Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Tricholomataceae (?) Find in FL, help with id plz
    #1607267 - 06/04/03 06:18 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yesterday i found 2 mushrooms growing in the park next to my home. any id help would be appreciated, especially the genera or at least the family, which keyed out to be Tricholomatacae in  Arora's book.

more no-pic id fun! lets get to it!!  :grin:

CAP: about 6-8 cm wide fullly matured. white, getting light tan-ochre in the middle but not regularly (as in a circle etc like in cubensis), non-striate, non-viscid, mildly convex to plane to slightly uplifted, smooth except for various holes from parasites, flesh white

GILLS: andexed to free in full maturity, moderately thick and not noticeably waxy, getting bladelike in old age, off-white buff colored

STALK: about 6 cm from cap to ground, with a about a 6 CM TUBER in ground. tuber very large and continues stalk width into the ground tapering slightly towards the end and ending bluntly. also, it is not noticeably hollow when cut upon, but is softer to the touch that the stem itself.
stalk is slightly texterued but more or less smooth. light tan-brown at top and turning white in bottom 1 cm or where touching ground. about 1.2-1.7 cm diameter.

NO VEIL and NO VOLVA

SPORES: white

HABITAT: sandy soil covering much of specimen. growing near live oak, most likey associated. in sparse woods (park)

if i had time i would really get into iding this mushroom, but that i dont have. gotta work.

any help would be appreciated and if you need any more info ask quickly because it is drying. thanks. adios.

Edited by MagmaManiac (06/04/03 06:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Tricholomataceae (?) Find in FL, help with id plz [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1607300 - 06/04/03 07:14 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Tricholomataceae (?) Find in FL, help with id plz [Re: zeronio]
    #1607401 - 06/04/03 08:52 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

nope....the gills are much too crowded and too white, the pileus is much too big. and those have incurved margins, which mine dont at all.

A VERY PROMINENT FEATURE: is the underground TUBER that is about the same length as the stem, so about 6 cm long underground....it is not a Squamosa species of course.

i was hoping for a genus maybe that would be great....i tried to key it out with Mush. Demyst., but it didnt work.

it is a taller mushroom and the fully mature specimen looked a lot like a lactarius when i uncovered the leaves from on top of it. it has a slightly uplifted pileus....the younger specimen had a much smaller cap but a stem that was nearly as long....

the giils are not crowded but moderately close and they have those little gills in between them, i dont remember what theyre called or how to call the gills like that.
:
coommee on in.  :smile:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1607603 - 06/04/03 10:45 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Melanoleuca alboflavida maybe,

Keep shroomin,
GG

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1607617 - 06/04/03 10:49 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

A rooting base is unusual for a white spored mushroom.

I can think offhand of only three genera noted for having rooted bases:

Amanita (especially the Lepidellas)
Squamanita
Xerula (=Oudemansiella)

Since you say the underground portion was not enlarged (tuberous), that suggests Xerula. They tend to be relatively tall, slender mushrooms reminiscent of Collybias.

There are some Tricholomas which tend to have somewhat rooting stems. Tricholoma magnivelare, T. caligatum, and T. zelleri all come to mind, but those all fruit in late summer to fall.

At first I'm leaning toward one of the white to off-white Tricholomas (as, clearly, zeronio was, too).

Is there any odor or taste to this specimen?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Tricholomataceae (?) Find in FL, help with id plz [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1607766 - 06/04/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

the odor i would classify as FRESH and EARTHY, although the latter may be because all the soil on the mushroom that everywhere penetrating the shroom, almost part of it there is so much.

the tuber is not enlarged but it is JUST AS THICK as the stem, which is about 1.0-1.6 cm thick

it is almost like the mushroom developed underground and came out, except then it would be way too tall if it grew all overground.

i may be borrowing a camera this afternoon, be expecting some picks for both this and the amanita. gotta work again. later.

i very much doubt it is an amanita and it is not a Squamosa for sure

Xerula has roots but they are much smaller than the stem. xerulas also have thin stems and are quite tall...this muchroom is different. i wish i had more time, later and thanks. i just hope it doesnt dry out by afternoon.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1607786 - 06/04/03 11:49 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i will check that out gg when i have time. thanks again.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1609195 - 06/04/03 08:05 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

here are the pictures i took on a quite old and bad 1 mgpixel Kodak DC215 camera with 2X zoom  :ooo:. either that or the photographer was quite bad :crazy:

here are the horendous things.

well that is it they are drying out now because i picked them a long time.

the tuber of the large specimens stem has shrunk tremendously compared to the rest of the stem, which also shrank a bit due too drying. i have been coating them with water to preserve them....

sorry i cannot show the gills of the other mushroom...not enough space i can upload today. they are much neater and closer together, a lot less blade-like.

also i washed the mushroom because they had a lot of dirt, so some of the tuber is dirtless on the pictures.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1610056 - 06/05/03 12:57 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Some Collybias have such tubers.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1610854 - 06/05/03 08:33 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Seeing the photo, that looks a lot like a Xerua to me. Based on your previous description, it keys out as Xerula furfuracea. It doesn't quite match the measurements in my book fo rthat species, though. The possibilities are that it's a closely related species that's not in my book, or that it's an unusual specimen. I'd opt for unusual specimen.

zeronio, the members of Xerula were in Collybia until relatively recently when they were split out on the basis of the rooting stem. My reference also says they split the species Collybia radicata into four species at that time.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1611170 - 06/05/03 11:36 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

my mushroom is so much more robust than than X. furfuracea though. as i said the one with the big cap looked like a short, wide lactarius before digging it up. i will work with this now and poke around Xerula and Collybia. thanks a lot guys.

speaking of lactarius i just found two that im about to id. one of them is a L. hygrophoroides, which fruit by the hundreds! this is so exciting, some good meals will be made soon.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1611915 - 06/05/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Good luck.

I hope the Lactarius are good.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1612849 - 06/05/03 07:52 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i am getting frustrated once again. im pretty sure this mushroom is a collybia or related genus, but it may as well be a tricholoma. T. saponaceum is EXTREMELY varialbe and sometimes has a rooting base similar to my find.

the mushrooms are almost completely dry and i am no longer going to attempt to identify them unless anyone has any ideas.

im going to leave it at Tricholomataceae species. lol

what a great approximation, it nearly makes me sick to not be able to do anything. but this family appears very hard to me. i would have to rely on memory to id this mushroom and that isnt happening because i have been trying to with Aurora's book but it is very hard.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies