Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesideshow
Stranger
innoculating with tissue?
    #1544390 - 05/13/03 06:19 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I've got a big old pile of p. Tamp., and I want to clone them... Now, i know you can put a sterile slice in growth medium, then use that to innoc. jars/bags, but it seems to me you ought to be able to use the tissue slice directly onto the growing substrate. Am i wrong? (i should think so...)

If i do need to put the tissue in a liquid "broth" first, can anyone recommend mix that works -- ive seen a lot of teks, ranging from maple syrup/water to complicated agar/dextrose/malt/yeast madness?

TIA everone, and keep up the good work

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: inoculating with tissue? [Re: sideshow]
    #1544435 - 05/13/03 06:55 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

* inoculating

> you ought to be able to use the tissue slice directly onto the growing substrate

true.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: inoculating with tissue? [Re: Anno]
    #1544492 - 05/13/03 07:36 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

You could use a sterile piece of a fruitbody in the jars (after they cool) but it would take longer to colonize because it will be harder to spread the hyphal cells.

Any liquid medium suitable for fungi should work; it will even grow a bit in dextrose water.  I would use agar first, IMO, to isolate a known-to-be clean sample and then throw that in the water.

If you need any help, tell me -- I am great at ghetto rigging media recipies.  Malt/Dextrose/Yeast extract sounds good, though -- the yeast is for vitamins like biotin so it can be good to add in -- makes for healthier growth.  I go so far as to even throw in a non-essential amino acid mix :wink:

Just if you make liquid media, remember 2 things:

1.) STERILE (of course.)  You could always put in a tight-fitting septum plug (like on the blood vials) to ensure sterility.

2.) You're probably going to want to break up the mycelium up afterwards.  You'll want to put something like broken glass or metal jacks in it (I use 1mm glass beads if you happened to work in a lab or one at school they should have some.)  Anything that will sterilize ok.  Large ~16g needles also help to draw it up.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinesideshow
Stranger
Re: inoculating with tissue? [Re: micro]
    #1544541 - 05/13/03 08:34 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for that micro - just a couple of qs:

I'm growing for sclerotia, so time isnt a problem - if i chuck sterile slices of truffle in a jar of medium, will that (eventually) form sclerotia if i just leave it? And what medium would you recommend - i don't have acces to a lot of gear (or ??), so i was thinking white rice + water (recommended for sclerotia formation). Would adding dextrose/yeast to that help?

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: inoculating with tissue? [Re: sideshow]
    #1544705 - 05/13/03 09:44 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Not if you're trying to form sclerotia; you want a more simplistic medium.

Are you trying to grow truffles? Noone has done this as of yet -- they grow way underground and their spores are spread through mole feces. Some PhD did patent some way to innoculate a forest in Oregon, though.

You might be able to grow the mycelium, but I seriously doubt you could get it to fruit. Sorry, I don't know if it forms sclerotia.

Oh -- FYI -- you'd need a fruitbody less than 48 hrs old.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Edited by micro (05/13/03 09:45 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck