Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSeanfu
Jesus Christ Tacos

Loc: Brazil Flag
Aspergers and finding employment * 1
    #16630392 - 08/01/12 08:08 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Not too sure where to put this or where I would get best replies...

Anyway, I have realized over the last year or so that I have at least borderline aspergers... I have always been socially weird or lacking understanding in emotional and communicational understanding/interpretation. Over the last year I saw the south park episode on Aspergers, and researched it. I really resonated with this episode and reaized I had similar views about everything being shit. Upon seeing the episode I found out most of the symptoms I researched applied to me.

Anyway please help me I am looking for career advice for aspies and am trying to be happy with my life. It is very hard to not be miserable with a daily grind, and I want to feel fulfillment and happiness.

or the other aspies this is an article I found with some limited career advice.. 

Aspergers career advice

--------------------
I am a chronic liar.

:etjesus: :whacker: :coleman: :awewtf:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThe Phleg
Big Dick Chakra
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Aspergers and finding employment [Re: Seanfu]
    #16630405 - 08/01/12 08:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
You wanna get high? Drink tap water.
--------------------

Offlinehappymealplease
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Aspergers and finding employment [Re: The Phleg]
    #16630451 - 08/01/12 08:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

the daily grind sucks because it's the daily grind, everyone hates it most of the time but acts otherwise because they know everyone feels the same way so you might as well try to make a positive environment.

i have a hard time with emotions and people too, but every job i've had i've kicked ass at and most people have several good things to say about me.

anyone can self-diagnose a mental illness, if you had aspergers people around you would know.  people are too eager to be sick, i'd bet everything i love that the majority of people who live their lives thinking they have a mental illness are experiencing a natural life and have been convinced that they have a disease.

OfflineSeanfu
Jesus Christ Tacos

Re: Aspergers and finding employment [Re: happymealplease] * 1
    #16630488 - 08/01/12 08:25 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

happymealplease said:
the daily grind sucks because it's the daily grind, everyone hates it most of the time but acts otherwise because they know everyone feels the same way so you might as well try to make a positive environment.

i have a hard time with emotions and people too, but every job i've had i've kicked ass at and most people have several good things to say about me.

anyone can self-diagnose a mental illness, if you had aspergers people around you would know.  people are too eager to be sick, i'd bet everything i love that the majority of people who live their lives thinking they have a mental illness are experiencing a natural life and have been convinced that they have a disease.

Many people who have borderline Aspies got 5 10 15 years enduring thinking they are just weird and then figuring out why things are difficult in said careers.

In short, youre an asshole.

--------------------
I am a chronic liar.

Offlinehappymealplease
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Aspergers and finding employment [Re: happymealplease]
    #16630534 - 08/01/12 08:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

what you're explaining doesn't sound like aspergers, it sounds like you're having a hard time adjusting to a life lacking personal fulfillment.  don't be so eager to have an illness, i know it has an appeal but do your damnedest to adjust without giving yourself a label like that.

fulfillment doesn't come from finding an illness that suits you, it comes from finding things that give you fulfillment.  usually found in people, which might be why you're having a hard time with life.  if you find one person you enjoy most of the time (because noone enjoys someone ALL of the time), i bet your view on life, and your ability to relate with others, will dramatically improve.

Edited by happymealplease (08/01/12 08:32 PM)

OfflineSeanfu
Jesus Christ Tacos

#16630584 - 08/01/12 08:37 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

happymealplease said:
what you're explaining doesn't sound like aspergers, it sounds like you're having a hard time adjusting to a life lacking personal fulfillment.  don't be so eager to have an illness, i know it has an appeal but do your damnedest to adjust without giving yourself a label like that.

This is why youre wrong in this particular situation

AS reflects deviations or abnormalities in four aspects of development:

(1) Social relatedness and social skills

(2) The use of language for purposes of communication

(3) Certain behavioral and stylistic characteristics such as repetitive or persevering features

(4) Limited, but intense, range of interests

These dysfunctional features can range from mild to severe

“The Epidemiology of Asperger Syndrome: A Total Population Study" by Ehlers and Gillberg (www.asperger.org 2001), it is estimated that the prevalence of Asperger is 2.6 per 1,000 individuals. With the population of the U.S. currently estimated at 275 million (July 2000), this would mean an estimated 715,000 people are affected by Asperger's syndrome in the U.S. alone”
Stewart, K. (2002). Helping a Child with Nonverbal Learning Disorder or Asperger's Syndrome, p. 148

AS is characterized by:

• high cognitive abilities - or, at least, “normal” IQ level
• extending into the very superior range of cognitive ability
• normal language function when compared to other autistic disorders
• difficulties with pragmatic, or social language
• a better prognosis than other Autism spectrum disorders

A lot of people can have social awkwardness/ anxiety that is debilitating, but if you research this a lot more people than are diagnosed have this.

This is an interpretive disability on my part, a lot of people in these forums I would expect to be aspies.

--------------------
I am a chronic liar.

Offlinehappymealplease
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #16630628 - 08/01/12 08:43 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i'm being devils advocate because as soon as you get into the mindset of "i have aspergers", you're going to find it easier to write off your need to improve self because "i have aspergers" and other people will give you less responsibility in certain areas or choose not to deal with you because "he/she has aspergers".

if you have aspergers, fine, and i can't change how you think, but i'll challenge you to just pretend for a while that you're just confused and need to give life some more time.  seriously man, i've KNOWN people who were ridiculously awkward in social situations and they eventually got better because they weren't sick in the first place, they just needed some more life experience, a lesson (or several) they needed to wait and learn.  as soon as you fall into "i have illness"...  fight it.  fight it.

do you use any recreational drugs?

Edited by happymealplease (08/01/12 08:44 PM)

InvisibleThe Phleg
Big Dick Chakra
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
    #16630642 - 08/01/12 08:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Come on, guy. Just think of this as a thread about anti-social people looking for jobs.

--------------------
You wanna get high? Drink tap water.
--------------------

OfflineAll We Perceive
Sea Cucumber
Male

#16630643 - 08/01/12 08:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I knew a kid in school who had Asperger's.  He was pretty fucked in the head by religion but he had the completely inability to read my facial expression indicating I was done with the conversation.  Everyone else on earth got it; my god that was annoying.  He also was really bad at following the flow of a convo and would constantly go off on tangents that did not naturally flow from the stated conversation thus far.  That said, you should not be self-diagnosing yourself.  The factors you listed are quite vague and should not be used where you don't know specifically what they mean.  That said, no offense, but if you do actually have Asperger's therapy would definitely be worth it.  Social interaction is key to success in any industry.

--------------------

"plus they atually think jambands are good or sumthing, so they clearly know absolutely nothing about music, clearly lol" -Bassfreak

Edited by All We Perceive (08/01/12 08:46 PM)

Anonymous #1

Re: Aspergers and finding employment [Re: All We Perceive]
    #16630721 - 08/01/12 08:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

hey man, if you throw yourself out there and man up im sure you can beat this.

seriously, just go for it

OfflineSeanfu
Jesus Christ Tacos

Re: Aspergers and finding employment [Re: All We Perceive] * 1
    #16630753 - 08/01/12 09:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

All We Perceive said:
I knew a kid in school who had Asperger's.  He was pretty fucked in the head by religion but he had the completely inability to read my facial expression indicating I was done with the conversation.  Everyone else on earth got it; my god that was annoying.  He also was really bad at following the flow of a convo and would constantly go off on tangents that did not naturally flow from the stated conversation thus far.  That said, you should not be self-diagnosing yourself.  The factors you listed are quite vague and should not be used where you don't know specifically what they mean.  That said, no offense, but if you do actually have Asperger's therapy would definitely be worth it.  Social interaction is key to success in any industry.

I never understand subtle gestures, nonverbal communication etc.

I dont know when a convo is hinted at being done, I go off on tangents and do inconsiderate shit without knowing etc. I am pissed everyone wont just go with it. I am not simply awkward or antisocial...

As far as diagnosis I really hope you are joking. You know how I get diagnosed with seasonal affective depressive disorder? I tell the doctor please give me a diagnosis here... He gets a checklist out.... I tell him I feel sapped in the winter months and fall months when theres less sunlight. I tell him I feel manic at times and lose my attention span. I tell him I feel very numb and unable to be expressive/creative/ or diverse in what I do.

His guideline for diagnosis is damn near google....

I would prefer to not be listed as aspergers but I am not stupid. I need to get a career so I can buy a hot tub and lots of molly to party with and gorilla fuck a family into existence. I want to be able to support a family without hating what I do. I worked an extremely debilitating job for a year and a half. I am not lazy, and that job was upper level fast food. I did this to support myself but I hated my life every day I had to work so hard to communicate with coworkers and people every day.

I cant communicate no matter how hard I try. Now if you posters would help me find resources or get lost so I can get responses from other high functioning aspies it would be appreciated.

--------------------
I am a chronic liar.

OfflineSeanfu
Jesus Christ Tacos

Re: Aspergers and finding employment [Re: Anonymous #1] * 1
    #16630756 - 08/01/12 09:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
hey man, if you throw yourself out there and man up im sure you can beat this.

seriously, just go for it

Thats what people tell bulemics and manic depressives, works every time.

For the record I work on these social things and get pretty decently adapted to social behavior... only issue is it is not intuitive and i regress easily, also when working a lot of hours I stress hard and cant manage multitasking in my life. I try but its hard. I regressed badly when I was working.

--------------------
I am a chronic liar.

Edited by Seanfu (08/01/12 09:05 PM)

OfflineAll We Perceive
Sea Cucumber
Male

#16630875 - 08/01/12 09:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Seanfu said:
Quote:

All We Perceive said:

I never understand subtle gestures, nonverbal communication etc.

I dont know when a convo is hinted at being done, I go off on tangents and do inconsiderate shit without knowing etc. I am pissed everyone wont just go with it. I am not simply awkward or antisocial...

As far as diagnosis I really hope you are joking. You know how I get diagnosed with seasonal affective depressive disorder? I tell the doctor please give me a diagnosis here... He gets a checklist out.... I tell him I feel sapped in the winter months and fall months when theres less sunlight. I tell him I feel manic at times and lose my attention span. I tell him I feel very numb and unable to be expressive/creative/ or diverse in what I do.

His guideline for diagnosis is damn near google....

I would prefer to not be listed as aspergers but I am not stupid. I need to get a career so I can buy a hot tub and lots of molly to party with and gorilla fuck a family into existence. I want to be able to support a family without hating what I do. I worked an extremely debilitating job for a year and a half. I am not lazy, and that job was upper level fast food. I did this to support myself but I hated my life every day I had to work so hard to communicate with coworkers and people every day.

I cant communicate no matter how hard I try. Now if you posters would help me find resources or get lost so I can get responses from other high functioning aspies it would be appreciated.

I was referring to a legit psychologist who specialized in that type of thing.  Not some crackpot $25/hr dude.  There are several books on living with aspergers on amazon with good reviews.  I read some books on borderline personality disorder to understand my mother better.  It's certainly not a waste of time.  Here's some for asperger's...  A la . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Pretending-Be-Normal-Aspergers-Syndrome/dp/1853027499/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343877584&sr=8-1&keywords=living+with+aspergers

http://www.amazon.com/Asperger-Syndrome-Long-Term-Relationships-Stanford/dp/1843107341/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343877584&sr=8-3&keywords=living+with+aspergers

http://www.amazon.com/Aspergers-From-Inside-Out-AspergersSyndrome/dp/0399533974/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1343877584&sr=8-11&keywords=living+with+aspergers

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Tell-About-Asperger-Syndrome/dp/1843102064/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1343877584&sr=8-15&keywords=living+with+aspergers

--------------------

"plus they atually think jambands are good or sumthing, so they clearly know absolutely nothing about music, clearly lol" -Bassfreak

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#16632450 - 08/02/12 06:55 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

happymealplease said:
people are too eager to be sick, i'd bet everything i love that the majority of people who live their lives thinking they have a mental illness are experiencing a natural life and have been convinced that they have a disease.

As someone with Aspergers, I am officially required to say fuck you. But personally? Fuck you you fucking cunt.

It's not a disease. I see the world differently to you do. It's not something you get one day, rest up in bed then it's gone. I will always think differently, act different and be different to you.

People want to call it aspergers, that's fine by me. It used to be called being eccentric, which I think it's far more appropriate. Hans Asperger is some Austrian bloke I know very little about. Being eccentric is something I've know about all my life.

I may as well re-iterate that people with aspergers have little to no social intuition as well as not being able to prioritise (either it's important and ought to be done, or it's not and shant be). This is why only 15% of people with aspergers are in full time employment, because most employers can not and will not deal with them.

--------------------

Offlinehappymealplease
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Aspergers and finding employment [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #16632770 - 08/02/12 09:06 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

disease of the mind, disorder, illness, whatever term makes you feel better about it (it is just word games).  you can tell me off all you want, i'm not offended in the least.  you need to do what you need to get by in the world, the presence or absence of aspergers (or any illness) doesn't change that.

call me a cunt, but i do have empathy for people with illness. that doesn't change the fact that you're a human being and need to learn to operate on a "normal" level to survive, or at least be able to when you're expected to, then go lose your shit in private.  besides, you took my quote out of context, it wasn't directed at people with aspergers to say "you don't have it so fuck off".  we don't even know if this guy has aspergers, i'm encouraging him to pretend he's just being stupid and instead expect life experience to sort him out.  you should know from personal experience that that'd be easier to deal with than actually having aspergers.

Edited by happymealplease (08/02/12 09:11 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder