Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSko
Democrat

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Possible Popcorn Contam
    #1598270 - 06/01/03 01:21 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hi, my mycelium on my popcorn is doing pretty well, I'd say they are about 25% colonized, and one is like 40%.

My problem is that some of the popcorn is turning red... not all, but at least 5 kernals in each jar I would say is turning red, is this normal, will the mycelium win the battle? or is my culture doomed?

--------------------
Sko

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

Re: Possible Popcorn Contam [Re: Sko]
    #1598273 - 06/01/03 01:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

thats pretty normal when the corn is over cooked like carmel color

--------------------

OfflineSko
Democrat

Re: Possible Popcorn Contam [Re: FallenShroom]
    #1598286 - 06/01/03 01:29 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ok, cause it's been like about... 1-1/2 weeks and it wasn't red til yesterday...?

that's normal? :confused:

--------------------
Sko

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1598308 - 06/01/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Only time will tell but it doesn't sound any good...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1598573 - 06/01/03 03:24 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Both these nasties turn a BRIGHT RED (from the FAQ)

Lipstick Mold – Sporendonema purpurescens (Geotrichum candidium)

This fungus colonizes compost or casing. As spores mature, the color of the mold changes from white to pink, to cherry red, and finally to dull orange. It is slow growing. Spores spread in air, during watering, and on pickers. The lipstick mold utilizes certain fats in the compost. It is an uncommon problem. Control is centered around sanitation.

Pink Mold; Red Bread Mold – Neurospora

Commonly to occasionally seen on agar and grain. Neurospora is fast growing, sometimes taking only 24 four hours to totally colonize a media filled petri dish. It is ubiquitous in nature, occurring on dung, in soils and on decaying plant matter. Since this fungus grows through cotton stoppers or filter discs, a single contaminated jar, though sealed, can spread spores to adjacent spawn jars within the laboratory. This condition is more likely if the filter discs or cotton plugs are the least bit damp; or if the external humidity is high. Furthermore, Neurospora spores germinate more readily at elevated temperatures. The pink mold seen in mushroom culture is most frequently Neurospora sitophila, a pernicious contaminant that is difficult to eliminate. All infected cultures should be removed as soon as possible from the laboratory and destroyed. A thorough cleaning of the laboratory is absolutely necessary. If contamination persists, remove all spawn and start anew.

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1598584 - 06/01/03 03:27 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

My problem is that some of the popcorn is turning red... is my culture doomed?

No.

I have seen this described in several threads, like this one, and it is normal.

You should be fine.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisiblerobinhood2
merry man w/outthe tights!
Re: Possible Popcorn Contam [Re: dog]
    #1598634 - 06/01/03 03:38 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah listen to dog.....popcorn is supposed to turn red when fully colonized. It's all over the threads on popcorn.

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

OfflineSko
Democrat

Re: Possible Popcorn Contam [Re: robinhood2]
    #1601759 - 06/02/03 02:36 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I'll be alright, thanks mucho!  :smile:

--------------------
Sko

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck