Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewanderingmarlin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Zone 10a, 33 N lat, CA US...
Helvella lacunosa (Elfin saddle)
    #15678209 - 01/17/12 01:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I was hunting in a canyon near my house in SoCal when somebody came up to me and said "Hey are you looking for mushrooms? There's a big patch of black morel just up there." I was skeptical since morels don't usually fruit here this time of year but went and checked it out and... voila

Moderate sized patch of H. lacunosa was growing under a pine tree.  Well, I'd never eaten or seen them before so after some quick ID work I figured they'd be worth cooking up.  Mushrooms Demystified commented on their tendency to make people sick, but properly cooked they're supposed to be decent eating. Well....

It was DELICIOUS.  Absolutely amazing, mild but delectable flavor almost like sweet pasta (the closest analogy I can think of).  Split lengthwise, parboiled for 5 minutes then sauteed in butter with a tad of sun dried tomatoes that came canned in herbs/spices and oil (I shredded the tomato slice and only used a bit so as not to overpower the mushroom flavor).  Perfect texture, almost melt-in-your mouth, I think a more minimalist approach (i.e. parboil and sautee, no spices etc.) would be best with these. 

Anybody else hunt or eat these guys or related species? When's the best time to look for them?

Also, I dug up a whole fruiting body (with a large clump of mycelium-ridden dirt) and half-buried it in a patch of compost/straw/woodchips under a douglas fir (no pines in my yard, this is the only conifer), what are the odds I'll have a backyard patch at some point?

--------------------
Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLuckOfTheFryish
Hi! I'm Fry!
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW Canada Flag
Re: Helvella lacunosa (Elfin saddle) [Re: wanderingmarlin]
    #15678577 - 01/17/12 03:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ive never eaten them before. im afraid to. but i usually find them through out fall and most of the way through winter. they seem to hold up in the cold better than alot of other mushrooms. even if it snows, after only a day of it being melted, even if its still cold, they seem to pop up. thats my experience with them.

--------------------

Offlineyoungspacepod
Elysian Night Owl
Male User Gallery

Loc: The South Sound Flag
Re: Helvella lacunosa (Elfin saddle) [Re: LuckOfTheFryish]
    #15699037 - 01/21/12 07:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i just found one of these near my campus the other day, took me a few days to pick it since they almost look like theyre rotting or something

i identified it the same but strangely the entire single fruit i picked was black, only a little bit of gray on the top and bottom of the stipe. interesting to hear that they actually taste good, after reading about the toxins you have to cook out before being edible i was skeptical to try this one. might give it a shot sometime now tho, how do they cook form being dried?

--------------------
A group of like minded individuals is nothing to be trifled with..        Young Trade List

Invisibletrigger
non-trusted identifier
 User Gallery

Re: Helvella lacunosa (Elfin saddle) [Re: wanderingmarlin]
    #15699299 - 01/21/12 08:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

hella-ville, elfin, awesome, saddle

the closest ive tasted is the gyromitra esculenta, yet its a hold different story with a similar warning,,,,

--------------------
If you want to under stand me more better, use a hillbilly redneck voice while trans posing my words 

Edited by trigger (01/21/12 08:49 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder