Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOuter Heaven
Master of Wetwork

Loc: Shadow Moses
Will dunking a cake under these curcumstances ruin it?
    #16381024 - 06/14/12 01:53 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I live in a very dry desert climate, so the growing process is quite tedious. You must constantly mist your terrarium. I was looking for methods of keeping my cake hydrated and I came across a suggestion to flame sterilize a drill bit, drill into the cake, place a straw into the hole, and place water in the straw. I did this, and I'm regretting it.

I was reading through the same thread and noticed that for reasons that made sense, RR stated that he preferred to dunk. I'm wondering if it's too late for me to dunk anymore. My thought is that if I do choose to dunk the cake will get waterlogged.

Edited by Outer Heaven (06/14/12 02:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSimpleFarmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: gumby land
Re: Will dunking a cake under these curcumstances ruin it? [Re: Outer Heaven]
    #16381051 - 06/14/12 01:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The straw tek is dumb imo just dunk it and if you think its getting dry just set it in a saucer of water

OfflineOuter Heaven
Master of Wetwork

Re: Will dunking a cake under these curcumstances ruin it? [Re: SimpleFarmer]
    #16381069 - 06/14/12 02:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SimpleFarmer said:
The straw tek is dumb imo just dunk it and if you think its getting dry just set it in a saucer of water

Yeah, I'm regretting it.

The way your sentence is structured, I cant tell if you are advising I dunk it now, or if you're stating an opinion. Can you clarify please?

Thank you for your input friend.

OfflineiCelium
Whose celium is it???
Male

Loc: Atlantic Ocean Flag
    #16381089 - 06/14/12 02:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

What type of environment are you using?

--------------------
"Never break more than one law at a time, if at all possible."

OfflineSimpleFarmer
Male User Gallery

#16381093 - 06/14/12 02:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You already did the straw tek?  Have you had any pins? Does your cake feel dry?

OfflineMugnath
Male

Loc: Oregon
Re: Will dunking a cake under these circumstances ruin it? [Re: Outer Heaven]
    #16381108 - 06/14/12 02:09 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Go ahead and dunk it for 24 hours, if your cakes start drying out midway through your flush, take a plate of water and let the cakes sit in them for about 6 hours.

OfflineOuter Heaven
Master of Wetwork

Re: Will dunking a cake under these circumstances ruin it? [Re: Mugnath]
    #16381120 - 06/14/12 02:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

iCelium said:
What type of environment are you using?

Shotgun Terrarium

Quote:

SimpleFarmer said:
You already did the straw tek?  Have you had any pins? Does your cake feel dry?

It had a few pins before I did the straw tek, i literally did it like 2 hours ago because the cake felt so dry.

Quote:

Mugnath said:
Go ahead and dunk it for 24 hours, if your cakes start drying out midway through your flush, take a plate of water and let the cakes sit in them for about 6 hours.

Even with the hole drilled in it?

OfflineSimpleFarmer
Male User Gallery

#16381139 - 06/14/12 02:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If you already have pins just put it in a saucer of water for 12hrs  and be sure to dunk a few days after you first flush

OfflineiCelium
Whose celium is it???
Male

Loc: Atlantic Ocean Flag
    #16381142 - 06/14/12 02:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

PMP's tend to maintain a very high humidity level without misting, even in dry areas. Something to consider.

--------------------
"Never break more than one law at a time, if at all possible."

InvisibleGimpCollector
To Drunk To Taste The Chicken

#16381152 - 06/14/12 02:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

No cakes should be sitting in standing pools of water. I live in Arizona, and it's cracker dry here, and I keep the perlite around the cakes damp as hell by misting.

I don't know where your tub is, but I have mine in the bathroom tub, and it stays really cool and moist through vigorous misting.

OfflineSimpleFarmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Will dunking a cake under these circumstances ruin it? [Re: GimpCollector]
    #16381171 - 06/14/12 02:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GimpCollector said:
No cakes should be sitting in standing pools of water.

You can listen to this guy or this guy
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

DoseMeHomie said:
Quote:

veda_sticks said:
you can sit your cakes in a saucer of water during the flush to help support it.

anyone tried this?

so you just out a tray with some water instead of a piece of aluminum foil down on the perlite?

No.

You set the cakes in a saucer of water overnight to hydrate them mid-flush, and then return them to the foil.  If you left them in a puddle of water all the time, the cakes would waterlog and performance would be poor.

Very nice flush!  I'm glad the video was a help to you.
RR

OfflineOuter Heaven
Master of Wetwork

Re: Will dunking a cake under these circumstances ruin it? [Re: GimpCollector]
    #16381187 - 06/14/12 02:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GimpCollector said:
No cakes should be sitting in standing pools of water. I live in Arizona, and it's cracker dry here, and I keep the perlite around the cakes damp as hell by misting.

I don't know where your tub is, but I have mine in the bathroom tub, and it stays really cool and moist through vigorous misting.

If I didn't have to share a bathroom with other people, I would do this. I live in the West Texas borderlands, so it's dry as cracker here too.

I'm pretty sure leaving it in a saucer is okay, it doesn't seem to differentiate much from a partial dunk.

OfflineMugnath
Male

Loc: Oregon
    #16381262 - 06/14/12 02:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've lately been putting my cakes onto a plate of water midflush, I've noticed a dramatic increase of mush size and number. If those bad boys are already fruiting just leave them in your sgfc and if they start feeling dry set them on a plate of water for a few hours.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #16381381 - 06/14/12 02:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Outer Heaven said:
I was reading through the same thread and noticed that for reasons that made sense, RR stated that he preferred to dunk. I'm wondering if it's too late for me to dunk anymore. My thought is that if I do choose to dunk the cake will get waterlogged.

If your cakes are dry then dunk for a few hours and then see how it goes.  You can tell by the weight if the moisture level is too much or too dry.

The saucer of water is another excellent method, but as with dunking you don't want to allow it to get waterlogged, which it will if left too long.

There's bad advice above because many new growers still don't understand the relationship between humidity, fresh air exchange, misting, and substrate moisture content, all of which need to be balanced to get good performance.

It's easy to get 100% humidity-simply put the cake in a large jar and close the lid.  You'll get saturation humidity, but no mushrooms.  In order for pins to form properly, a substrate MUST be losing moisture to evaporation.  This requires a constant fresh air supply.  Even at 99% humidity, if you're getting sufficient fresh air, the cake will lose moisture and pins will form.  Now, you must mist daily to replenish that moisture or the cake will dry out.  A cake that gets very dry will often mold after it gets re-hydrated because allowing it to dry totally out stunted the mycelium on the surface, allowing mold spores to germinate and grow.

The desired balance is proper humidity, proper air exchange, proper substrate moisture content; which means allowing it to lose some moisture, and then replacing it.  A shotgun terrarium will do all of the above but the misting and dunking/saucer tek, and for that you need a pair of eyeballs-it can't be automated.

Your cake was damaged by drilling for that silly straw thing.  That is another of the bogus teks that need to be deposited on the trash heap of the past and I've done my part every time it comes up.  Your cake won't fruit until the mycelium heals from the damage.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineOuter Heaven
Master of Wetwork

Re: Will dunking a cake under these curcumstances ruin it? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #16381552 - 06/14/12 03:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks RR! That clears up a lot for me and also provided me with future knowledge on why my cake won't be fruiting so quickly.

If you have the time, could you check my topic in the contamination forums? I trust the advice of the two who have already posted a response, but a final opinion by you would be greatly appreciated.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds