Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNyarlethotep
Expanding minds think alike
Male

Loc: california
Will this extraction work?(simplest I've seen yet)
    #15547155 - 12/20/11 07:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Saw this on youtube, and was wondering if anyone tried this yet? It's the simplest tech I've seen yet.

Dried mimosa hostilis bark, shredded up. Freeze a few times to break down cell walls.

Materials: hydrocloric acid, lemon juice, diluted water, a large pot, a smaller pot, glass dish.

Take the smaller pot, put it inside the large pot. Fill the larger pot with water, so there's water between the two.

Put the shredded bark in the smaller pot, and cover it with a mixture of hydrocloric acid, and purified H20(enough to cover/soak it, but not too much), add lemon juice as well, to help extraction, but not too much. Put it on the stove on medium to moreate heat(in the vid, he actually uses a heating pad, at 60 degrees celcius I think), for 45 min.(the larger pot/water is to prevent the mixture from boiling)

Strain, put it back into the smaller pot, add more Hydrocloric H20/lime juice, for 45 min. Strain into same container as other liquid. Repeat a 3rd or 4th time until the liquid is lighter/near clear.

Throw away the bark.

Put the residue liquid into a glass dish, and either set it under a fan/hair dryer, or put it in the freezer for slower evap. Will be left with power/crystals.

Repeat the process a few more times if the product isn't pure enough.

I was wondering if anyone used this because it seems simpler than most other techs, and uses less toxic materials.(only hydrocloric acid)

I'm certain this will work, but I'm not sure how potent the end product will be. Anyone ever tried it?

--------------------
curiousity killed the cat but people forget that cats have nine lives.

Go on, get curious.

Edited by Nyarlethotep (12/20/11 07:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNorCalCyan
Stranger
Re: Will this extraction work?(simplest I've seen yet) [Re: Nyarlethotep]
    #15547241 - 12/20/11 07:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This is the simplest tek I have ever stumbled across, involves no acids. NaOH then extract with naptha.

https://mycotopia.net/forums/botanicals/36231-lazy-mans-guide-extracting-mimosa-hostilis-root-bark-vortex.html

Edited by NorCalCyan (12/20/11 07:39 PM)

OfflineNyarlethotep
Male

Re: Will this extraction work?(simplest I've seen yet) [Re: NorCalCyan]
    #15547362 - 12/20/11 07:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well, that does use more chemicals, but that takes less time/energy(think it said only 2.5 to 4 hours, to extract moderate yield, longer for higher yield), so neato. I might have to try that one then. Good thing is that all of these chemicals can be easily evaporated, leaving a clean product. Could these chemicals be found at Ace Hardware?(I'm sure they can) Hopefully, they're not too expensive.

I've never tried DMT before, so I was looking for the safest, easiest at-home technique. Thanks man. :smile:

Now to find the cheapest/most reliable source for MHRB powder. :smile:

(would just come right out and ask, but apparently that results in ban?)

--------------------

Go on, get curious.

Edited by Nyarlethotep (12/20/11 08:00 PM)

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
    #15547388 - 12/20/11 08:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Wow...that's fucking stupid.  If you already have acidified the bark with HCL, what's the point of citric acid (lemon juice)???  At best you would end up with a tiny amount of DMT citrate, which would NOT be amenable to vaporization, and whose overall yield would be so vanishingly small for oral consumption as to be an offense against nature.  Other simple teks would yield a ten fold increase in a better, more user-friendly product.

That tek blows...and makes no PRACTICAL sense whatsoever.

N.B.

Edited by Nature Boy (12/20/11 08:08 PM)

OfflineNorCalCyan
Stranger
Re: Will this extraction work?(simplest I've seen yet) [Re: Nature Boy]
    #15547430 - 12/20/11 08:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have quite good results with that tek, RO water basified to 13.5-14.0 pH. Extract with Naptha. The only thing I do different is freeze precipitate in a pyrex dish then pour the naptha off for future use leaving pure whit crystal Dimitri. I also use powdered instead of chunks. Super easy and super high yield. Do not knock it until you try it brotha.

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
    #15547447 - 12/20/11 08:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

OP made no mention whatsoever of extraction with naphtha or freeze precipitation.  He just said evaporation of a simple acidified water extraction with NO bassification.  READ the OP.  That's a BIG difference!!!!!

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

OfflineNyarlethotep
Male

#15547455 - 12/20/11 08:20 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, I'm gonna go ahead with the NaOH/sodium hydroxide, and naptha extraction that Norcal recommended, because it's better an even simpler.

I'll let it soak for 3 days, and then evaporate it in the freezer.

What I would do different, tho is maybe use a turkey baster to suck off the Naptha, and evaporate it in the freezer over night. Not that I am worried about accidentally getting some of the rootbark material into the naptha, but it is a possibility.

I don't have a vaporizor, but I was thinking, would using a lightbulb work, or is that too ghetto/crappy to work?

If I don't use that, I'll make a gravity bong and smoke it out of that. Either a water one, or a bread bag one. Both allow huge hits, and the water one will make the smoke less harsh.

Also will try insufflation, and taking orally with MAOI and see how that compares.

--------------------

Go on, get curious.

Edited by Nyarlethotep (12/20/11 08:21 PM)

OfflineNorCalCyan
Stranger
Re: Will this extraction work?(simplest I've seen yet) [Re: Nature Boy]
    #15547495 - 12/20/11 08:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

No worries NB,

I was simply trying to help him by showing a link to a tek that was very easy . Isn't this sit about informing and helping each other?

Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
    #15547506 - 12/20/11 08:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That tek will work fine for what it is, a way to make a crude powder to take orally with an MAOI. If you want a smokable product you'll need to take it a step further and convert it to it's freebase form then extract with a non polar solvent.

--------------------

OfflineNorCalCyan
Stranger
    #15547508 - 12/20/11 08:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I forgot to mention the freeze precip but the link does say extract with Naptha as does my OP. I just started doing the freeze precip because I am able to minimize the fats without actually doing a defat.

OfflineNorCalCyan
Stranger
    #15547529 - 12/20/11 08:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Not a chemist but iirc Naptha is a non polar solvent. Once extracted with the sodium hydroxide it is in its free base form. This tek works great. 500G of ground powder netted 8g. enough for god knows how long….

Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

#15547539 - 12/20/11 08:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

NorCalCyan said:
Not a chemist but iirc Naptha is a non polar solvent. Once extracted with the sodium hydroxide it is in its free base form. This tek works great. 500G of ground powder netted 8g. enough for god knows how long….

The tek you posted mentions nothing about basifying with sodium hydroxide and extracting with naphtha. It finished with a crude powder containing DMT salt.

--------------------

OfflineNorCalCyan
Stranger
Re: Will this extraction work?(simplest I've seen yet) [Re: muistrue]
    #15547569 - 12/20/11 08:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I copy and pasted directly from the link I provided. scroll down.

1. Break a pound or 454 grams of dried of Mimosa hostilis root bark into small pieces so that no piece is longer than three inches allowing them to all nicely fit into the bottom of a large 5 liter mixing bowl with lots of extra room left over and set to the side.

2. Prepare some basified water by fully dissolving 200 grams (~13 measured tablespoons full) of NaOH/sodium hydroxide lye powder into 2 liters of tap water in a large measuring cup.

3. Add the basified water you just made to the bowl of broken root bark, stir for a few minutes and set aside for two or more hours (longer is better).

4. After soaking the root bark in high pH NaOH adjusted water (which is near a pH of 13.5 or more) for a couple of hours or more take a stainless steel potato masher and start mashing the broken root as best you can in the basified water for 20-30 minutes (longer is better).

5. After you are done mashing the root bark for a few minutes (which will still be fairly hard if only soaking 2 hours) then add 250 to 400 ml of clean room temperature naphtha (more makes separation from the soup easier) and stir the solvent into the aqueous mix for 20-30 minutes (longer is better).

6. After mixing the naphtha into the bowl pour as much of the solvent as you can easily get off of the top of the aqueous mix (naphtha floats on top in water as a distinct layer) into another container, leaving all of the dark soup behind which will be extracted over again later. Be sure not to allow any of the dark water or any of the bubbly emulsion which may have formed in the solvent to go out with it, you just want clear solvent now leaving everything else behind in the bowl.

Note: If you have so much emulsion that the solvent is half filled with it wait a few minutes to an hour for it to settle out so you can get more of the solvent out.

7. Take all of the clear naphtha without any water or bubbles in it you have carefully separated from the basified mix of water and root bark and pour all of it into as large a flat glass container you can find for evaporation. Using a fan to blow air across the top of the fluid will help speed the rate of evaporation several fold faster.

8. After all of the naphtha has been evaporated you will find small white DMT bumps of extract stuck to the glass which can be scraped off with a flat blade. If you also see some shiny clear film on the glass it is best to wait until they completely solidify into a white deposit of DMT before scraping off together with the larger white clumps.

Extraction notes:

When this extraction process was first tried with inner root bark 1.0 grams of very white alkaloid without discernable fat impurities was extracted from beginning to end in just 2 and a half hours and that includes the time to fan evaporate the naphtha in a broad flat glass pan. Of course, the aqueous mix of root bark needs to be extracted over to get more of the alkaloid out of the mix but you can get plenty of DMT for unspecified uses in a short amount of time this way with a minimal amount of elbow grease and time.

Soaking the root bark in basified water

The broken inner root bark was soaked in 2 liters of water with 75 grams of NaOH dissolved into it for 1 hour before trying to mash the root bark in the basified water with a potato masher. The bark almost immediately became a dark black color and the water soon after became very dark brown colored which after 30 minutes of working the root bark with a masher started to appear more black than brown.

The first extraction cycle:

After that 400 ml of naphtha was poured into the aqueous basified mix which was then stirred for 30 minutes with a potato masher so that the solvent would absorb the alkaloid released from the root bark by the high pH water. I like to use 300-400 ml of solvent per extraction to make separation from the basified portion of the mix easier. Then the naphtha was carefully and slowly poured off the top of the aqueous mix into another container for full evaporation to net a full gram of white alkaloid from 500 grams of inner Mimosa hostilis root bark without powdering it.

Second extraction, NaOH doubled:

Right after this first extraction I wanted to see if increasing the amount of NaOH would increase the yield so 75 more grams of sodium hydroxide was dissolved into ~750 ml of additional water and added to the mix with 400 more ml of naphtha poured into the bowl which was stirred again for close to 30 minutes and carefully separated from the mix for evaporation. With the amount of NaOH doubled the yield was found to be 50% greater at 1.5 grams of alkaloid and because of this I recommend a minimum of 150 grams of NaOH for 2 liters of water when extracting 250 to 500 grams of broken root bark and from 200-250 grams of this base per 3+ liters of water when extracting from 500 to 1000 grams of broken root bark.

Third extraction

After the first two extractions the root bark was extracted a third time right way. 400 ml of fresh solvent was added to the mix again and stirred for 30 minutes before pouring the naphtha off for evaporation to yield about ~1.25 grams on the third try that day, all in just a few hours. From there another 400 ml of naphtha (which is way more than needed on a solubility basis) was added to the brown to black appearing aqueous solution, covered to prevent further evaporation and put away to soak for close to 24 hours.

Forth extraction, long soak:

After another day the root bark had become far softer and almost slimy instead of stiff root bark as it had been the day before, the NaOH clearly doing its job at breaking the plant material down. The solvent from this forth long term extraction was evaporated to yield another 1.5 grams of white extract for a total of close to 5 grams of impure DMT from 500 grams of inner root bark from the four extractions spread over 30+ hours from when the root bark was first placed in the bowl.

Fifth extraction, another 24 hours and warming:

For this fifth extraction of the aqueous solution naphtha was added into the bowl and allowed to sit another 24 hours before pouring the naphtha off for evaporation. An hour before pouring it off the mix was warmed to 120 degrees F. and stirred for 20 minutes. Upon evaporation I found that the warming had made quite a difference, even after having extracted the mix four times prior I found that I was able to draw nearly 2 grams of alkaloid into the solvent this time which was more than any of the previous single extractions, even greater than the first or second which you would naturally assume would be greater. Part of the reason for this might be that the root bark had soaked in the basified solution longer releasing more alkaloid to the water and also part due to both the basified mix and solvent being warm but in any case the draw was highest on the fifth extraction of the solution bringing the total net up to ~6.5 grams with more left in the root bark to get out, all from 500 grams of inner root bark.

Sixth extraction, more heat caused problems:

A sixth and last extraction was performed to the mix by pouring 500 ml of fresh naphtha back into the bowl, stirring for a few minutes and then heating the aqueous solution under the naphtha to 130 degrees F. for an hour, stirring often. The temperature of the naphtha floating on top of the basified solution was measured to be 10-15 degrees cooler than the basified mix below it due to what I assume was being caused by cooling as the solvent evaporated off the top, even though a fairly slow rate of evaporation. After an hour at 130 F. the warm naphtha was poured off for rapid fan evaporation in the large flat glass pan which yielded close to 2 grams of yellowish extract (only becoming yellow after solidifying, clear until then) but this time upon cooling did not firm up very quickly and even after 8 hours was a very soft sticky extract which was obviously mostly DMT as indicated by both smell and crystalline formations but would not dry into a firm wax-like substance very quickly due to what I believe might be fatty impurities released from the root bark when heated too far in the base solution.

Extraction advice; soak longer, extract more with less work:

Instead of all of the multiple extractions one after the other you could save yourself some work by just throwing 500 grams of broken pieces of root bark into 2 liters of water with 200 grams of NaOH dissolved into the water and then pour in 750 ml of naphtha and set the whole container aside for three days, stirring just once a day for 20 minutes at a time. After three days the solvent from a single draw of the aqueous mix should contain far more alkaloid, maybe has high as two thirds the total amount I had pulled out in four separate draws done over 24 hours. Obviously, even after letting the mix sit for three days and a very successful first big pull of the alkaloid from the mix you will need to re-extract the aqueous solution with more naphtha at least three times to get the bulk of the alkaloid out but then you could probably still continue extracting the mix a half dozen times or more and still get more of the alkaloid out each time, although ever diminishing returns. You just have to decide how much you want to get out of the mix before considering it a waste of time or solvent to continue working at it.

Notes on separating the naphtha from the aqueous mix:

When separating the naphtha from the NaOH/water/root you may need to first pour the solvent off the top of the mix into a large measuring cup allowing some of the dark basified water to come over with it so that you can more easily pour the solvent off using the small spout on the measuring cup because when pouring the solvent out of a bowl it is difficult to control what pours out.

OfflineNorCalCyan
Stranger
    #15547580 - 12/20/11 08:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

All of that was from that link, did you not read the whole thing?

Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

#15547594 - 12/20/11 08:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

NorCalCyan said:
All of that was from that link, did you not read the whole thing?

I read your whole post which included none of that.

--------------------

OfflineSharpstuff

Loc: Australia Flag
    #15547599 - 12/20/11 08:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I Always liked pictures =3

Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

#15547611 - 12/20/11 08:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I was replying to the op of this thread, who are you?

--------------------

OfflineNorCalCyan
Stranger
Re: Will this extraction work?(simplest I've seen yet) [Re: Sharpstuff]
    #15547616 - 12/20/11 08:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry bud I do not know what to say then. In my OP I posted this link https://mycotopia.net/forums/botanicals/36231-lazy-mans-guide-extracting-mimosa-hostilis-root-bark-vortex.html

Click that link then scroll down, do not click the other links at the top of the page. Sorry, my intention was not to confuse anyone.

Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

#15547625 - 12/20/11 08:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

NorCalCyan said:
Sorry bud I do not know what to say then. In my OP I posted this link https://mycotopia.net/forums/botanicals/36231-lazy-mans-guide-extracting-mimosa-hostilis-root-bark-vortex.html

Click that link then scroll down, do not click the other links at the top of the page. Sorry, my intention was not to confuse anyone.

Dude look at my first post in this thread I wasn't replying to you I was replying to the op of this thread and the tek he posted.

--------------------

OfflineNorCalCyan
Stranger
    #15547642 - 12/20/11 08:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I am not the starter of the thread. I thought Nature Boy was saying the tek I posted blew but after reading he was referring to the technique the thread starter was originally going to use. Either way hope what I posted helps and enjoy and respect the molecule Nyar!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order