Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMary_Jane
Stranger
Mushrooms found on my lawn
    #1593213 - 05/30/03 01:01 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

As I was mowing my lawn I noticed a few patches of these shrooms growing. And I remember throwing out one of my contamed cakes in the same area about 7 months ago. Anyway, they were growing out of the ground in some dirt. I'm taking a print right now, but figured I should find out whether they were good or not. Also I live in New Jersey.

ps: sorry if this is the wrong forum for this but i didnt know where to put it.

heres the pics:

Edited by Mary_Jane (05/30/03 01:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms found on my lawn [Re: Mary_Jane]
    #1593363 - 05/30/03 01:40 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

This is probably the best forum.

Would you please write us up a description of the things we can't tell from your photos?

For example:

How big are they?
Are any parts of them slimy or sticky?
What do they smell like?
Cut one in half vertically. Scrape (bruise) the inside with your knife edge. Does it change color? If so, to what? (Bruising can take up to an hour)
Looking at the one you cut in half, are the gills attached to the stem or free from it?
Was the area they were growing in mulched? Were there trees nearby (what kind)?

Let us know.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #1593368 - 05/30/03 01:41 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

its not good. white gills are a bad sign if you want to get an id read the sticky thread and give us a sporeprint color. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineMary_Jane
Stranger
Re: Mushrooms found on my lawn [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1593413 - 05/30/03 01:57 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the quick response. The stems are 1-2.5 inches long and caps .5-1.5 inches. None of them are slimey or sticky at all. They smell exactly the same as mushrooms found in the supermarket. I scraped the inside of the stem like you said and there is no bruising so far. The gills are free from the stem. There is no mulch in the area where i found them but there is a tree there. I have no idea what type of tree it is.

Thanks for the help

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1593506 - 05/30/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Those are good bits of information.

If you don't know what kind of tree it is, could you at least tell us whether it's a conifer (pine) or not?

Also, I didn't mention it, but you said you were making a spore print, so please let us know what color that is when you know.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1593541 - 05/30/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

One more thing might be useful.

Please take a small piece from a cap (smaller than any of your fingernails) and put it in your mouth and chew it for several seconds them spit it out. Let us know what it tastes like. Of course, if the taste is immediately obvious then you can spit it out immediately.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMary_Jane
Stranger
Re: Mushrooms found on my lawn [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1595092 - 05/30/03 09:43 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The tree is definately not a conifer and im still waiting on the spore print. Also the taste of them is non existant.

Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
    #1595707 - 05/31/03 04:36 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm..I'd be real careful about the tasting suggestion.  Not that Toxic Man is wrong in the least, I guess I just want to reemphasize  a TINY PIECE!  If someone gets a nice sized gallerina or destroying angel, and eats a chunk of the cap, it wouldn't be good.  Probably nothing near death, but possibly moderate gastric distress and/or minor to moderate liver/kidney damage.  I'm sure if someone took a BB sized portion of a destroying angel, and spits (not swallows), nothing to worry about.  Even swallowed, I think the body could handle it no problems, but still not good.  If the mushroom is rather fresh, the smell can tell you a lot, if not more so than taste.  Yet a better indicator is sound.  If it talks to you, its goooood....  :cool:

Those kinda look like Poison Pie mushrooms (poisonous:gastric distress).  But there's tons of white/off white mushrooms so thats just a stab in the dark.  The pics show a lot, but provide more info with 'em and it'll help much more.

By the way, don't take my word over most people who post here (especially most moderators).  I'm no expert.

Bluemoon

i said swallow.  thats so cool.  :tongue: 

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms found on my lawn [Re: bluemoon]
    #1595721 - 05/31/03 05:30 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You're correct and raise a good point - tasting mushrooms should only be done when you're reasonably sure the mushroom isn't dangerously poisonous. In this case the mushrooms are not Amanita, Lepiota, Galerina, or Conocybe, the genera with amatoxins (I wouldn't have suggested it if I had thought they might be). I'm not bringing this up to criticise your comment (it's a good one) - I'm bringing it up so that other readers of the thread won't go around indiscriminately tasting mushrooms.

You should taste only mushrooms which you are resonably sure are not dangerously poisonous.

There has been a case of a poisoning of a person who was tasting Russulas. Apparently he was tasting lots of them (like maybe all of them he found). He just had nausea and vomiting and that sort of thing. Still, that should be something of a warning for those who might consider tasting everything in sight - it's a bad idea.

The main reason I haven't gone ahead with a guess is that I want to hear about the spore print color. One of my suspicions is that these are Tricholomas, in which case the taste will be an important feature for identification. The Tricholomas which look similar to those will taste mild, hot (peppery), or bitter.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms found on my lawn [Re: bluemoon]
    #1595920 - 05/31/03 09:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Lesson to learn: Always spit, Never swallow :wink: 

Something to add to the tasting dilemma:
I personally ALWAYS taste any unknown mushroom, and, of course, spit it out afterward, but ONLY in areas, where there is no know cases of the canine tapeworm, Echinococcus granulosus .
In Europe the main host are foxes.

You should be aware that if you eat a piece of anything with eggs of this parasite on it you might eventually die.

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/echinococcus.html
http://www.veterinaribrescia.it/conv/2002/03/genchi%2003.PDF

Edited by Anno (05/31/03 09:56 AM)

OfflineMary_Jane
Stranger
Re: Mushrooms found on my lawn [Re: Anno]
    #1595943 - 05/31/03 10:07 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ok the spore print didn't work out. i would like to mention that when i pulled the mushrooms from the ground there was white fuzz covering the bottom of the stems. Thanks for all your help

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1596040 - 05/31/03 10:53 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

OK. I'm going to guess wildly that they would have a white spore print.

Going with that I'll guess that they're Lyophyllums. But that's a fairly wild guess.

They're interesting mushrooms, but mushrooms that look like those are pretty tough to identify, at least for me.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Mushrooms found on my lawn [Re: Anno]
    #1596259 - 05/31/03 12:51 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I know a girl who swallows!

mj

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms found on my lawn [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1596374 - 05/31/03 01:45 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

She better be careful then :wink: 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies