Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Loc: outer space
Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef
    #16009584 - 03/28/12 04:00 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

This is a recipe that is normally best when you use carpaccio (very thinly sliced raw beef, usually filet mignon), but since I don't have a trusted raw meat source, this time I used prosciutto. However, if you have access to good, raw filet mignon, I strongly encourage you to have sliced paper-thin at a deli and use that instead! If you don't, use prosciutto. It is raw, thinly sliced Italian ham that has been cured so you will not get food-borne bacteria from consuming it.

Ingredients you will need:
-Carpaccio (raw, thinly sliced filet mignon) OR Prosciutto
-Parmesan cheese (shaved to really thin slices, around the same thickness as the prosciutto or carpaccio)
-Baby arugula leaves
-Basil leaves
-Capers (olives make a good substitute if you don't know where to buy capers... just make sure they're un-seeded)
-Olive oil
-Pepper

First, wash the baby arugula and basil, and make a bed of them on a plate. Then lay some Parmesan cheese in a symmetrical, even pattern on the plate. Lay the carpaccio or prosciutto flat on top of the cheese. Sprinkle some capers on top evenly (or use olives as a substitute). Drizzle some olive oil and sprinkler some pepper on top before serving. Be sure to be very generous with the olive oil portion (about 1 teaspoon to tablespoon for every slice of meat), especially if you are using prosciutto, because it evens out the natural bitterness of the ham and makes it go down smoother.

It is such a simple recipe and requires almost no "real" cooking, but my god, it is absolutely delectable. People pay upwards of $20 just to have this small appetizer at a good restaurant.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Re: Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef [Re: Crystal G]
    #16009645 - 03/28/12 04:19 PM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Very nice plating.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #16017393 - 03/30/12 02:07 AM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Thank u. Does anybody else like raw meats besides me? Artare? Yukke? Carpaccio?

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef [Re: Crystal G]
    #16017465 - 03/30/12 02:47 AM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Have you tried adding peppers to the mix?
I know that prosciutto has a very high sodium content and pepperchinis would really do wonder to this dish. If I was making this, I would make a feta vinegarate and marinate the prosciutto in that.
I don't mean to be condescending, but I am a chef, and I just think that would do wonders to this dish.
The capers seem like over kill as well, seeing as the prosciutto is extremely salty by itself.
Other than that, it seems like something we might serve as an appetizer  at my bistro (which is 5 stars). Nice job with the dish.

Also I love raw meats. I like sushi quite a bit. and I am down to try any sashimi fishes. We have a sashimi Ahi tuna at work that I incrust with wasabi powder and plate with a siracha aoli, soy sauce, cucumber-ginger slaw and a sesame seed & green onion wasabi patty. its wonderful

--------------------

Edited by ganjfather (03/30/12 03:05 AM)

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef [Re: ganjfather]
    #16019241 - 03/30/12 01:24 PM (12 years, 18 hours ago)

Quote:

ganjfather said:
Have you tried adding peppers to the mix?
I know that prosciutto has a very high sodium content and pepperchinis would really do wonder to this dish. If I was making this, I would make a feta vinegarate and marinate the prosciutto in that.
I don't mean to be condescending, but I am a chef, and I just think that would do wonders to this dish.
The capers seem like over kill as well, seeing as the prosciutto is extremely salty by itself.
Other than that, it seems like something we might serve as an appetizer  at my bistro (which is 5 stars). Nice job with the dish.

Also I love raw meats. I like sushi quite a bit. and I am down to try any sashimi fishes. We have a sashimi Ahi tuna at work that I incrust with wasabi powder and plate with a siracha aoli, soy sauce, cucumber-ginger slaw and a sesame seed & green onion wasabi patty. its wonderful

Thanks for that input. Yea, the capers were served with carpaccio originally, but I couldn't find a legit source for raw meat so I did with prosciutto.

How do u make a feta vinaigrette? Is it different from olive oil vinaigrette?

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

#16019681 - 03/30/12 03:09 PM (12 years, 16 hours ago)

Yup you can make it just like any other other vinaigrette
I use finely crumbled feta
olive oil
red wine vinaigrette
chopped parsley
cracked pepper

You can throw it into a blender or a food processor and mix it until its like a dressing, add water if you want it more liquid than creamy.
With this dish, I would even add some pepperchini juice to the vinaigrette to give it a little kick

--------------------

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef [Re: ganjfather]
    #16019806 - 03/30/12 03:40 PM (12 years, 16 hours ago)

How long should I marinade the prosciutto for, like 2 hours or something? I'm gonna try it either tonight or tomorrow. I don't have feta but I have all the other ingredients so ill try it with that. And I have tried this recipe with crumbled feta cheese on top and its realllllyyyyyy good too.

I wonder if this recipe is supposed to have intense flavors tho. I mean, I think there's a reason they used raw filet mignon and parmesan cheese, instead of something like asiago.

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

#16020060 - 03/30/12 04:30 PM (12 years, 15 hours ago)

Its probably just because it is a fancy dish. I have some plates that are pretty bland in my opinion, but the ingredients are expensive and when you are dealing with high class dining, people pay more for expensive product and the way its placed on the plate, as opposed to taste.
You can marinade it for however long you feel. I would try to marinade a couple pieces for a few hours first, for you to try, just in case you don't like the taste, you won't waste all your prosciutto.
And don't use too much red wine vinaigrette, it is pretty strong tasting and you don't want too much of a vinegar taste, or it will ruin the plate.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #16052076 - 04/06/12 10:04 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ganjfather said:
Its probably just because it is a fancy dish. I have some plates that are pretty bland in my opinion, but the ingredients are expensive and when you are dealing with high class dining, people pay more for expensive product and the way its placed on the plate, as opposed to taste.

My thoughts on this - though surely, everyone should cook and/or eat whatever the hell they want in whatever way they want - raw and untreated meats that are fresh enough to consume, such as those that may be used for carpaccio or sashimi, are often rather subtle in flavor.  In my view, it is because of this subtlety that I usually don't want to see a lot of additional spicing or complicated flavor added to these specific ingredients, because they are generally rather expensive and so if I'm going to add a lot of spice or added flavor components, I risk drowning the subtlety of the expensive ingredient and therefore may as well have used a less expensive cut that would play equally well amidst strong flavors.  The luxury of these expensive raw meats is - and again, this is just my own personal opinion - that they can be enjoyed so simply without adornment, and appreciated for their own unique albeit often mild flavor.  Granted, there are those special peeps who know how to enhance these delicate natural flavors without overtaking them, and to them I offer salute!

Quote:

Crystal G said:
People pay upwards of $20 just to have this small appetizer at a good restaurant.

No doubt.  I've paid almost $20 for two small slices of dry cured Spanish ham, Jamón Ibérico, and do not regret it one bit.  This stuff is of legends, and is one of few foods that has me rabidly salivating simply at the thought of it. :tongue2:

From this thread:
Quote:

geokills said:
Well m'lady and I recently had the pleasure to happen upon a nifty restaurant supply store called Surfas in Culver City, California.  Totally by accident, as we were on our way to the beach for some exercise but got stuck in traffic and she was craving coffee, so we ditched the 10 West and headed southwest on Washington Blvd since I knew Culver City has a lot of upscale eateries and shops where we'd be likely to find some good coffee.  Low and behold we happen upon Surfas and do a little digging.

Turns out they have a charcuterie counter where I immediately scoped out a whole leg of cured ham.  Upon closer inspection, it was the mother meat that I explained in the original post of this thread, Jamón Ibérico!  Upon first learning of the price (a whopping $135.25/lb!), I walked away and continued to browse the rest of the store... but ultimately, I gave into my desire to taste this buttery pleasure and bought two slices, totaling over $16!

Let me tell you, as someone who hardly thinks twice about paying $10+ for a decent brew at an entertainment event or a bottle of wine for home... the $16 I laid out for these two slices of ham was well worth it!  Granted, I couldn't afford to do this all the time, but damn - my mouth is watering just thinking about what a wonderful experience it was to eat this ham on top of a buttered crusty lightly toasted baguette smeared with a freshly picked garden vine ripened heirloom tomato!

Just get a load of its glistening fat.  Nearly translucent, this ham literally has a tendency to melt in your mouth! :drooling:

Paired especially well with these Zebra Green tomatoes sliced some 3 - 4mm thick:

:thumbup: :awesome: :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef [Re: geokills]
    #16053856 - 04/06/12 06:15 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Wowwww that dry cured ham looks AMAZING!!! Is that anything at all similar to panchetta or porschetta?

Jesus, $136 per pound!!!!!! That's even more expensive than giant clam or sea urchin.

WOW. I am adding this to my checklist of things to try one day.

I'm not too far from Culver City. I may just have to track this down one of these days.

By the way, since you obviously live in SoCal, have you ever been to Michel Richard Patisserie? Quite expensive, but THE BEST gourmet French cakes ever in existence. Their lemon cake is to die for.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

#16056244 - 04/07/12 09:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Have not tried the Maison Richard Restaurant & French Bakery, though to be honest, I'm not really one for sweets most of the time.  Nevertheless, I have a couple of friends who are nutty about the sweet stuff, and I definitely dig me a solid croissant or baguette so I will have to hop on over and check it out, thanks for the rec'!

As for the Jamon Iberico de Bellota, there is a summary that explains a bit of the history of these delicious Spanish meats at the beginning of the thread that I grabbed the last quote from.  I surely would not consider it anything like panchetta or porchetta, as those are both of Italian descent and are almost always cooked prior to consumption.  The Jamon Iberico de Bellota is an amped up version of Jamon Serrano, which is most similar to Italy's prosciutto, hence why I decided to post about it in this thread.  Excellent proscuitto is right up there with excellent jamon serrano... but the jamon Iberico de Bellota is definitely top tier so far as I'm concerned; still similar in flavor, but with a greater depth of nuttiness, butteryness and insanely great texture.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef [Re: geokills]
    #16060933 - 04/08/12 01:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

geokills: I never, ever like sweets either. As a matter of fact, I usually never eat brownies, chocolate, cake, cookies, or any other sweet pastries because I usually don't like them. Michele Richards is the ONLY place where I can actually eat any sweet pastry they serve. It is AMAZING. The quality is so, so different from other bakers. The taste is subtle and impeccable and their presentation style is meticulous.

I must look harder to try Jamon Iberico... looking at the price though I'm not so sure many stores around here carry it. Maybe Pavilions does, they usually sell pretty upscale, good quality stuff.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #16066973 - 04/09/12 07:46 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Let me set this straight:

Carpaccio is a dish invented at Harry's bar in Venice and named after a famous artist who loved the color red and is made with thinly pounded slices of beef dressed with an anchovy mayo, garnished with capers, etc. Carpaccio is in reference to the entire dish not just the fact that the meat is sliced thin

Prosciutto is cured Italian ham.

I can tell from experience after several trips to Italy including one just last October that Carpaccio is NEVER made with prosciutto.

Prosciutto is rarely if ever dressed with anything before eating and is usually eaten with other things to highlight the flavor.
what you made is not carpaccio, it's a very nice antipasto but please don't call it Carpaccio

and yes Iberico Bellota is definitely worth it, every time I get some at Wegman's the person behind the counter always says: "you mean the $95 a pound ham?"

Fermin is okay, but if really want to taste the very best try to procure cinco jotas Iberico Bellota, the hightest grade and the longest age. and in reference to one of the previous posts, Iberico Bellota is NOT an amped up version of Serrano, it's made with a completely different breed of pig, the feed of those pigs are different, the salting and drying process is different and the standard aging time is the longest for any ham. You cannot compare Iberico Bellota to Serrano or to any other ham for that matter, it is its own unique product

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef [Re: soochi]
    #16067073 - 04/09/12 08:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hehe, picky picky. :crazy2:

I don't doubt for a minute that you'd be pretty hard pressed to find prosciutto ever being served as a carpaccio.  But on your other point, I've eaten many a ham slice all over Spain, and I've found the Iberico touted along the same section of the menus as the Serrano.  It's definitely in the same sport so far as I'm concerned, albeit different leagues.  They are often presented in identical fashion, both come from pig, and both are dry cured.  It's certainly very unique in its excellence, by far the best ham I've ever eaten, the pigs boast a genetic trait of black hooves and are fed on an [almost] exclusive acorn diet; but I'd be remiss not to mention that you're kind of reminding me of the soup nazi right here sooch, god love ya! :lol:

Five acorns for the win, yes'r.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef [Re: soochi]
    #16068223 - 04/10/12 12:06 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

soochi said:
Let me set this straight:

Carpaccio is a dish invented at Harry's bar in Venice and named after a famous artist who loved the color red and is made with thinly pounded slices of beef dressed with an anchovy mayo, garnished with capers, etc. Carpaccio is in reference to the entire dish not just the fact that the meat is sliced thin

Prosciutto is cured Italian ham.

I can tell from experience after several trips to Italy including one just last October that Carpaccio is NEVER made with prosciutto.

Prosciutto is rarely if ever dressed with anything before eating and is usually eaten with other things to highlight the flavor.
what you made is not carpaccio, it's a very nice antipasto but please don't call it Carpaccio

If you'll notice, I never called prosciutto carpaccio, or visa versa. I said it was either a prosciutto OR carpaccio recipe in the title. And then I said that this is NORMALLY a carpaccio recipe, but if you do not have a good source for raw beef (which I did not at the time I took the pictures), then try the same recipe with prosciutto instead, and it is just as good.

Also I have seen prosciutto served in many ways--in sandwiches, on pizza, wrapped around cubed melons, so I'm not sure what you mean about it not being dressed with anything.

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

#16068341 - 04/10/12 12:43 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I love me some prosciutto pizza.
OP is correct, he/she is not saying they are the same, only that the dish is substituted with one or the other. My personal experience is with prosciutto, however, my restaurant has an order of carpaccio on the way, because I must try it out, for the sake of my customers.

--------------------

Invisiblegreys
OTD Sergeant at Arms
Male User Gallery

Loc: nunya
    #16068822 - 04/10/12 05:29 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Why dont you just make the carpaccio from filet?:macdre:

Who orders carpaccio to be delivered???

Spice detected.....

--------------------
:greys:

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: Authentic Prosciutto or Carpaccio Recipe I Learned in Cooking Class from 4-Star Italian Chef [Re: greys]
    #16070399 - 04/10/12 02:02 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

greysRDbest said:
Why dont you just make the carpaccio from filet?:macdre:

Who orders carpaccio to be delivered???

Spice detected.....

You can slice it really thin from filet mignon yourself, that is assuming you have a good source for raw filet.

But personally, I would rather have it sliced at the deli, because it's difficult slicing it yourself.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#16081426 - 04/12/12 05:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

in terms of sandwiches and what not, yes that is consumed in that fashion in Italy all the time, but just as sliced ham to be eaten by itself or with fruit it is rarely dressed with anything.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#16081433 - 04/12/12 05:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I just want people to have the correct information. the food and cultural knowledge of the average American isn't very good.

and being presented in a similar fashion is completely different from the acutal making and aging of the hams. Even the best serranos cannot be compared to Cinco Jotas Iberico Bellota.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom