Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
60/40 casing is sloooooooooooooooow (follow up)
    #1649749 - 06/20/03 09:31 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ok, I know my friend will probably get yelled at for this, and be scolded with "patience, noob," but he is starting to get a little worried about his coco coir casing. He cased it about a week ago using Roadkill's coir tek and the casing 101 tek and he incubated it at 86 degrees. Now he read that usually it takes 4-6 days for the mycelium to start coming through the casing layer, and that's fine that it hasn't yet. But he was a little impatient and he took a sterile metal object and moved a tiny part of the casing layer aside to take a look at how the mycelium was coming along. It looked exactly the way it did when he first covered it. No growth of any kind, nothing trying to stick together, nada. Every other tek and attempt at anything he has done has occured in the recommended time or less, and he is wondering if anyone has direct experience with having to wait a while for this particular casing to colonize.

Also, what is this particular casing supposed to smell like? It has a mild chemically smell, not bad at all, but just kinda sharp or weird. It has smelled like that since the second he put the casing on, but he's just curious of anyone can describe the correct smell.

Finally, what happens if you made the casing layer a tiny bit too thick (say 1:3 not 1:4), would it just take longer to colonize or could it have negative impacts? One casing is 2 brf cakes and 1 casing is 4 brf cakes.

Sorry about the long post, thanks in advance for any help.

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Edited by kukusz (06/23/03 11:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAGICSNOOP
mob boss
Loc: bud park
Re: 60/40 casing is sloooooooooooooooow [Re: kukusz]
    #1649762 - 06/20/03 09:34 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

scrape it before u lose it i say

Offlinekukusz

Re: 60/40 casing is sloooooooooooooooow [Re: MAGICSNOOP]
    #1649768 - 06/20/03 09:36 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

lose it due to what? contam? Or do you just mean since it's taken so long he might as well recase? But if he does, what could he do to ensure this doesn't happen again?

oh, the sides of the container are taped up so no light enters, but he can easily take it off to see what it looks like. If stuff is working, what should it be doing, what should it look like?

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
    #1649791 - 06/20/03 09:42 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If it smells fermented... a little bit like bacardi limon or wine, then you might have some cobweb. I had a coir casing that contamed with that shit and just wouldn't colonize. Is the smell very pungent? And yes, having the thick casing layer could make it take longer to colonize. Hoe much casing do you actually have? And finally, did you buffer the casing with hydrated lime and a PH meter? If you did too much that could account for the slow colonization, if you did too little then that would make contams more of a possibility.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

OfflineMAGICSNOOP
mob boss
    #1649792 - 06/20/03 09:42 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i dont know but that sounds no good
r u sure that its not moving through ur casing?
if ur sure its not going take the casing off and if all still looks healthy just fruit it wiht out casing and check it often for contams.
or u can keep it but if it aint growing y keep it its gona dry up that rest and jsut fuck up

Offlinekukusz

#1649828 - 06/20/03 09:52 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It does smell kinda fermented - but not in a bad way, wouldn't say pungent... Digging around in there, it looks exactly like the day it was cased, no mold or cobweb or anything foreign looking. There was no lime used in the casing, couldn't find any at the time of these casings.

There is about 1/2 inch of casing for both trays.

How would one go about fruiting a bunch of little pieces of BRF cake with no casing? Just remove the casing and stick the remainder in the terrarium?

btw, thanks for responding, much appreciated...

--------------------

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
    #1649860 - 06/20/03 10:01 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

coir and verm smells like in my experience musty forest dirt. does that make sense? almost like a mulch just not as strong. it could be that you made it too wet or too dry. friend didn't use lime in his and they pinned 9 days after casing, three of which were in the incubator. for a buffer he just powdered some egg shells thinking that he had read to do this somewhere. my advice is to be patient and wait.

Offlinekukusz

Re: 60/40 casing is sloooooooooooooooow [Re: houshroom]
    #1649879 - 06/20/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

*sigh* - He'll give it another couple days... but 7 days in the incubator and no mycelial development at all is a little discouraging. Saying that it smells like mulch is a good description, I would say that is probably the best description (maybe mulch that's been drinking a little, though...). There are 20 other 1/2 pints and 8 quarts popcorn sitting around colonizing so he's not too worried about losing 6 1/2's.

--------------------

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

#1649918 - 06/20/03 10:20 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yea...this helps the time pass smoothly until the shrooms arrive

OfflineMAGICSNOOP
mob boss
    #1649921 - 06/20/03 10:21 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yeah u just put it on some perlite(so misting dont ruin the network its only brf cakes broke up????

Offlinekukusz

#1649939 - 06/20/03 10:27 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

lol... agreed. But he prefers his handle of...

and yes they are BRF cakes broke up, they are sitting on a layer of dry verm right now...

--------------------

Edited by kukusz (06/20/03 10:28 PM)

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

#1649944 - 06/20/03 10:29 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

you know i've never tried that but i see billboards everywhere for it. anyway your thread is officially off track.

Offlinekukusz

Re: 60/40 casing is sloooooooooooooooow [Re: houshroom]
    #1649963 - 06/20/03 10:37 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

lol - casing casing casing casing! Smelly casing!

--------------------

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

#1649993 - 06/20/03 10:47 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

looks like that tanqueray is kicking in!  i know my bombay is :crazy: 

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
    #1650254 - 06/21/03 02:26 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

patience young nubblet....
trust the caseing, it will work....
the more you go digging and poking around, the more chance of you contamin it....
i just did 2 caseings last week (verm and coir + oyster shells)
and they are JUST STARTING to show a TINY patch of myc.
and the strain of mush i am using is an EXTREMELY fast colonizer...

i bet any day now it will be doing fine....
if not, then you have a tray of mold....
either way theres nothing u can do about it

[hyp]

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: 60/40 casing is sloooooooooooooooow [Re: hyper_dermic]
    #1650303 - 06/21/03 03:24 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I am thinking that the casing layer is too wet. Also, hopefully you have air holes in whatever lid you have, anaerobic conditions plus high humidity is just perfect for molds and bacteria. You should see cobweb by now, it grows extremely fast and will take it over very quickly, but don?t rule it out quite yet.

I would say that if the mycelium looks EXACTLY the same as when it was applied, then something is wrong. But then again mycelium will poke up here and there at various times, and at random. You could have scraped a spot that no new growth has appeared, and directly next to that spot it could be ready the next day.

Basically your best indication is smell and its appearance. One week to grow through a half inch is a little long IME, you should see a little bit showing, but I bet it?s still possible. Patience and keep close eye for mold (cant see bacteria, so sniff carefully) is all you can do now. If you go digging it up or scraping it off when not necessary you will just stunt your casing further. And as hyper_dermic said, you have an even greater chance of contaminating it further.

But, if you determine it to be contaminated then your in for a gamble. Scrape it off, try not to leave anything. Spray with peroxide solution, drain if necessary, then incubate it for a few days to recover. Then repeat casing layer.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineAmanita_Dreamer
Rotting HumanCorpse

Loc: The 666th Plane of HELL
Re: 60/40 casing is kinda slooooooooow???? [Re: ATWAR]
    #1650323 - 06/21/03 03:53 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Once my iguana had Treasure Coast and got a pretty good first flush from but thought that things could have been better so he deep scratched , misted with h2o2 and nothing EVER fruited or grew at all for that matter ever again! He kept it for like a MONTH and nothing. No mycellial growth at all!!! Same kinda smell just like you described.I thought it was stale coco/verm. It wasnt rancid like a contam just weird.

Something was wrong but what who knows?? He just threw it away and kept on making more jars. He's alot better at it now...see... ... As you can see the first place that they fruit is around the edges, that seems to be the first place the mycellium pokes through.

Thats some Creepers on popcorn cased with Roadkills same Tek. My iguana keeps a close eye when the casing layer is inncubating. As soon as he sees mycellium creeping out he pulls the top and puts into the fruiting chamber. Then along with fanning 2-3 times and hour mists VERY heavily until just before full maturity of fruits.
My iguana also wants me to say that when he breaks up, or crumbles his cakes instead of cutting them, he gets more fruits. Some people like to cut some crumble ....personally I think crumling is the way to go. Marble size works for my iguana.

Then just add casing layer, inncubate, and wait.....it will happen.

--------------------

Offlinekukusz

Re: 60/40 casing is kinda slooooooooow???? [Re: Amanita_Dreamer]
    #1657323 - 06/23/03 11:13 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

So my friend finally lost patience and dug into his BRF coir/verm cading.  He found some wonderfully smelly cobweb, it had taken over the entire substrate layer but had not budged into the casing.  :frown:  So it was contam after all...

5 shrooms to lemun for calling that one...

and thanks everyone for their posts, next time will go better hopefully.

--------------------

Edited by kukusz (06/23/03 11:15 PM)

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Re: 60/40 casing is kinda slooooooooow???? [Re: kukusz]
    #1657337 - 06/23/03 11:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i don't get shrooms for moral support?!  :rolleyes:

anyhoo sorry to hear about the casing :frown: 

Offlinekukusz

Re: 60/40 casing is kinda slooooooooow???? [Re: houshroom]
    #1657345 - 06/23/03 11:28 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

oh man you def get shrooms for the moral support! lol, yeah the casing sucks but no biggee... my friend says he is waiting on 8 quarts of popcorn to finish colonizing.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag