Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook.
    #16474956 - 07/03/12 12:49 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

http://reason.com/archives/2012/06/27/how-facebook-helped-a-small-town-fight-b

How Facebook Helped a Small Town Fight Back Against a Crooked Cop
Friends and family of a woman murdered by a bad cop used social media to get answers and justice.

Mike Riggs | June 27, 2012

Fifty-four-year-old Patricia Cook was shot to death on February 9 just outside a church parking lot in Culpeper, Virginia. The first two rounds, fired at point-blank range, tore into Cook’s face and arm. Another round, fired as Cook was driving away from the shooter, entered her brain. A fourth round severed her spine and veered into her heart, killing her. A telephone pole brought her Jeep Wrangler to a halt.

That week, local media in Culpeper (pop. 16,000) reported these few facts: Patricia Cook had been parked in front of Epiphany Catholic School for a long time and refused to leave. The school called the police. A Culpeper police officer confronted Cook. Cook rolled up the officer’s arm in her window and punched the gas. The officer did what he had to do to stop the vehicle and save his own life. The Virginia State Police were handling the investigation.

Cook was a 54-year-old homemaker and Methodist Sunday school teacher who hadn’t received so much as a speeding ticket since the 1970s. She enjoyed quilting and cooking for her congregation at Culpeper United Methodist Church. The Culpeper PD’s story didn’t sit well with Cook’s friends and family, but for months, it was the only one they would hear.

“After about the third week of February there was nothing else in the newspaper, or any other bigger outlet, on the story,” says James Jennings, the Culpeper resident who helped bring Cook’s story to the attention of national media. “By the end of March, it had been completely forgotten.”

Jennings, 56, is a former elementary school teacher and retired network engineer who's lived in Culpeper since 1994. He didn’t know Cook personally, but says they shared some mutual friends. The week after the shooting, he read local media with a hawk’s eye, waiting for more information on the case. None came. (Anita Sherman, managing editor of the weekly Culpeper Times, rebuts this claim. "The Culpeper Times has carried stories relating to the Cook case on: 2/16, 2/23, 3/15, 3/22, 4/5, 5/10, 5/17, 5/24, 6/7, 6/14, and 6/28," Sherman wrote in an email.)

Local residents flooded the comment boards of the Star-Exponent*. Under the guise of anonymity, they defended "Pat" Cook, and called for an investigation into the Culpeper Police Department. “Two weeks after the shooting, [the publication] stopped that,” Jennings says of the message boards. “It deleted all the existing comments and all the existing discussion on that.” The paper relaunched with Facebook commenting, requiring people to identify themselves. At that point, the message boards for the small-town paper went silent. “I think people were afraid to speak up,” Jennings says, adding, “there are a couple of bullies in town.”

Once the commenting stopped, it was like Patricia Cook had never existed.

The sudden absence of concern about how and why Cook died filled Jennings with guilt. “I felt like, boy, you know, here’s somebody just needs to speak up and say something. And in town there was just a lot of pressure against people speaking up and saying anything. So finally I just decided that I had to do something about it. I’m a Christian,” Jennings added, “and I just kept thinking of verses, ‘I was hungry, you fed me. I was naked, you clothed me.’ And then I thought, ‘My life was taken from me, will you speak up for me?’”

Jennings created the Facebook page “Justice for Patricia Cook” on April 23. The About section reads, “Please consider joining our community, encouraging justice for the unarmed 54 year old woman who was shot by a Culpeper Police Officer, under questionable circumstances.” Beneath that description are the following questions: “What if it was your wife? What if it was your mother, sister, daughter? Would you be willing to sit quietly and say nothing? What if you pulled the trigger? Wouldn't you want to see justice?” Jennings also created a petition on Change.org, calling for a special prosecutor to bring charges against the officer who killed Cook.

The page Jennings created caught the attention of regional media. Sissy Hicks, a resident of Culpeper, shared the page with her brother Donnie Johnston, a reporter with the the Free Lance-Star in nearby Fredericksburg. "His article did bring the attention we needed to get it off the ground," Hicks told me. 

On April 28, the Star Exponent ran a story titled, “Citizen seeks answers in Pat Cook shooting.” On May 1, the local CBS affiliate WUSA 9 ran a story titled, “Citizen Wants 'Open Investigation' Into Officer-Involved Shooting Of Patricia Cook.” On May 14, the Charlottesville-based alternative weekly The Hook reported on Jennings' petition, which had caught the attention of Albemarle Sheriff Chip Harding, a leading authority on using DNA in criminal investigations. "Culpeper silence: Citizens, top cop slam shooting inquest," read The Hook's headline. After nearly three months of government silence, Jennings had turned Patricia Cook's death into Virginia's biggest story in just two-and-a-half weeks.

Before Jennings ever started his Facebook page, there was reason to doubt the official story promoted by Culpeper and Virginia State police. Kris Buchele, a carpenter who was working near Epiphany on Feb. 9, told WUSA9 the week of the shooting that "[Harmon-Wright] was not dragged and that he shot [Cook] before she drove away"; that "he didn't have his arm caught because the officer's left hand was on the door handle and right hand was holding a weapon"; that "he distinctly saw her roll up the window all the way before the officer shot out the glass and killed her." (Buchele was interviewed before Jennings' Facebook page was started, not after, as this article originally stated.)

In other words, the official report initially parroted by Culpeper media and the Virginia State Police had some pretty big holes.

After regional media began reporting the frustration highlighted by Jennings and others, the Fauqier County special prosecutor told media outlets in late April that a special grand jury had been convened, and that its investigation would be done by June. (The indictment came early: Harmon-Wright was charged with Cook’s murder on May 29; his mother, a former administrative assistant with the Culpeper PD, was also indicted for altering her son’s records to hide a history rife with police abuse and department reprimands.)

By June 21, the day the Culpeper Police Department concluded its own investigation and fired Harmon-Wright, eight regional media outlets, including The Washington Post, were filing daily reports about the Patricia Cook case.

The investigation into Harmon-Wright likely would have gone forward regardless of Jennings' creation of a Facebook page. It probably would have even concluded in his indictment without pressure from the media. This is, for instance, Sherman's take. "As far as Jennings Facebook page, he has caused quite a stir with it dividing many in the community and forcing them to take sides," she wrote in an email to Reason. "I wouldn’t give him credit for pushing the process forward. It has moved at its pace and can be perceived as moving slowly or expeditiously depending on your perspective."

But there's more to the Patricia Cook story than just one woman's senseless killing. Everyone in town, and out, now knows that Harmon-Wright was hired despite objections from within the Culpeper P.D., and that he had a history of harassing Culpeper residents that his superiors failed to address. As a result, a conversation is happening in Culpeper about government transparency and police accountability. It's fair to say the town would still be shrouded in silence if Jennings hadn't spoken up in support of the Cook family, including Gary Cook, Patricia's devastated husband.

“There is a fear of speaking up or speaking out against authority,” says Jennings, who isn’t done making noise. Now he wants the chief of police in Culpeper to hold a public post-mortem explaining why Harmon-Wright was hired despite objections from within the department.

“We should discuss, you know, what went wrong, and if anything related to procedures or hiring policies, things like that, contributed to the shooting,” Jennings told me. “Every professional position I’ve ever worked in, when you have [a mistake], you try to step in afterwards and figure out what went wrong. Is it human error or what? And so far they just flatly denied or refused to do anything.”

With every media outlet in Virginia watching Culpeper closely, Jennings just might get what he wants, and what Culpeper plainly needs.

*This article originally confused the Star-Exponent and the Culpeper Times.

Mike Riggs is an associate editor at Reason magazine. Follow him on Twitter.

I remember hearing about this back before there was any "break" in the story, when it was just some "crazy" woman that was parked "Suspiciously" in a church parking lot for a while (everyone told the story like she was going to blow something up or shoot someone).  She was approached by an officer and assaulted him with her vehicle so he had no choice but to shoot and kill her.

From day one it sounded like bullshit and now here we have it.  Everyone involved in the cover up should be in prison.

--------------------

Edited by Humility (07/03/12 12:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSoreSpore
Loc: Halfway there...
Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: Humility]
    #16474990 - 07/03/12 12:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

where is the justice?

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: SoreSpore]
    #16475063 - 07/03/12 01:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SoreSpore said:
where is the justice?

lol exactly.

People will read the headline and go "fuck yeaahhhhh" assuming everything ended up as it should.

--------------------

Offlinexbloodwhipx

Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #16475191 - 07/03/12 01:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

:awedisgust:
Fucking cops? More like gang members...

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: xbloodwhipx]
    #16475217 - 07/03/12 01:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The fact that the cop has been arrested for homicide is a literally one out of a million occurrence when you consider police forces worldwide in that total.

I did sensationalize the title a bit though I'll admit.  How this story is being told at the moment is LEAGUES away from what was being reported initially.  They made the woman out to be waiting to hurt someone coming out of the church or planning to damage the church in some way and then this "good officer" comes along and saves the day.

Things are completely different now.  That means something.

--------------------

OfflineSoreSpore
Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: Humility]
    #16475223 - 07/03/12 01:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

This whole story irks me. I can't even sit still thinking about it.

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: SoreSpore] * 1
    #16475272 - 07/03/12 01:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Cops are dangerous and disrespectful. I have had more negative run ins with cops than I have with gang members. Just sayn.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
    #16475273 - 07/03/12 01:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Humility said:
The fact that the cop has been arrested for homicide is a literally one out of a million occurrence when you consider police forces worldwide in that total.

I did sensationalize the title a bit though I'll admit.  How this story is being told at the moment is LEAGUES away from what was being reported initially.  They made the woman out to be waiting to hurt someone coming out of the church or planning to damage the church in some way and then this "good officer" comes along and saves the day.

Things are completely different now.  That means something.

Lets just hope the fucker gets convicted.

I'll be god damned if we actually set a precedent in this country that police can be arrested too.

--------------------

OfflineWallflower

Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: The Ecstatic] * 1
    #16475373 - 07/03/12 02:13 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think a big part of the problem is the conditioning that cops go through in their training. Not that it's an excuse, it's not, but I do think it has an impact.

Becoming and LEO isn't about the courage and honor of protecting society anymore, because we have so many laws that are simply about controlling, not protecting. This is heavily reflected in their training, with a strong us-vs-them emphasis. It's all about 'getting people' and not protecting people.

Then they place all these incentives out there for cops to be crooked. For example, just look up how much money across the U.S. is confiscated during searches and arrests every year, and then factor in personal property like vehicles and such that get confiscated, too. All of that money goes right to the police. Somehow I doubt as much abuse would take place if all money and property seized had to go to charity or something. I mean there will always be bad people, so leaving a candy trail for bad people will get results.

Then there are quotas. Instead of cops getting evaluated for performance, they have quotas. Quotas drive police to find crime even when there isn't any. That's why towards the end of every month we see cops chillin at speed traps instead of helping to look for missing children and such.

When being a police officer means having power and taking money, instead of meaning having to be brave and honorable and protect people, it is of course going to attract the nastiest people.

OfflineSoreSpore
Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: Wallflower]
    #16475402 - 07/03/12 02:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

what is your suggestion for illegally confiscated money and personal belongings?
Quote:

Wallflower said:
It's all about 'getting people' and not protecting people.

why do you think this?
Quote:

Wallflower said:
When being a police officer means having power and taking money, instead of meaning having to be brave and honorable and protect people, it is of course going to attract the nastiest people.

i think it is incredibly closed minded to believe all LEO are power hungry mongrels. some really do put on their badge with the intentions of protecting the general public. they don't write the laws, they just enforce them. complaining about police as a populous is dangerous territory because there are honorable men who have given their life in pursuit of bettering other individuals and families or risking their lives for childre.

i hate this attitude that the police are out to get the people when the reality is that if you obey the laws, you won't be harassed, you won't be treated unfairly and you won't be in the sights of the law; you will be coexisting with the fucked up system. i do drugs and enjoy them a lot. the last 4 times i have been pulled over, i was let go with nothing more than a verbal warning because i was respectful, courteous and treated their safety as a priority of my own and kept their nerves cool. if i was driving around high with drugs in the car, i wouldn't complain for having getting hauled off to jail. i would accept that as my own responsibility and work to improve in the future; not complain and generalize about how the police are a force against humanity. give me a break.

OfflineWallflower

Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: SoreSpore]
    #16475428 - 07/03/12 02:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You're misunderstanding my post I think.

I'm not saying that all police officers are scum.

I'm talking about the training and the way it is presented as far as what it's all about to be a police officer. It attracts a lot of power hungry crook sorts.

This doesn't mean that it never happens that good people become LEOs to protect people. I know one personally where I work. She's an ex-cop and got into law enforcement to specifically protect kids, although she answered any sort of call.

However, when cops are put through conditioning that emphasizes a predator mentality and being wary of the public, when they are given incentives for corruption, and when they see other police officers getting away with shit left and right, the job WILL attract a lot of bad people. And it does, as anyone can see from all of the police brutality and misc corruption stories and videos available (which only show what has been recorded/reported, not all the cases where nobody finds out).

I propose that each city picks a charity to support and sends confiscated money and money from auctioned property that way. What incentive (aside from bullying) does a cop have to pull some BS and confiscate money and property unjustly if they don't get to take it back to the department and keep it for themselves?

OfflineWallflower

Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: Wallflower]
    #16475459 - 07/03/12 02:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

And btw she left the force BECAUSE of all the corruption she saw firsthand. As a good person it disgusted her, and she decided she could do more for people by simply being a legal firearm carrier and doing her part as a civilian to speak out against corruption. She's a pretty cool lady and she doesn't deny one bit that most training for cops teaches them that 'the public hates you and is out to get you' and emphasizes a strong us-vs-them mentality. She was one of the good ones and I do regret that she left the force.

OfflineSoreSpore
    #16475469 - 07/03/12 02:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Wallflower said:
However, when cops are put through conditioning that emphasizes a predator mentality and being wary of the public, when they are given incentives for corruption,

police offers should be wary of the general public as there are even more evil individuals on the opposite side of the law, willing to shoot a guy in a badge for respect in his neighborhood. the predator mentality is probably a good mindset for them to hold against the law breakers. yes, i realize there are evil cops out there just as the one mentioned in the post above but blaming it on the training is just silly because there are a few bad eggs in every department that will make the headlines of a paper for doing things they shouldn't have done. and they will be reprimanded for it just as a man slanging crack on the corner will.

'when they are give incentives for corruption'
temptation for doing evil lies everywhere. i don't see where you are going with this.

overall, i understand what you are getting at but it seems petty. a new training for LEO's won't change anything. a repeal of certain unconstitutional legislation would be a better means for fixing the issues.

OfflineSoreSpore
    #16475486 - 07/03/12 02:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Wallflower said:
most training for cops teaches them that 'the public hates you and is out to get you' and emphasizes a strong us-vs-them mentality.

the derogatory wording you choose to use for speaking about police men is the exact reason that i believe this kind of mentality is necessary. it 'us vs. them' because i bet your ass that you are going to grab a gun when 8 black guys from a local trap house pull straps on a squad car against two officers.

i don't think that you understand the kind of dangers that are involved pulling over a criminal with multiple warrants on their record and this is only a small piece of their daily activity.

OfflineWallflower

#16475540 - 07/03/12 02:51 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It seems we are both technically correct, we are just looking at opposite sides of the same coin. Or perhaps we just have to agree to disagree.

I do understand the dangers out there. I also think a lot of cops were attracted to the power and special treatment in courts and thus why we have so many stories or caught-on-video scenarios of police corruption, abuse and brutality.

And I do believe that some internal changes as far as training and the courts could help the situation a lot concerning all of those 'bad apples.'

Consider that not too many moons ago in Indiana, it was decided that citizens did not have the right to physically stop police from entering/searching a home without a warrant. This meant that police were elevated above the law and that citizens could not treat someone breaking in and robbing them the same if that person happened to have a badge. This gave every bad cop out there incentive to abuse power, and made citizens even more wary and agitated towards police. The situation did not suddenly mean that all cops in Indiana were bad people. It simply made things much worse, and new cops went into the field with this additional leeway/incentive to be crooked.

You may find my views petty, but a lot of people are starting to really fucking hate cops because of all the abuse going on across the nation, and my preferred approach is to try to pinpoint specific areas where the situation can be improved.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: SoreSpore] * 1
    #16475547 - 07/03/12 02:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SoreSpore said:
i don't think that you understand the kind of dangers that are involved pulling over a criminal with multiple warrants on their record and this is only a small piece of their daily activity.

That doesn't mean they should not be held accountable for their actions. This includes murder of innocent people, which happens ALL THE TIME.

If anything, Cops should be held to a HIGHER standard than the rest of society, because they are the ones WITH the power and enforcing the law.
But all too often, they seem to be above it completely. When something like this happens (and they are caught red handed), the cop is usually given a 2 week paid suspension and a slap on the wrist, and then is back on the force.

It is far too easy for cops to get away with stuff like this. When they are caught, the penalty is usually minimal at best.
So yes, there is plenty of incentives for corruption.

This kind of shit happens all the fucking time unfortunately.
My best friend in high school (17 years old) was shot in the back (dead) as he walked away from an undercover.
He was unarmed, not breaking any laws, just walking home from school as an undercover approached him and told him to freeze.. he said fuck you and kept walking and the guy unloaded 6 shots in his back.
He thought he was some gang banger (because he was mexican). Even though the guy looked absolutely nothing like this suspect they were looking for.

The cop stayed on the force. A year later the family was so outraged they managed to get it re-investigated.
He got a 2 week suspension. A paid vacation, basically. For cold blooded fucking murder.

--------------------

OfflineSoreSpore
Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: Shroomism]
    #16475562 - 07/03/12 02:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
My best friend in high school (17 years old) was shot in the back (dead) as he walked away from an undercover.
He was unarmed, not breaking any laws, just walking home from school as an undercover approached him and told him to freeze.. he said fuck you and kept walking and the guy unloaded 6 shots in his back.
He thought he was some gang banger (because he was mexican). Even though the guy looked absolutely nothing like this suspect they were looking for.

The cop stayed on the force. A year later the family was so outraged they managed to get it re-investigated.
He got a 2 week suspension. A paid vacation, basically. For cold blooded fucking murder.

and this didn't make the news?
your friend was breaking no laws?
your friends family didn't sue the fuck out of the state?
this is a serious story and i doubt you would post it without being able to back the credibility of it. i am honestly inquiring atm.

OfflineWallflower

Re: Police coverup and murder of woman in small town sees justice in part due to Facebook. [Re: Shroomism]
    #16475568 - 07/03/12 02:59 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think getting rid of the quota system would be a good start. Police should be evaluated on performance. Do they answer the call? Do they handle themselves well? Do they go after crime when they see it?

A quota system puts police between a rock and a hard place, forcing them to try to find crime even if it's not there. This can easily put on the pressure to abuse power.

If anything, I am looking at the situation through the cops' eyes and trying to determine if and where the situation could be favorable for good cops and weed out more bad ones, thus restoring honor to the job and trust from the people.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #16475579 - 07/03/12 03:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It was 10+ years ago, it was in the news, and then brushed under the rug.
The way they painted it was like the kid was a thug and threatened the cops life so he had no choice.
He was breaking no laws. He had done absolutely nothing wrong. He was walking home from school.
He didn't even know the guy was a cop (he was in plainclothes). He said fuck you because he thought he was just some punk ass motherfucker trying to fuck with him. And he was right.

The family did sue the city and the policy force after nothing was being done.
They "looked into" it, and the cop got a 2 week paid suspension. Far as I know, he is still on the force in that city.

I'm not going to dig up a 10 year old article, I have to work. But I will later if you don't believe me.
But this kind of shit happens all the fucking time. That's just my anecdotal story.

--------------------

OfflineSoreSpore
    #16475590 - 07/03/12 03:04 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Wallflower said:
Quotas drive police to find crime even when there isn't any. That's why towards the end of every month we see cops chillin at speed traps

speeding isn't a crime?

i'm not trolling, i'm just asking. just because the laws seem 'unfair' doesn't mean we are allowed to break them.
yes i think it is more important to find a kidnapped child or break down the door of a kiddie porn studio but at the same time it is equally as important to get drunk drivers off the road, to get crack off the streets and to put gangbangers who lurk for evil and the chance to strike behind bars.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale