Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefivepointer
Thoughts on Gnostics
    #15947535 - 03/14/12 06:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Gnostics are good at pointing out what they perceive as errors of doctrine of who call themselves Christians.  Why should they care?  They hold to a set of doctrine, for example, Jesus most likely never existed, never did miracles if He did. The scriptures are not inerrant or written by the Holy Spirit.  They are “Gnostic Fundamentalists”.  They are, as they would say, “bigoted” against those who disagree with them.  They try to present themselves as less closed mined, but in reality they are just as closed minded as anyone else.  Why do they get upset when a true Christian rips apart their doctrine?  The reality is the Gnostics read a few authors on this subject, then buy in to it lock stock and barrel.  Of coarse the doctrine will blow in the wind and change depending on who writes the next popular book on the subject.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on Gnostics [Re: fivepointer]
    #15948490 - 03/14/12 09:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The reality is the Gnostics read a few authors on this subject, then buy in to it lock stock and barrel.

That must be your experience outside of this forum. Some of the people that post on Gnosticism here mention a bunch a books.

But kudos on your posting style, it reminds me of someone, you didn't quite capture the whining undertones though.

Offlinesaintphotios
Stranger
Male

Re: Thoughts on Gnostics [Re: falcon]
    #15948641 - 03/14/12 09:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That doesn't really capture what gnosticism is all about IME. There's neo-gnosticism, which varies depending on who you talk to and is by no means a monolithic belief system. But actual gnosticism doesn't deny Christ, but rather has very different view of him than historical Christianity.

The best way to describe it would be an esoteric flavor of Hellenized Christianity/Judaism. You can't really understand gnosticism without understanding early Christianity and the friction between Christians(and their rise from cult-status to mainstream), Greek paganism, Platonism, and Jewish mysticism. I'd say they're more elitist than close-minded. They dismiss Christians and other sects as "unenlightened" but it's still  pretty convoluted and there was lots of branching out, so it's hard to pinpoint exactly what you're referring to. So... what exactly are you referring to?

also, imho... true gnosticism is pretty much dead. Modern neo-gnosticism doesn't refer to a particular branch of theology, but rather a million different minor off-shoots of mysticism that has in some way been influenced by gnosticism and retains a few traces of the original terminology. But if we're talking modern times... gnosticism doesn't really have much meaning. The only thing they really share in common is a penchant for esoterica and a mysticism fetish. By that token, Jewish Kabbalah is definitely gnostic. But then so are many Islamic sects. And I don't have to tell you that these groups have far more differences than they have similarities.

Edited by saintphotios (03/14/12 09:44 PM)

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on Gnostics [Re: saintphotios]
    #15948668 - 03/14/12 09:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think it was a fluff post aimed at OC who posts shit like this all the time :wink:. It's not trolling on this forum, cause OC gets away with it.

Offlinemikeisapro
Pro

Re: Thoughts on Gnostics [Re: falcon]
    #15950510 - 03/15/12 11:20 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

From the little I know of gnostic beliefs, I would be more likely to believe in an evil god that created this reality as a prison and a lucifer who is trying to liberate us through his enlightenment than believe the christian version we have now. God is definitely not all loving, all wise, all knowing, or all powerful.

--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

Offlinesaintphotios
Stranger
Male

Re: Thoughts on Gnostics [Re: mikeisapro]
    #15950829 - 03/15/12 12:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mikeisapro said:
From the little I know of gnostic beliefs, I would be more likely to believe in an evil god that created this reality as a prison and a lucifer who is trying to liberate us through his enlightenment than believe the christian version we have now. God is definitely not all loving, all wise, all knowing, or all powerful.

Confirmation Bias works both ways. If you don't believe in either, there's really no point of reference for saying one is more likely to be the case.

Offlinemikeisapro
Pro

Re: Thoughts on Gnostics [Re: saintphotios]
    #15950856 - 03/15/12 01:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You're right. If god was all loving and all good, I can't account for suffering. I can account for it if he's evil, but then I can't account for pleasure.

--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Thoughts on Gnostics [Re: fivepointer]
    #15950932 - 03/15/12 01:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fivepointer said:
Gnostics are good at pointing out what they perceive as errors of doctrine of who call themselves Christians.  Why should they care?  They hold to a set of doctrine, for example, Jesus most likely never existed, never did miracles if He did. The scriptures are not inerrant or written by the Holy Spirit.  They are “Gnostic Fundamentalists”.  They are, as they would say, “bigoted” against those who disagree with them.  They try to present themselves as less closed mined, but in reality they are just as closed minded as anyone else.  Why do they get upset when a true Christian rips apart their doctrine?  The reality is the Gnostics read a few authors on this subject, then buy in to it lock stock and barrel.  Of coarse the doctrine will blow in the wind and change depending on who writes the next popular book on the subject.

God I've missed you. :doggystyle:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder