non-functioning therapy, they also tend to take better care of themselves as a consequence, thus reinforcing the false belief that placebos give lasting benefit.

For example, Joe Fatguy starts wearing the new magnetic Jesus bracelet with "healing copper" because he read on the intertubes that it helps you lose weight. Well, with that heavy shit hanging on his arm, every time he goes to stuff food in his face, he gets a little reminder and as a result he loses weight. He could have worn a fishing weight and gotten the same effect for a hell of a lot less money. And he would have looked less stoopid too.

I love that pic.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #16659812 - 08/07/12 11:00 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I believe several studies now have shown that even when the patients were told the pill they were receiving was a placebo, they still responded to the effect.

I'm not sure that's true. I've posted this here before, but it bears repeating:

Fabrizio Benedetti of the University of Turin in Italy recently performed an interesting experiment.

For several days, he physically induced pain in volunteers and controlled it with morphine, which the volunteers knew about. Toward the end of the experiment, he substituted saline for the morphine without telling the subjects. Not surprisingly, the saline worked almost as well as the morphine. This is the Placebo Effect.

Now the weird part:

Benedetti next added naloxone to the saline but still didn't tell the subjects. Naloxone is a drug that blocks the effects of morphine. Guess what happened then? The pain CAME BACK! This happened, even though there was no morphine in the saline for the naloxone to block!

The morphine blocker blocked the (non-existing morphine) placebo effect!

It is not understood how this can be, but it is becoming apparent that the placebo effect is somehow at least partially biochemical and not entirely psychological.

The Placebo Effect used to be considered a purely psychological phenomenon because if the patient is told that he's getting a placebo and not the actual morphine, suddenly the placebo effect stops. Knowledge that they're getting placebo cancels the placebo effect. That reads like a psychological phenomenon.

But now we find that the placebo effect can be eliminated when an antidote to the drug the patient THINKS he's getting is given instead, even though he still thinks he's getting the drug.

Somehow, the patient is chemically manifesting the effects of morphine without morphine, not just psychologically manifesting those effects. The brain does produce trace amounts of morphine, but not near enough to account for the analgesia exhibited in the experiment.

This is an interesting result. What it might mean is even more interesting.

If the placebo effect is not entirely psychological (which it can't be or the covert naloxone would not stop the placebo morphine), then where does the placebo analgesia come from?

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Re: Placebo [Re: Diploid]
    #16660068 - 08/07/12 11:49 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Wait a minute, so what happens if the patient is given the real drug but told it's just a placebo. Does that make the drug more or less effective?

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #16660310 - 08/07/12 12:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:

Source?

Much of the concensus on this topic seems to conflate the measurement errors that controlled experiments tend to correct with the administration of the substance.  There are very few experiments even capable of detecting this yet people make the fallacious conclusions all the time, and sloppy reporting exacerbates the issue.

';lkjhgf
Quote:

Synchro said:
Quote:

HagbardCeline said:

Are you sure they weren't told afterwards they were in fact taking a placebo?

Hmm...interesting: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/dec/22/placebo-effect-patients-sham-drug

Quote:

Patients can benefit from being treated with sham drugs even if they are told they contain no active ingredient, scientists have found. The finding suggests that the placebo effect could work without the need for any deception on the part of the doctor, as had been previously thought.

That doesn't suggest the patient knows its a placebo- the doctor lied to them and told them it had no chemical function yet would still work to improve their symptoms.  The patients still had an expectation of treatment.

Further, this is an example of the experimental design limitations I discussed previously- there was no control for the diagnosis, evaluation, treatment, and interaction with medical staff.  Its known that when a witch doctor performs a scenario or a doctor asks you questions people feel better- this says nothing about whether the chemical caused the improvement, the interaction, or even measurement error due to no control for the interaction with the medical establishment.

Quote:

Diploid said:

But now we find that the placebo effect can be eliminated when an antidote to the drug the patient THINKS he's getting is given instead, even though he still thinks he's getting the drug.

Somehow, the patient is chemically manifesting the effects of morphine without morphine, not just psychologically manifesting those effects. The brain does produce trace amounts of morphine, but not near enough to account for the analgesia exhibited in the experiment.

This is not necessarily true- much of the so-called opioid antagonists are actually reverse agonists.  They don't simply block the binding sites (which itself would cause issues as it probably blocks endorophin activity) but they actually stimulate the receptor in the opposite direction- a sort of reverse action rather than the null action a true antagonist causes.

As a result, its quite possible their pain threshold was lowered and psychotropic effects were felt regardless of the stimulus.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#16660338 - 08/07/12 12:44 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It is not understood how this can be, but it is becoming apparent that the placebo effect is somehow at least partially biochemical and not entirely psychological.

And why I don't take the effect lightly. It bears in-depth study as much as any major medical procedure or drug.  Problem??? Where's the $$$$$ for the fat cats running at least parts of the medical profession who don't give a rats ass if you are well or die or in pain or not as long as you pay.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#16660403 - 08/07/12 12:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I remember that experiment as well, perhaps it was from when you posted it before. 

But here is one of the studies about it still working when the subjects were instructed upfront they were receiving inert substances. 

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0015591

Lead author's interview (transcript) on NPR about placebos.

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/06/144794035/one-scholars-take-on-the-power-of-the-placebo

Several interesting things in the interview.  About how even when the sham treatment produces no objective improvement, the subjective experiences were still rated very effective.

I just find placebo fascinating and happy to see that instead of just trying to figure out ways to eliminate the effect, experiments are now being designed to more fully understand and exploit it.

--------------------

Edited by HagbardCeline (08/07/12 07:06 PM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Placebo [Re: johnm214]
    #16660441 - 08/07/12 01:06 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think the mu-opioid receptor has basal activity. But I may be wrong. Biochemistry isn't my area.

--------------------
Republican Values:

InvisibleSynchro
 User Gallery

Re: Placebo [Re: Kizzle]
    #16660463 - 08/07/12 01:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Kizzle said:
Wait a minute, so what happens if the patient is given the real drug but told it's just a placebo. Does that make the drug more or less effective?

It's my understanding that the patients expectations can affect 'real' drugs just as it would a placebo. (My understanding on this subject is still evolving, so take it for what it's worth.)

--------------------

InvisibleSynchro
 User Gallery

#16660481 - 08/07/12 01:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Moreover, a lot of so-called 'real' drugs (e.g. SSRIs) positive effects are thought to be mostly placebo.

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #16660587 - 08/07/12 01:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Where do you get your misinformation? It's a first-rate source.

--------------------
Republican Values:

InvisibleSynchro
 User Gallery

#16660636 - 08/07/12 01:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
Where do you get your misinformation? It's a first-rate source.

There are literally thousands of articles on this subject. I have an opinion that the side effects felt from antidepressants cause the user to have a placebo effect, causing the depression to subside.

Considering that the mechanism of how drugs like SSRIs even work is still unknown (or if they even work), I think it's a fairly rational opinion, one which many even in the pharma/medical-industrial complex share.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder