Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineViridian
Male User Gallery

Viridian's Agar Syringe Tek (vast) - Tutorial
    #15865777 - 02/26/12 11:34 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Viridian's Agar Syringe Tek

First of, if this has been documented before, I don't mean to rip off anything or steal credit. I used the search function and nothing came up.
I came up with this idea yesterday and successfully tested it just now.

Purpose: With this tek, you can easily inoculate cakes or spawn with a piece of agar. It's not very useful to inoculate petri dishes (I'll get to that).

Required materials:
  • Petri dish with colonized agar
  • Knife or scalpel
  • Lighter
  • (optional) disinfection spray
  • sterile syringe (should be sturdy, i'll get to why that is important)

As you can see, you only need a few components and very little time to make this work.

Procedure:
  • 1. Spray your general work space with disinfectant or glove box, if you're gonna be using it.
  • 2. Sanitize your cutting instrument with fire and let it cool.
  • 3. Open up your petri dish and cut out a piece of agar. Since I am using a 3 ml syringe (it should work with any volume), I cut out a wedge of agar roughly sized 2 cm². Note that the exact size does not matter, as long as it can easily fit into the body of the syringe.
  • 4. Pull out the plunger of your syringe. Obviously, that will cause air to get into the syringe, which means you might want to hold the tip of the needle into a flame while you do that.
  • 5. Carefully place the wedge of agar in the syringe and reinsert the plunger.
  • 6. Push the plunger all the way up, forcing the air out and causing the agar to deform and become compact.
  • 7. Now the syringe is ready to inoculate, but here's where it get's tricky; since agar is fairly solid at room temperature, it will be very difficult to inject it through the thin needle. You can solve this problem by either slightly warming up the syringe by placing it in a bag which you submerge in warm water. Alternatively, you don't warm up the agar and use some strength to force it through the needle while inoculating. Because you will have to use quite a lot of strength to do that, make sure your syringe will be able to handle it and won't break.
  • 8. That's about it. Store the petri for further use and clean your syringe with some warm water.

Pros:
  • fast
  • requires few components
  • (hypothesized) lower risk of contamination than LCs

Cons:
  • very limited control over how much you are injecting, which means one piece of agar is usually only good for one bag of spawn. If you want to inoculate petris, do not use this tek.
  • requires some strength, which can be a problem when inoculating in a glove box.

Disclaimer:
This is a very new and experimental tek, which means I can't present any results as of now. However, a report of the spawn I inoculated with this tek will follow soon.
I am in no way responsible for any injuries or damaged materials or contaminations that are the result of the appliance of this tek. I'm also in no way responsible for any use of this tek. Remember onlyt o use it for purposes that are legal in your country.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebishlap
Po Thead
Male

Re: Viridian's Agar Syringe Tek (vast) - Tutorial [Re: Viridian]
    #15865796 - 02/26/12 11:44 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

why not just do a lc would be much easier imo.
generally if you are starting a lc from spores it can be sketchy but if you already have agar you should be able to make a clean lc.

E: worded wrong

--------------------
"If you're not worried that you took way
to much, you didn't take enough" -
Terrence McKenna

There is no soul, only the ego dies.
The body was never yours.

Edited by bishlap (02/26/12 11:49 AM)

OfflineViridian
Male User Gallery

Re: Viridian's Agar Syringe Tek (vast) - Tutorial [Re: bishlap]
    #15865880 - 02/26/12 12:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

All in the pros: you save the time of making a lc and skip the risk of it being contaminated.

Invisiblechopstick
nobody
Male

Loc: Chin's Wok
    #15865892 - 02/26/12 12:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Contam can hide in your LC, you use that LC to knock up 100 jars and the contam doesnt show itself in the jars either, then you do ten 10 quart tubs and they all get green and you're like shit wtf?

Offlinebishlap
Po Thead
Male

#15865897 - 02/26/12 12:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

everyone does things differently and that's fine, if no one tried anything new we would still be collecting wild mycelium and planting it in a carefully prepared garden.

it just seems your tek is overly complicated to achieve what you could do by squarting some dh2o on agar with healthy mycelium and use that to make 200+ ml of solution as opposed to one syringe at a time.

or check this out

www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6817701/an/0/page/0]

--------------------
"If you're not worried that you took way
to much, you didn't take enough" -
Terrence McKenna

There is no soul, only the ego dies.
The body was never yours.

OfflineViridian
Male User Gallery

#15865949 - 02/26/12 12:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the link. I guess the tek depends on what you want to do. In my case, I used it to inoculate a single spawn bag. Had I prepared a whole lc, it would have meant another go around for my PC, which is tiny.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale