Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAnObserver
Laboratorian

Loc: Midwest
Farmer's Markets?
    #16109678 - 04/19/12 12:05 AM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

I'm interested in setting up a stall at the local farmer's markets. Not really in it for the money (pennies I imagine) just out to meet good folks. I looked over some of the market rules and from what I've read there doesn't appear to be many restrictions for the sale of produce - category "farmer." There seems to be some prerequisites for people serving food (i.e. food handler's card, etc.) or "added value" products (jams and other processed foods). I've got a very large tomato garden going and I thought I might also sell some gourmet and medicinal mushrooms too. I'm hoping theres no restrictions on the sale of these. Of course the man will have to get his share (sales tax) so will I have to setup some kind of business? I've never been self-employed so I don't know what the laws are here in the states regarding starting a small business. I'm wanting to start out small so I thought the farmer's market would be the place. Anyone got some pearls of wisdom?

--------------------
Shall we convene upon the truth?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: Farmer's Markets? [Re: AnObserver]
    #16110484 - 04/19/12 07:18 AM (12 years, 4 hours ago)

if you're going to do a farmer's market, fill the niches that are available.  it is generally frowned upon, and sometimes disallowed, to undercut competitor's prices, so you will have to make yourself stand out in some way, especially since many people have regular people they trade with.

tomatoes are very common at farmer's markets, so have a variety to sell that no one else has.

mushrooms could be good, but research what is already available, quantity sold AND how much demand exists after others sell all their stock, etc...

follow some of the basics of a CSA by printing out a small pamphlet describing your "operation", information about the produce you provide, giving recipes for the products you sell, fun facts, etc...

honestly, it's pretty easy to set up a booth at a market, but it CAN be hard to break even, let alone make a profit, unless you have a good-sized operation or fill the existing niches

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineAnObserver
Laboratorian

Re: Farmer's Markets? [Re: demiu5]
    #16118749 - 04/21/12 12:43 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the info. It seems like filling a particular niche, as you said, would be the key. Like any venture, social skills are a primary. Cooking my own produce could help me to stand out against others. Thank you very much for your advice.

--------------------

OfflineMoody Vaden
Strangler

#16119325 - 04/21/12 07:55 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

When I was heavy into farmers markets, I would grow items that were odd or eye catching, like blue potatoes, zebra striped tomatoes, watermelon radishes, to name a few.  They would always draw people to my stand to start asking questions, and most of the time a sale would follow.

I did the best on my bagged lettuce mix. People were always amazed at the fact that my lettuce mix lasted way longer than the store bought mixes. That's because I picked it yesterday, and it wasn't sitting on a truck for a week getting here.

The growing is the hard part, and the manning the stand is the fun part, I always thought.

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

Loc: Luxury
    #16119706 - 04/21/12 10:50 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I did farmers markets for a short time. It was good. I paid a small one time fee to the county. That allowed me to vend at any market in the county. Another fee, practically nothing, owed at each market.
Best place to start is talk to the market master of the market you want to vend at. They will have most of the information on what items are regulated. For instance, in my area certain pickled items and salsas were not allowed. It depended on how they were processed.

I did pretty well, but that was mostly from apple pies and muffins my girlfriend at the time baked.
Also, people in my area ate a shocking amount of green beans. Never could have enough. Every vendor brought trash bags full and sold them by the paper grocery bag.
I can only eat a few at a time. :shrug:

Really the best part of the whole thing is talking with all of the old timers.
Once I get re-situated, I would do it again. for sure.

--------------------
Whoop whoop.
Pull over that ass. Too fat.

Edited by Big L (04/21/12 11:10 AM)

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Farmer's Markets? [Re: Big L]
    #16120065 - 04/21/12 12:22 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Big L said:
I did farmers markets for a short time. It was good. I paid a small one time fee to the county. That allowed me to vend at any market in the county. Another fee, practically nothing, owed at each market.
Best place to start is talk to the market master of the market you want to vend at. They will have most of the information on what items are regulated. For instance, in my area certain pickled items and salsas were not allowed. It depended on how they were processed.

I did pretty well, but that was mostly from apple pies and muffins my girlfriend at the time baked.
Also, people in my area ate a shocking amount of green beans. Never could have enough. Every vendor brought trash bags full and sold them by the paper grocery bag.
I can only eat a few at a time. :shrug:

Really the best part of the whole thing is talking with all of the old timers.
Once I get re-situated, I would do it again. for sure.

Green beans FTW.

Yea locally here they get bigger and bigger every year.  And you see them popping up more places.  It's a good thing and it's interesting the USDA is sending out their little ag survey asking about whether you grow or sell.  Under penalty of law.  Then want you to sign saying you haven't and give them your phone #.  Farmer's markets sure have their attention better believe it.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Farmer's Markets? [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #16121346 - 04/21/12 06:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
it's interesting the USDA is sending out their little ag survey asking about whether you grow or sell.  Under penalty of law.  Then want you to sign saying you haven't and give them your phone #.  Farmer's markets sure have their attention better believe it.

the survey is voluntary for you, refuse it if you wish. The Secretary of
Agriculture is required by law to conduct the survey and the wording is
done in such a manner as to frighten you into believing you have to
participate as you would in the national census

http://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Popular_Topics/National_Agricultural_Classification_Survey/Is_this_Survey_Required_by_Law/index.php
Quote:

Is this survey really required by law?

NASS is required by Public Law 105-113, “The Census of Agriculture Act of 1997,” to take a Census of Agriculture for the calendar year 2012. This law authorizes the Secretary of Agriculture to conduct an agriculture census every 5 years. The NACS is part of the census process.

By this same law, your report is confidential. It may be seen only by sworn employees and may be used only for statistical purposes. The information you provide is protected from legal process and cannot be used for purposes of taxation, investigation, or regulation.

OfflineAnObserver
Laboratorian

Re: Farmer's Markets? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #16124692 - 04/22/12 03:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks. Some good info.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck