Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePick
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bay Area of California
Supplemental oxygen for mushrooms
    #16175031 - 05/03/12 01:33 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

As I understand it, plants primarily absorb, rather than exude CO2 (which is a necessary nutrient for them) and primarily exude, rather than absorb O (which is a waste product of theirs, that can quickly build up to toxic levels for them in an improperly ventilated grow chamber) and, that this is the converse of the needs of mushrooms. There are indoor cannabis producers who supplement the CO2 in their growing area, usually with the use of tanks, and while this is of course not necessary, it supposedly increases the quality and or quantity of their yield to such an extent as to justify the added expense. Information on how much CO2 to add is easily available to anyone wants it.

Is doing the equivalent with O for a mushroom grow worth considering, and has the way to do it already been worked out?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBeefy1
GONE

Loc: around
Re: Supplemental oxygen for mushrooms [Re: Pick]
    #16175103 - 05/03/12 02:02 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting.

:popcorn:

I'm not sure it'd be worth it though. If you've got an oxygen concentrator or a tank lying around,  give it a try.

probably simpler to just give them as much FAE as possible while keeping the humidity in the right range.  Get all the other factors perfect before you mess with supplemental gases,  just like with cannabis.

ALso thinking that you get a benefit for plants because co2 is such a small percentage of air to begin with.  oxygen is 21%, I doubt mushrooms would be able to use all that up.  extra might go unnoticed.

Edited by Beefy1 (05/03/12 03:40 AM)

InvisibleObsesshroom

Loc: Canada Flag
    #16175139 - 05/03/12 02:24 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I would love to see this done, I've thought about this before. I think it would definitely be a worthy experiment. Air quality is not what it was 100 yrs ago.. plus look at oxygen bars..

OfflinePick
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Supplemental oxygen for mushrooms [Re: Obsesshroom]
    #16175281 - 05/03/12 03:52 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Beefy1 said:
probably simpler to just give them as much FAE as possible while keeping the humidity in the right range.

It occurs to me that if you could keep a small amount of oxygen from a tank or concentrator coming in, and somehow absorb the carbon dioxide that the mushrooms produce (and I’m assuming that it can’t be all that much CO2) using some kind of, say, powder that you leave inside the tub this would greatly relieve the need to provide so much free air exchange. As a result, maintaining even 100% humidity should be trivial under such conditions, plus, there would be the added benefit of retarding the intake of airborne bacteria and spores, and it’s conceivable that that could decrease the frequency of contaminations occurring. But it’s also conceivable that a build-up of CO2, and a depletion of O is not the only way that the air can (shall I say) go stale.

--------------------

OfflineDazed Belief
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: somewhere your not
    #16175358 - 05/03/12 04:45 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hmm after reading you gave me an idea
im gonna take one or two of my bonsai plant and and throw them in my martha
wonder what would happen

--------------------
Enjoy the dazed state of life.
Everything i say or do on this page is all fake.
im just trying to live the life.

OfflinePick
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Supplemental oxygen for mushrooms [Re: Dazed Belief]
    #16175397 - 05/03/12 05:12 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dazed Belief said:
hmm after reading you gave me an idea
im gonna take one or two of my bonsai plant and and throw them in my martha
wonder what would happen

Yes plants and fungi have a symbiotic relationship in in various ways, and this is one of them. But what's the best ratio of green stuff to mushy stuff I don't know. From what I've read so far on the shroomery, CO2 is heavier than O, so arranging your trees on the bottom and your shrooms up top would make the most sense. However, if your martha is just completely open on the bottom than I don't imagine that this would make much difference, at least for your bonsai.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #16175521 - 05/03/12 06:32 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Does nobody use the search anymore? 

We've had dozens of people set up oxygen tanks, liquid O2, concentrators, and a shit-ton of plants in their grow rooms.  Other than the plants, none of them had the slightest effect whatever.  The plants of course caused the mushroom substrates to become contaminated.

Mushrooms/mushroom mycelium does not have use for an O2 level above 19%.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals