Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAlabamaApe
Mycophile

Loc: Planet Earth
How much venom in agar?
    #15448571 - 12/01/11 07:41 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hi, i want to play with some venom, but i have no idea how far the stuff will go. I could afford half a gram or so no problem, but how much agar can i venomate with that? I cannot seem to find specifics on any ratios.

I am currently using paul stamets antibiotic agar

thanks guys

--------------------
I like big basidiocarps and i cannot lie, you other enthusiasts can't deny.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: AlabamaApe] * 1
    #15454023 - 12/02/11 10:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

What type venom and what is your purpose.  You gave no information on which to base an answer.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblebabz89
engrossed:mycophile
Female User Gallery

Loc: PNW! Flag
Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15456030 - 12/02/11 07:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Good question (both of you) I am intrigued to know :smile:

--------------------
"When the war of love overcomes the love of war, the world will truely be a better places. One love"Bob Marley

Offlineshroom_boom
boomer
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: babz89]
    #15461775 - 12/03/11 10:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

what purpose are you using the agar for sounds interesting tho im gonna get my popcorn

Offlinejimbotron
Patty-Cake Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: shroom_boom]
    #15462655 - 12/04/11 03:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I hope he's just trying to raise his Alchemy skill to 100 and then sell the poisons, but remind me to never buy shrooms from this guy :tongue2:

Offlinewickedpayara
Happy Scientist
Male

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: jimbotron]
    #15468268 - 12/05/11 06:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

What r u talking about on the venom. Im curious on this one,but it doesnt sound like a good idea

--------------------
I love shrooms and the magic with in them, not just the psylicibes but all of the medicenal shrooms also. They all hold cures to sickness and i support them all the way. I think we should really research mushrooms and the government should chill and let us live our lives. Some choose to live under control but i choose to live as i live and be free. Thank you Robert Mcphereson for opening the doors with ur PF cakes

InvisibleHesy-Ra
Marvin The Martian

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Mars
Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: wickedpayara]
    #15468358 - 12/05/11 07:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

wickedpayara said:
What r u talking about on the venom. Im curious on this one,but it doesnt sound like a good idea

+

+

=

--------------------
"We must capture a live earthling, K-9, and take him back with us to Mars. Isn't that a nice assignment? Hm?"

InvisibleAlabamaApe
Mycophile

Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: Hesy-Ra]
    #15473249 - 12/06/11 06:08 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I am sorry RR and i apologize everyone. I presumed the whole rattlesnake venom thing and cell nuclei interaction in venomated agar was a more well known thing... i think i have gotten caught up in my excitement with the topic and made presumptions. I love mad scientist stuff.

Venom = Crotalus Atrox (western diamondback)

Purpose = playing with various psilocybe and gourmet species, i have marked interest in hybridizing sclerotia producers (mexicanas, tampanensis, atl #7, etc) for kicks/challenge.

I know i am putting the cart ahead of the horse, but then again this is a question about lab procedure/graciously requesting notes and wisdom from the experienced---not an order form haha :wink:

and speaking of order forms, a lab rep at sigma aldrich on live chat informed me i would be fine without any kind of licensing. Later i received an email about a screening process.... i hope this stuff is available. Need be I'll deceive them, i have relatives and friends with any credentials i lack.

thanks again for any input/answers

--------------------

InvisibleAlabamaApe
Mycophile

Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: AlabamaApe]
    #15473345 - 12/06/11 06:54 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

okay i just found several pages of the "Snake Venom Into Hybrids" thread that i had not read. All my questions remain... and RR it seems although you don't take cultivation related PM's you are the only person on the board who has worked with rattlesnake venom.... So i guess this a RR snake venom specifics request thread... It was not my intention to make a "call-out thread" especially in light of your pan/cube research. Sorry, feel free to lock/delete.

otherwise:
how much venom has been used in agar for different purposes?
Your two written and two telephone interviews, could you share the focus?
Anything else rise to the forefront in breaking down mycelial cell walls?

thanks so much guys, and sorry for the low post count, and btw could someone pm me some info on how to set up my avatar pic on here?

--------------------

OfflineKnifeplay
HAIR POLICE
 User Gallery

Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: AlabamaApe]
    #15479373 - 12/07/11 09:35 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not trying to put you down here but hybridizing two different species is a lot of work. Generally speaking, you're going to need to pour thousands of dishes and only a few will actually take. On top of that you are going to need to find a food source that doesn't favor one species over the other, lest they split. You're going to need a flow hood and a lot of experience to pull this off. I'd say start small, maybe take some upper division bio classes first. If you are in the bay area you can take an awesome myco class at SFSU to really get a basic understanding of how fungus works before you dip your toe into such a difficult endeavor. The professor is an awesome guy, if I remember correctly his name was Dennis. In fact regardless of what you decided to do you should see if you could go on a trip to the Sierra Nevada campus with them.

--------------------
bmiles: shrooms are 90% cum.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: Knifeplay]
    #15479726 - 12/07/11 11:04 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

1/10 gram per liter of agar solution is a good starting point.

However, it's not necessary for crossing related specimens such as P mexicana A, B, tamp, etc.

The screening process is to determine your motives.  It's a highly toxic and concentrated poison which would be easy to abuse in the hands of someone unstable or with criminal intent.  Expect at least one of the calls to come from the FBI or homeland security, etc., even though they don't say so. 

They also want to make sure it's not going into any food product.  If you use the venom to hybridize species, make sure you don't ingest the culture until it's gone to spores, and then from there grown into a product for consumption.

You'll want to have your business license and any other related lab info readily available that they ask for.  It might be best to get a university or someone you know at a lab to order it for you.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleAlabamaApe
Mycophile

Re: How much venom in agar? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15480197 - 12/07/11 12:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

thanks so much for the info. I do have a Series I coming in the mail, i'm about to start playing around with the basics. RR your generosity with your notes is humbling is usual.

Sure is frustrating but i suppose i understand the precaution. It can wait as i have alot of fun ahead of me in the coming weeks!!! :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order