Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them)
    #16127397 - 04/23/12 06:14 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

We all remember :coaster: wildlife photography of the roach infestation in his apartment. This thread is for discussing infestations with mice, rats, bugs in and around the home, and what we did to get rid of them.

Roaches in the kitchen? Bugs in your weed? Friggin rats in the attic?

Lament your (former) woes if you have them and if possible give extermination advice that did and didnt work for you to help a Pubber out.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them) [Re: Asante]
    #16127427 - 04/23/12 06:32 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

My neighbor has birds, so I got mice. Got, past tense though. I now have the most deadly house in my wide surropundings thanks to a specific rodenticide:

Brodifacoum 0.005%

The stuff goes by the names of Talon or Havoc in English speaking countries, but theres other brands, the cheaper ones are for agricultural use.

Why this one? Because whether you have mice or rats, this stuff is literally up to ten times more lethal to critters than other kinds of rodenticide, and its a whopping 5x more poisonous than the baits the city uses is sewers and professional exterminators use in problem houses. Normal rodenticides work cumulatively: the mouse or rat will take a nibble, decides its edible, then has to return for several feedings to accumulate a lethal dose.

Not this substance in that concentration. Its so lethal to rats and mice that in fact that first test nibble will kill them. They don't have a chance to get bait shy, the moment they start eating, proven lethality is 100%, even in persicide resistant mice and rats. Should one survive the test nibble the stuff stays in their body 1-4 months, ready to add to their next dose.

The form you want this stuff in is small bait blocks or pellets (but not treated grain) for use indoors.

This poison and concentration is used by farmers to dispatch mice and rats by the wheelbarrow. One pound of this prepared product kills up to 25lbs of mice and 50lbs of rats. Worldwide its humanity's first line of defense against getting our grain crops eaten and shat on by mice and rats. As it is, 10% of all the worlds grain gets eaten by these cute pests.

As an added bonus its 100 times less toxic to cats than to rats, and the poisoning is very treatable by a vet.

If you don't own cats/dogs or got small kids, you can get brodifacoum 0.005% pellets which you can simply dump by the spoonful in every room of your house, especially near walls and doors, behind closets and couches. Check up on the bait points to see which ones get nibbled. With the ones that get nibbled you know two things: this is a mouse freeway and the critters who nibbled are dead mice walking. Mice usually follow the edge of the wall. You can recognize a very busy mice freeway by subtle brown/blackish smears on your paint or wallpaper. That's dirt rubbed off of their fur.

Near a mouse freeway look closely where they may enter your house. If theres a crevice 1/3 of an inch wide, mice can get in. You can plug those crevices with tin foil or better, plaster of paris made with half the required water to form a plaster putty. Before you do, of course do shove a spoon of bait in there. Don't forget the attic.

Brodifacoum 0.005% pellets or bait blocks are moisture resistant and out of direct sunlight will remain active for years. Just leave it lying there, if a new mouse scout happens to find a way in he'll find it, take a nibble and the invasion stops there. Don't be concerned mice will reject the bait once its old, musea have had problems with mice gnawing away at mummies.

I recommend not to use this bait outdoors, not just becauuse that's a lost battle but it exposes birds of prey etc to ingest mice and rasts which often have multiple lethal doses in them. Contrary to outside, your indoor environment can be controlled. Outdoors, make your environment unwelcoming to mice, so no food/garbage lying around and preferably no bird feeding (which for the most part boils down to feeding your local rodent population anyway)

-make your home's surroundings uninviting to mice/rats
-prevent them from entering your home in the first place
-turn your home into a highly lethal environment by having several small portions of this bait in each room, against the wall, behind objects out of sight.

In the city you usually are offered only weaksauce baits, hit up a webshop that sells stuff for farmers. A small 1 lb tub is enough to safeguard a house attic to basement, a standard 2lb tub is often cheaper per ounce and will be useful for years to come.

My birdkeeping neighbor when the topic came on mice confessed "yes we had em up until a a couple of months ago but they went away by themselves." Since that was about the time I laid out my baits I have a fairly good idea where they might have gone :devil:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them) [Re: Asante]
    #16127431 - 04/23/12 06:37 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Bugs on plants often bite the dust with the following organic spray:

2 pints of water
1/2-1 oz tobacco or ground red pepper
1 teaspoon soap or dishwashing detergent

Put the ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil, let cool to make a tea, filter this tea through a cloth then apply with a plant mister or similar spray equipment.

Dont forget the underside of leaves!

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#16127435 - 04/23/12 06:41 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Got roaches or ants? Get borax or boric acid, 1 heaping teaspoon in a pint of water with 10 lumps of sugar in it, then use this liquid to soak cotton balls, toilet paper, kitchen roll or small pieces of corrugated cardboard in it.

Let this dry and spread out small bits of it in places where roaches like to eat.

They'll eat it, get borate poisoning and die. There is no resistance against borate as it works by dehydration.

Whatever you do to exterminate them, add this to your measures. Works against ants too.

Boric acid and borax are dirt cheap, used as cleaning products you can expect to pay $2 for half a pound of either which is way more than enough for your purposes.

Its not too toxic for us humans, but it is to roaches.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinethe bizzle
the joke that no one spoke

Loc: :seriousbusiness:
    #16127447 - 04/23/12 06:50 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
We all remember :coaster: wildlife photography

:ilold:

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them) [Re: the bizzle]
    #16127496 - 04/23/12 07:21 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Slugs in your garden?

Bury glasses or cans with the rim to soil level and something to cover over them leaving a 2 inch crevice. Half fill the glass with beer.

The slugs will be irresistably attracted to the beer (sounds familiar right?) drink, get drunk, fall in and drown in beer, arguably not the worst way to go.

This works so well that in an infested garden you often have to clean out the filled glasses every morning.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinefloatingwater
இலைலைலைஇ

#16127521 - 04/23/12 07:42 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I recently tried the boric acid/sugar/water mixture and it works pretty good. It takes a couple days for it to really kick in and wipe out the ants, but I knew it was working when a bunch of them came out from hiding and then lined themselves up side by side (not head to toe like you normally see ant lines) and wiggled back and forth for a little while. Then they went in to hiding again and haven't come back.

Now I just sweep up my crumbs better to make sure they're not invited inside in the first place.

--------------------
================

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #16127635 - 04/23/12 08:38 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Got roaches or ants? Get borax or boric acid, 1 heaping teaspoon in a pint of water with 10 lumps of sugar in it, then use this liquid to soak cotton balls, toilet paper, kitchen roll or small pieces of corrugated cardboard in it.

make a paste using a vegetable shortening like crisco, onion and boric acid,
smear it into areas where they hide, the reason for the paste is you can put
it anywhere, the shortening keeps it from drying out quickly and the onion is
an attractant/bait

about a year ago my ex wife brought some of my kids things over including
some electronic games, needless to say because her house was infested the
cockroaches came with them, about 4 months ago is when we noticed our house
had been coastered, I've been fighting them pretty effectively since then
with that mix

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
Re: The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #16127644 - 04/23/12 08:43 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What about bedbugs? Bastards got gassed twice and their population still bounced back.

InvisibleSpiritualSnorkel
Re: The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them) [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #16127957 - 04/23/12 10:26 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Though bedbugs aren't necessarily an indication of filthy living conditions, you have to start cleaning everything meticulously once you discover you have them. An infestation can be localized to one bedroom, so do not go and sleep in another room to evade them because they will follow.

First step is that you have to de-clutter. Throw away everything you can part with, and don't leave shit lying around on the floor. More shit lying around means more places for them to hide, and they are great at hiding. Vacuum daily if possible, including the floors, every crack and crevice, baseboards, every seam and fold in the mattress, the boxspring of your bed (including the inside and underside), every nook in the surrounding furniture. You have to be absolutely thorough with this. Can't stress it enough. Wash your clothes and bedsheets as often as possible in hot water and store them elsewhere afterwards.

They are resistant to commercial pesticides so don't bother bug bombing your place because it will only piss them off and cause them to inhabit other areas of the house. They usually come out to feed around 3am, and find you by your heat and your CO2. Learn their life cycle so you can monitor how bad your infestation has become and if it's getting better. Bedbugs that have fed on you are visibly filled with your blood and will pop like a zit when you squeeze them, leaving a smear of blood. Check your bedsheets and pillowcases and all that for smears of blood as well, this will indicate whether or not they've been crawling around in your bed.

If it never gets any better cleaning like an insane person and thinking like a bedbug, look into buying a product called Diatomaceous Earth (Silica Dioxide). You scatter this around the perimeter of a room and when the bedbugs come in contact with it, it basically dessicates them.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them) [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #16127975 - 04/23/12 10:31 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have bedbug advice to you that I heard, works.

Bedbugs hide in your room, then get in your bed and suck your blood, and this goes on. I heard that you can break this cycle by taking your bed away from the wall a bit and putting twosided tape (or ducktape sticky side up) on your bed's legs. The bug climbs up, gets stuck on the tape and dies, repeat several generations of no blood and you're rid of bedbugs without using chemicals in a room you spend 8 hours a day in.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleChairman Meow
Concern Pork
 User Gallery

#16127989 - 04/23/12 10:36 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Anyone have any advice to get rid of or prevent centipedes from getting in? I live in a basement apartment so I figured it's almost impossible to keep them out.

--------------------

#16127998 - 04/23/12 10:39 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This depends on where they're hiding out during the day, and presuming he'll never carry them into bed with him. It's very likely they're inside the wooden frame of his boxspring or in the seams of the mattress. Bedbugs can also live over half a year without a bloodmeal. The bedbugs are also smarter than to get stuck to some tape. Suppose it couldn't hurt to do anyway.

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
Re: The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them) [Re: SpiritualSnorkel]
    #16128002 - 04/23/12 10:41 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Wouldnt a thick sheet with high thread count sealed around the bottom of the mattress keep them from feeding?

#16128012 - 04/23/12 10:44 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, you could trap them inside the boxspring or mattress using a plastic cover sealed tight. They actually sell those covers explicitly for that purpose. A thick sheet definitely wouldn't work no matter how high the thread count. Those little bastards can get through some obscenely tiny areas.

They are going to live quite a long time trapped in there too.

But the trick to getting rid of them is putting into practice every idea at once, and it's the culmination of them which will reduce their population and eventually kill them off.

InvisibleChairman Meow
Concern Pork
 User Gallery

#16128018 - 04/23/12 10:45 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

For bedbugs, everything SpiritualSnorkel said. I lived in an apartment with bed bugs once but no matter how much gassing, they kept coming back (I'm pretty sure the whole building had them which is why they kept appearing.) So I threatened to take legal action and got them to break my lease and I moved. That was the best option I think, because after constant cleaning, everything in storage/plastic bags/bins, and nightly feedings, it starts getting to you. We had to throw out our mattresses and most of our furniture because it was so bad. But if you can't move, then everything SpiritualSnorkel said, also the EPA has a list of what you can do on their website.

--------------------

InvisibleChairman Meow
Concern Pork
 User Gallery

Re: The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them) [Re: SpiritualSnorkel]
    #16128025 - 04/23/12 10:48 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SpiritualSnorkel said:
Yeah, you could trap them inside the boxspring or mattress using a plastic cover sealed tight. They actually sell those covers explicitly for that purpose. A thick sheet definitely wouldn't work no matter how high the thread count. Those little bastards can get through some obscenely tiny areas.

When I had them, they used to hide in the seams at the corner of the mattress, and around the screws/corners of the bed frame/headboard. They are freaking pro's at hiding. Definitely get the plastic sheets over the higher thread count.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them) [Re: Chairman Meow]
    #16128097 - 04/23/12 11:09 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

sadsappysucker said:
Anyone have any advice to get rid of or prevent centipedes from getting in? I live in a basement apartment so I figured it's almost impossible to keep them out.

diatomatious earth and a dehumidifier. centipedes like dampness so it will
help, the diatomatious earth will cut them enough that they'll dry out, if
your climate is arid it's not a bad idea to start with the landscaping around
the building, just sprinkle it in and let it do it's thing. it's nearly
impossible to seal up every entry point on something that you're renting or
any preexisting structure

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#16128549 - 04/23/12 01:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I don't have a problem with bugs or critters inside my house at all.

On the outside is a different story. I have wood trim on the outside of my house and the fucking carpenter bees are getting to be a huge problem. They fly all over the outside of the house when it's warm, and it also attracts woodpeckers, which peck holes in my siding to get at the bees.

I've tried dust, pressure washing under the trim to fuck up the nests and various chemical treatments. They all seem to work for a little while and then those fuckers are back.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: The critter and bug infested pestilent homes of Pubbers (& extermination advice to get rid of them) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #16128561 - 04/23/12 01:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I tried the boric acid route when I had a roach problem due to my filthy neighbor, didn't really work. Did some research and read about a chemical called fipronil. Bought 2 big ass syringes full of a brown paste that had fipronil in it. I used a good bit in my apartment, then had other people in the building do the same. Within 2 weeks I'd say the roach population was reduced by 95% and eventually there were no roaches at all.

Fipronil is amazing because it only works on bugs. It's pretty much nontoxic to humans and other mammals. In fact, it's the exact same stuff they put in those flea and tick drops you put on your dogs and cats.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it got rid of the house centipede problem too. House centipedes would eat the roaches that had fipronil in them and they would die too. Same with the spiders. Pretty much all bugs were died after a while.

Edited by Gumby (04/23/12 01:31 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures