Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejikkyu
Noob

Coolmist greenhouse questions
    #15904882 - 03/05/12 05:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I apologist before-hand but I type just like I talk. I have been attempting this mycology stuff to keep a cheap hobby up from pure boredom of living in the city...I prefer lots of land and zero humans with my own VW shop. ^_^ someday. lol
The questions

Would an ultra-sonic humidifier work if you had it on for 30 minutes and off for 2 hours? It keeps the humidity between 94% and 99% but I wonder if it allows for the proper FAE? And what can you put in the water to kill all the nasties from city water? What do you use to clean a greenhouse set-up?(chemical-wise to ensure no nasties taking root) Would my ice-chest work for a pasteurization of straw and poo/hanging it in the bathroom to drip-dry? I don't have a lot of monies to throw into this and this seems like the cheapest/easiest way to keep from boredom & learn something new. lol Next winter's hobby could be learning how to smoke your own meats. Imagine some Apple-wood bacon that you, yourself smoked. Mmmm. But anyway I've had crappy success at being a good mycologist...I would like to see how well these methods would work, so I can say, "Bahaha I have another skill for the future." ("The Mother Nature Apocalypse Thing-a-ma-bob") =/ *gulp* just a feeling, just a feeling...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethedoc8
TooMuch
 User Gallery

Re: Coolmist greenhouse questions [Re: jikkyu]
    #15906172 - 03/05/12 09:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I run my ultrasonic  20 minutes  out of the hour and fan 3 to 4 times a day.

Offlinejikkyu
Noob

Re: Coolmist greenhouse questions [Re: thedoc8]
    #15914442 - 03/07/12 03:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Fanning...that I should look up.

OfflineNamRedruM0016
***THE NOOB***
Male

#15914495 - 03/07/12 03:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

boil the water. and maybe run some boiled water/alcohol mix through the humidifier first to clean it internally 

as for cleaning the area... its all preference; i myself use alcohol, peroxide, lysol, disinfectants, concentrated detergents whatever works.. i dont really care myself but some will say theres pros and cons to everything.. for instance.. lysol is a known mutagen, i still use it tho.. rather have mutants than contams IMO

- yea jus fan 3-4 times daily in combination with the humidifier.. shld be fine

--------------------
"Lack of curiosity bored the Cat to death"

MY TRADE LIST:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13902554

Offlinejikkyu
Noob

Re: Coolmist greenhouse questions [Re: NamRedruM0016]
    #15920046 - 03/08/12 02:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Bahaha, mutants, eh? Hmm that's just the thing though, I keep having contams break out(only when attempting to spawn into straw/poo) and during fruiting(one good fruit and then BAM contams) and it's driving me nuts.

Invisiblethe General Mills
genuine millsner taste
Male

Loc: desert southwest
    #15920247 - 03/08/12 03:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

try co co coir and poo, then move to straw. and yeah mutants.

dont know what caused this one. its lizard king.

OfflineNamRedruM0016
***THE NOOB***
Male

Re: Coolmist greenhouse questions [Re: the General Mills]
    #15920754 - 03/08/12 05:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

that mutes got sum style haha.. i like it

--------------------

MY TRADE LIST:

OfflineNamRedruM0016
***THE NOOB***
Male

#15920799 - 03/08/12 05:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jikkyu said:
Bahaha, mutants, eh? Hmm that's just the thing though, I keep having contams break out(only when attempting to spawn into straw/poo) and during fruiting(one good fruit and then BAM contams) and it's driving me nuts.

Yea.. i recommend a thorough cleaning of your area.. and pay attention to you air.. from what you say, it sounds like thats most likely the source of contam or at-least a catalyst.

HEPA filter would be nice... ahhhh one day

--------------------

MY TRADE LIST:

Offlinejikkyu
Noob

#15921511 - 03/08/12 07:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Whoa, epic-ness. :smile: Hmm Would a hepa filtered computer fan siliconed into a martha stewart set-up work? Coco Coir and poo?(at what ratio)
I'll look it up or attempt to. lol

Invisiblethe General Mills
genuine millsner taste
Male

Loc: desert southwest
    #15924429 - 03/09/12 12:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i used a germ guardian table top thing you can find at depot and lowes before i got a flow hood. its nice, like twenty five-thirty bucks. HEPA filtering with an antimicrobial UV-C light on it.

and with cubes you can do a lot of different subs and mixes. lots of people use lots of different subs. find one you like

Edited by the General Mills (03/10/12 05:47 PM)

Offlinejikkyu
Noob

Re: Coolmist greenhouse questions [Re: the General Mills]
    #15934611 - 03/11/12 07:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That seems interesting indeed...but...how would I incorporate that into a martha? =/ Yea, I'm looking at different subs but I guess when it comes to pasteurization, I lack the skills.

Offlinemrmojoshroomin
All-summa BeenNoddin
Male User Gallery

Loc: OH
    #15934683 - 03/11/12 07:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

*One hour is too long to run the humidifier. More than a few minutes at a time will cause drips to form. I run mine less than five minutes on followed by five to ten minutes off. This maintains a high humidity without excessive dripping. You need to seal the bottom and put several trays of perlite down there to catch whatever drips do form. At the very least, get a timer with 15-minute intervals. They're cheap. Try running 15 on, 30 off.<<< copy and pasted from RR's Notebook

Offlinemrmojoshroomin
All-summa BeenNoddin
Male User Gallery

Re: Coolmist greenhouse questions [Re: mrmojoshroomin]
    #15934690 - 03/11/12 07:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Load the pre-moistened to field capacity casing mix, compost or manure into quart mason jars. Place a lid and/or foil over the top. Put the jars into a large covered pot of cold water, with the water filled to 2/3 to ¾ of the way up the jars. A large kettle or pressure cooker works well. If necessary, put a plate or some other weight over the jars to prevent them from floating. Make sure you have a spacer or dishtowel under the jars to prevent the direct heat of the stove burner or flame from cracking your jars. Place the lid on the pot and turn on the stove. Bring the water to a boil, but watch over it and as soon as the water actually reaches a boil, shut off the stove, but leave the pot sitting on the burner. The preceding is for an electric stove that will remain hot for a little while after shutting off power. If you use gas, allow the water to boil for one to two minutes before shutting off the stove. After a couple of hours when they’ve cooled, the jars can be removed and used.
The first time or two you use this technique, monitor the interior of your jars with a meat thermometer. Place it right into the center of the peat or compost. You want to make sure the center of the jar reaches at least 140F and stays there for an hour, but don’t allow it to exceed 170F. Depending on the thickness and capacity of your kettle and lid, you may need to adjust the above times slightly. This tek works because glass is an insulator, so the temperature inside the jars lags the water in the kettle. When I use the above procedure with 7 full quart jars in my All American 921, it comes out perfectly just as written. If you use a smaller pot, you may need to turn the stove on briefly at the ½ hour mark for a few minutes.
The advantage to this tek is there is no pillowcase, etc., to drain and little to no mess or stink is made in your kitchen or pressure cooker. The disadvantage is you have a bunch of jars to wash when you’re done.<<< also copy and pasted from RR's Notebook:wink:

OfflineNamRedruM0016
***THE NOOB***
Male

#15935433 - 03/11/12 09:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

my method for pasteurization:  works for me

start a bunch of pots of water boiling.. bigger the better IMO

mix your bulk sub however you like.

put mix into a Durable pillow case

put pillow case into a cooler

add boiling water until its about 3/4 the way filled

use a probe to mix the pillow case/sub up so the water gets into it.. try to get as much bubbles/air out of the submerged pillow case as possible

check your water temp... shoot for around 170-175 degrees f
adjust by adding more boiling or warm water etc...

once temp is rite.. use something to weigh down/submerge the pillow case, close lid.. and let her brew..

check temp 3 times, once every half hour, to ensure temp is still good; as long as its above 140 you should be good.. more than likely it will stay rite at the 160 mark :smile:

After 60-90 Min's ((i always go 90)) take her out.. be careful.. and strain her down to feild capacity.. ill let you use your imagination on how to strain, maybe you can come up with one better than mine cause its a pain..
GL

--------------------

MY TRADE LIST:

Offlineshamanamba
The Shaman
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15935468 - 03/11/12 09:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I keep the ultrasonic on for all 12 hours of the light cycle, then let them cool down and dry out a little during the dark cycle. My fan is timed to run for 15 minutes once every two hours.

I haven't had this schedule going long enough to give any definitive results, but it seems to be working alright. For a little while, it just didn't seem like any of my sub would pin much. I got a few fruits here and there but nothing spectacular.

I noticed after a while that the pins I did have were maturing and opening up their caps early. I read on here that this means the sub is losing water, so I have everything on a 12 hour dunk right now and I'm gonna see how that works out over the following couple weeks.

yay fun stuff

--------------------
The Shaman

OfflineNamRedruM0016
***THE NOOB***
Male

Re: Coolmist greenhouse questions [Re: shamanamba]
    #15935493 - 03/11/12 10:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

BTW.... im jelous of ALL OF YOU... its been like 6 months since my last grow and i have to get my housing situation together before i can even fathom another :frown:

i miss my BaBies................... lmao

--------------------

MY TRADE LIST:

Offlinemrmojoshroomin
All-summa BeenNoddin
Male User Gallery

#15935508 - 03/11/12 10:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

NamRedruM0016 said:

After 60-90 Min's ((i always go 90)) take her out.. be careful.. and strain her down to feild capacity.. ill let you use your imagination on how to strain, maybe you can come up with one better than mine cause its a pain..
GL

Take yer pillow case outside and run over twice w/ a car:thumbup: Then fluff to right consistency:wink:

Offlinemrmojoshroomin
All-summa BeenNoddin
Male User Gallery

#15935517 - 03/11/12 10:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mrmojoshroomin said:
Quote:

NamRedruM0016 said:

GL

Take yer pillow case outside and run over twice w/ a car:thumbup: Then fluff to right consistency;)

BTW put a piece of plastic between car tire and pillow case, and pillow case and ground:thumbup:

OfflineNamRedruM0016
***THE NOOB***
Male

#15936071 - 03/12/12 01:20 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Why does the force tell me you're not joking lmao...

Brilliant Mrmojo.. and so simple haha.. im gonna try it nxt time :smile:

--------------------

MY TRADE LIST:

Offlinemrmojoshroomin
All-summa BeenNoddin
Male User Gallery

#15936085 - 03/12/12 01:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

NamRedruM0016 said:
Why does the force tell me you're not joking lmao...

Brilliant Mrmojo.. and so simple haha.. im gonna try it nxt time :smile:

Works like a charm!! Got the idea after i slipped in the bathtub and busted my ass trying to do the electric slide across my Poo!!:ahahaha:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate