Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineScience_man
Scientist
 User Gallery
First time grow (PF Tec w/ Mazatapec)
    #15976420 - 03/21/12 01:09 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

So this is my first attempt at a grow.  I followed the PF Tec vids except I used unbleached organic wheat flour instead of brown rice flower.  Also I added some whole grain brown rice/black barley/radish seed to the medium.  Additionally, I used 1 pint jars (couldnt find half pint).  Its day 5 sense inoculation and all jars have varying degrees of colonization (all under 15%).  My medium variation should be no problem (food is food, though some food is better than others).  I am a little worried about the size of the jars though.  Is this too much medium for the mycelium?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleK1ngSp4de
CHUT UP!!!
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: First time grow (PF Tec w/ Mazatapec) [Re: Science_man]
    #15976444 - 03/21/12 01:15 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

My buddy has this same problem atm, It took the 1 pint too long to colonize completely, so he got some invitro pinning, My theory is that if you are using an isolate LC you should be fine, but if its MS it takes too long and some parts are more colonized than others making them pin in the jars.

--------------------
                                    PC Repair and Troubleshooting Forum

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.
                                                - Thomas Jefferson

Si peccasse negamus fallimur et nulla est in nobis veritas.

OfflineScience_man
Scientist
 User Gallery
Re: First time grow (PF Tec w/ Mazatapec) [Re: K1ngSp4de]
    #15979418 - 03/22/12 01:43 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

I used a liquid culture.  Though the medium had only a few black specs (clearly spores) and it was not homogeneous. I suspect some jars got more spores than others.  Of all the materials needed good jars are hard to find!

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
    #15979460 - 03/22/12 01:59 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

If your in the states check out an Ace hardware. If you have an Ace nearby and even if they don't carry them in that store they will ship from a store they do carry them free of charge. Thats where I get all my 1/2 pint widemouths $10 a dozen :thumbup:

Did you PC them jars or steam sterilize?

OfflineScience_man
Scientist
 User Gallery
Re: First time grow (PF Tec w/ Mazatapec) [Re: The Influence]
    #15984167 - 03/23/12 12:05 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Dude thanks!  Ill do that.  I steam sterilized.  Seemed to do the trick cause I have no mold yet!  Do you leave the holes in the lid on uncovered for gas exchange or is that not needed?

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

#15984307 - 03/23/12 01:22 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Science_man said:
Dude thanks!  Ill do that.  I steam sterilized.  Seemed to do the trick cause I have no mold yet!  Do you leave the holes in the lid on uncovered for gas exchange or is that not needed?

I put micropore tape over my holes before steaming, and incoulate right through the tape. I leave it until after they colonize just cause I don't want to be jerking the jar around trying to get the tape off and shift my dry verm layer. As long as your tape is breathable you can leave it on and it will not effect GE.

OfflineScience_man
Scientist
 User Gallery
    #15997174 - 03/26/12 01:26 AM (12 years, 24 days ago)

I would like to make a correction.  I did NOT use a liquid culture (got that mixed up with spore syringe).  I started from spore.  So far my jars are doing well.  They are sitting about a foot and a half away from a rotating mini heater (set to 84 degrees F).  Its now day 10 and I have more growth/colonization.  Most of the mycelium is spotty but they are definitely expanding.  One jar is doing very well and has a large mat of whole mycelium.  At this rate I should get 100% colonization in two weeks (I hope).  No signs of contamination (looks like the aseptic techniques I learned in micro are paying off) so far!

I now have the proper jars now and I am going to start some golden teacher and PES Hawaiian when the syringes come in.  Question: Can I take 1mL from each syringe and make a liquid culture from that?  I dont see why I cannot but I am also a noob.

Thanks for the feedback guys!  This is a great online community and I look forward to contributing.

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

#15997205 - 03/26/12 01:43 AM (12 years, 24 days ago)

1ml of spore solution should be plenty to start a single lc. If you have a couple of ml/cc's make a couple seperate lc's :awesomenod:

OfflineScience_man
Scientist
 User Gallery
    #15997293 - 03/26/12 02:22 AM (12 years, 24 days ago)

I will have a total of 4 syringes (2 for each variant) that contain 10mL each.  I was planning on just taking 1mL from 2 syringes (1 of each variant) and starting my LCs from that.  If I am not mistaken I can leave some mycelium in the LC jars and it will "recolonize" correct (given that there is liquid medium for them to consume)?  I should have made a liquid culture with my mazatapec spores but ill just harvest some mycelium from the cakes or make spore prints.

OfflineScience_man
Scientist
 User Gallery
    #16037676 - 04/03/12 10:03 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

It appears that I have too much moisture.  I have condensation inside the jars.  Some of the areas have this clear and colorless wet looking gel.  I am assuming this is wet spot bacterial growth.  The jars have a sour milk like smell to them which is probably due to metabolic waste produced from bacteria.  I think one of the jars is going to make it though (it has continued growth of the mycelium).  Is there any way I can harvest the mycelium from the other jars and transfer them to new jars (half pints this time)?

In retro spec I would say my addition of whole grain to the substrate was not a good idea for the volume of stubstrate in the jars (more volume=longer colonization time=higher probability of contamination).

Any comments?

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Re: First time grow (PF Tec w/ Mazatapec) [Re: Science_man] * 1
    #16048035 - 04/05/12 01:42 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

No man there really is no saving contaminated jars. If they smell like sour milk toss them. I would use just BRF w/verm for your substrate mixture. It works great without any additives and is pretty much fool-proof. Good-luck and don't give up.

OfflineScience_man
Scientist
 User Gallery
    #16052673 - 04/06/12 12:57 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

So I harvested some mycelium from 2 of the contaminated jars.  I then let them soak in a H202 solution (less than 3%) and then I let them soak in regular water.  I took mycelium chunks and placed them in new sterile jars.  So far they are growing with no signs of contamination.  I figure this is a long shot but I got nothing to loose by trying right?  I did this in the most sterile conditions I could muster (which is not that impressive).

OfflineScience_man
Scientist
 User Gallery
    #16355978 - 06/09/12 12:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I would like to mention that I just picked a 21g fatty this morning...from my previously contaminated Mazatapec mycelium (bleach treatment worked while peroxide treatment hardly worked).  I was able to get a total of 5 successful jars to fully colonize and produce fruit.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck