Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!)
    #1577326 - 05/25/03 10:37 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

All this rain we've had in Georgia has brought many good things...

I finaly did it, I went and found the new species of Psilocybe that the shroomery's own LizardKing discovered. Of course I didn't find them on my own, LizardKing gets all the credit, he told me the general location. Out of respect for LK's patch, I only picked one for gill shots and left the rest... But I did get a shitload of pictures :smile:

Hopefuly these pictures will be enough to prove to all the naysayers that this IS, in fact, a new species. If you tell me they're weilii I'm going to smack you :wink: . There is no doubt in my mind that these are an unnamed species, so don't try to say otherwise.

I also found my first weiliis of the spring, and some animals and other stuff... Yes, there's picture of that too :smile:

Many, many thanks go out to LizardKing for introducing me to this new spcies!
You have any idea what you're going to name them?

Enough talk, heres the pictures:

The first one found, notice the stem was already bluing.

The cap.

The gills.

Another gill shot... Just look at that blue stem :smile:

Another new species mushroom.

And another... See how the cap is blueish?

Way out of focus, but you get a general idea of the habitat.

Another mushroom with bluing along the margin.

And another...

And another...

That's it for pics of the new species, moving on to some weilii pics:

Sorry about the quality... it wasn't convient to take the pics in the wild. It's weird enough jumping out of a car into someone's lawn to pick mushrooms... much less jumping out with a camera and geting pics :wink:

These are just two of the 5 that I found... Gave the other 3 to a friend.

More random pictures of nonactive things:

Lycoperdon perlatum, a type of edible puffball mushroom. Unfortunatley these were past their prime and I didn't get a chance to taste them.

The top of a L. perlatum. Cool lookin', eh?

Another shot of the puffballs... Low lighting= motion blurs =\

A tiny little toad.

A blury(more bad lighting) picture of a place that's full of mushrooms-- not active ones, just some edibles and nonedibles.

Another pic of the same place... It's my new favorite place to just hang out, well, minus the mosquitos.

Yep, same place.

Thats it for this post. I'm about to make a new post about Psathyrella velutina: the weilii look alike. All you weilii hunters be sure to check that one. 

Edited by GumbyDude (05/25/03 10:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: Gumby]
    #1577345 - 05/25/03 10:46 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Nice pics and awesome finds!!!  Congrats! :laugh:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1577416 - 05/25/03 11:26 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Great photos and interesting mushrooms.

To get the naming it needs to be published and a type collection needs to be placed in an official herbarium which can provide access, but I'm sure you guys knew that. Let us know when it gets published so I can try to find a copy (or maybe you could post a copy here).

That little toad is great.

You must get a ton of rain down there.The only places here that are that green are places where it's a bit swampy.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1577426 - 05/25/03 11:29 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

In the past month we've gotten around 9 inches of rain... Quite a bit.

As far as naming the species and such, I'll let LK tell you about all of that. I do know that he has sent a few specimen(s?) to Guzman for analysis and he has taken a few up to the University of Georgia.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1577575 - 05/26/03 12:40 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

A new species - wow, that's so exciting!
/me on knees: "Could I get few spores, please"  :grin:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: zeronio]
    #1577579 - 05/26/03 12:42 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Next time I go pick them, I'll get a couple for printing if it's alright with LK. He calls all the shots here, tis his species after all :wink: 

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1577687 - 05/26/03 01:48 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome frog!  :smile:
And the rest too...  :grin:

Offlineglassman
simpleton
    #1577904 - 05/26/03 07:21 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the pics GumbyDude! those are very helpful. i'll be eagerly awaiting the Psathyrella velutina update as well.
So the dark colored stems and dark area around the caps margin seen here on your weilii is the intense blue bruising from the shroom growing so mature?
hmm. . . is that why i see so many weilii pics with white stems and so many with these dark stems?

--------------------
I pulled that. . . right out of my ass. Like a cartoon. Whip! I've got a bulldozer! Whip! I've got a mug of soma! Whip! I'm outta here! ion

-glassman-

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1577918 - 05/26/03 07:48 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Gumby,

It is nice to finally see some habitat pic's for these mushrooms.
-The habitat pics are amazing..it looks like a Shroom wonderland..

Anonymous

Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1577937 - 05/26/03 08:07 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

well its not HIS species....unless he genetically engineered em....anyone can go pick them and distribute spores if they want... I do think its cool that he found them but you don't need permission too pick a wild mushroom :P

Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
    #1577983 - 05/26/03 09:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

gd....does this new species have the same unique smell of weilii?

and to the poster that said that no one owns a mushroom or a patch (or something to that affect), imo it says alot that gd didn't want to step on lk's patch or species....thats the way it should be. respect and trust.

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
    #1577996 - 05/26/03 09:18 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

nice pics! im goin shroomin today myself :smile: (morels though)

i love your new forest bungalow,

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: ]
    #1578165 - 05/26/03 11:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the credit gumby, looks like you found some nice ones :smile: I was out there earlier that same day, and I think I actually have pics of some of the same exact mushrooms you have posted in this thread :smile:

To the person who said theres no reason you can't distribute the spores to whoever you want and pick as many as you want. That would be true had he found this patch on his own, but I told him where to go and where to look, is it asking too much if I don't want spores spread around until this species is published? I could have kept this mushroom all to myself, instead I have shared it with gumby, ladle, and a few others, not to mention posting it here and sharing with everyone else. I know its not "my mushroom" but it is my patch, and I am the one that discovered it, all I ask is a little respect and credit in return.

So to answer any questions about prints. I would love for everyone to have a print of this mushroom to play with, but until it has been documented, published, and the experts get a chance to grow it out, I'd rather the general public not have access to this species for obvious reasons. Call me a dick, but thats how I want  to go about it.

Let us not forget that this new species very well could be atlantis, or possibly Ps. mammillata. Guzman has specimens of this mushroom, the UGA has specimens, Mr. mushrooms has some material hes working with, and workman also has some material hes working with. We shall know soon if this is truely a new species. If I don't here back from guzman soon, I'm thinking of taking this new species an entirely different route, we'll wait and see.

BTW: Nice pics Gumby, your camera kicks ass!

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: glassman]
    #1579136 - 05/26/03 05:57 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

>So the dark colored stems and dark area around the caps margin seen here on your weilii is the intense blue bruising from the shroom growing so mature?
hmm. . . is that why i see so many weilii pics with white stems and so many with these dark stems?

It's form aging I'd guess. Once they are done growing they'll start to deteriorate and oxygen will get into the tissues causing the psilocybin to oxidize-- that gives you the bluing reaction.

Weilii's typicaly have an off white to yellowish stem. The ones that you see with really dark stems are ones that have been handled roughly and have briused a lot... probably mushrooms in my pictures :wink:

Someone had asked about the smell... It's not really the same as weilii, but similar. They don't smell like any regular ol' mushroom. 

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: Lizard King]
    #1579738 - 05/26/03 09:31 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hi Lizard King,

Giuzman is working on revising the Genus Psilocybe for an updated edition.

I know he still has not worked on any of my six or so new species i discovered in Seattle, Cambodia, Suphan Buri and on Koh Samui from the last three and a half years (including the conical looking ones I posted below which I found in 1977 in the Freeway Park. I gave those to Guaman years ago..

If you find his time and slowness a bother/, I might suggest that you have it analysed yourself for chemical verification and/or taxonomic ID.

Most mycology departments charge several hundred dollars to look at what might be susupect as new material.

As for a hallucinogenic mushroom, Most mycologists will not want to look at it period. They have no interest in drugs or us who like them or do them ocasionally.

That is the problem of the game.

I know I am the one who told you to send them to Guzman because he is the leading expert on the taxonomy of the Psilocybes, but Guzman is lacking in other genera but is the leading authority on the Psilocybe species. And that species you found is deifnately a Psilocybe.

It does not look like the P. atlanta (or atlantis)I have seen or have images of in my files so it could very well be something new.

Again, as for someone working on it.

Good luck.

I am still waiting.

On the other hand I am doing SEM work on 15 Thailand collections of shrooms. My colleagues in Thailand areworking with me are doing taxonomy on two new species and thirteen other collections on their, cultivation, chemical analysis and DNA.

This is what I will be spending half of my time in Thailand while on my vacation and my last trip to Southeast Asia.

You might get a professor to at least look at your spores and give you their relative size. Unless like I mentioned they are not really interested in Psilocybes and most likely will tell you to send them to Guzman in Mexico.

My friend at the U of W will soon be looking at Joshua's shrooms for him.

Anyway. Good luck and have a nice Weilii summer.

Mj

HJEre is one of the many new species.

P. violacea Guzman and Allen

and two unnamed new species from Seattle

And another from Suphanburi.

And finally no those are not cubensis but they look a little like them. They blued, although there is none int he picture.

Similar ones of that last one were also collected in Koh Samui, 900 kilometers fromt he top collection.

and some natural growing ones before I picked them and put them in that basket.

Again, these are shrooms I deposited in several herbariums in Mexico, Europe, USA and in Thailand.

It seems that when i go there I get more done than I do waitng on Guzman. Still he will get to them all sooner or later and he has many other species he has not looked at besides mine, most likley also yours.
have a shroomy day,

mj

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA
    #1580152 - 05/26/03 11:58 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Congrats on the find. Please keep us updated on your quest to get these identified and published.

Just out of curiosity, how did the University of Georgia professors react when you gave them a Psilocybe species to identify? Are there any legal ramifications to giving Psilocybe species to schools?

Edited by Stymee (05/27/03 07:04 PM)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1580181 - 05/27/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: World Spirit]
    #1580798 - 05/27/03 06:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Stamets has no time for anything except Stamets. Stamets and I both had aurerescens since the early 1980s. IT took him until I introduced him to Gartz in 1991 to work on the P. azuresecens shrooms. WE originally wanted to name them P. astoriensis.

David aurora has a mistake in his early editions of Mushrooms Demystifuied. A picture of paul Stamets P. cyanofibrillosa is labeled P. cyanescens. Both Paul and Arora knew of this for ten years and never bothered to correct.

Arora is not interested in hallucionogenic mushrooms. He is an edible man.

AS I said Many shrooms sit for years until somene interested gets a permit to study them. The big fear is the liscense.

Anyone in school cannot simply work on psilocybine mushrooms. The substances they contain are illegal by law and 99% of all mycologists do not have a schedule one permit to work with those mushrooms. That is the primary reason. And while Rick Doblin of MAPS is currently conducting psilocybian research on humans, he is not a mycologist to do taxonopmy on those very shrooms.

IT is also a location problem since the majority of students who do have such interests are in harvard where they teach courses related to shrooms, many there also do not have permits to work with the shrooms.

And my colleague Gartz has also had a new species for three yeasrs and I get no response from him.

Currently I am having problems with him as a co-author who is sellintg my photos in Germany behind my back and making money. So Gartz is basically oput for anything from me.
mj.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: Stymee]
    #1580802 - 05/27/03 06:10 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hi Stymee,

Quote:

Are there any legal ramifications to giving Psilocybe species to schools?

I have been giving shrooms to university herbariums for twenty years. A herbarium will take in collections if dated and pertinant info and/or data is also provided.
However, For instance: in Hawaii which has more than 40 large collections of magic shrooms, mostly donated by me, no one has ever requested any of them for research. Dr. George Wong is the manoa campus in Honolulu of the U of O. He teaches a class on hallucinogenic and poisonous shrooms each year., it is on his web-site, but DOn Hemmes who wrote Mushroomss of Hawaii only briefly mentioned their occurence in Hawaiii. He teaches at the Hilo Campus in Biology and mycology.

They, the straight mycologists are juystr not interested in drugs or the people who do them. That is how they mostly look at us who do like the shrooms.

mj

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: New Psilocybe species and weilii(TONS OF PICS!) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1580905 - 05/27/03 08:31 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

What about european mycologists like Machiel Noordeloos? He researched family Strophariaceae in Netherlands. I'm sure he doesn't need special permits to study Psilocybes. :laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale