Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRustik
Where am I?

Corn Meal as a substrate + Vitamin B1/2/3 issues
    #1542056 - 05/12/03 02:56 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Alrighty - I did some searching around thru threads that were years old, but didn't find much except the following:

One person said that their experience with corn meal was a disaster, stating that he thought the corn meal contained some sort of enzymes/other factors that contributed to bacterial growth that was "hard to destroy". (Note- I personally think this person just wasn't careful with sterilization - a 24 hr waiting period after preparation and before pressure cooking is enough to kill almost any common contam.)

The other post that I found on corn meal suggested that it was an excellent substrate, and that he had no problems. I believe this to be a more reliable response, but I would still appreciate any more info.

I'm just trying to get some more feedback here. If you have used it or know of any other threads where it is discussed, please reply. Thanks!

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

Edited by Rustik (05/13/03 03:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Corn Meal as a substrate - would appreciate feedback [Re: Rustik]
    #1543577 - 05/12/03 11:02 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

cornmeal will work....I would treat it like a PF cake...grits work too...but not as well

P#1

OfflineRustik
Where am I?

Re: Corn Meal as a substrate - would appreciate feedback [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #1545565 - 05/13/03 03:04 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

ty for the feedback prisoner. I figured since corn is such a great substrate (popcorn or regular corn), ground corn (meal) couldn't be any worse.. I checked the additives, there's nothing bad that I can see, but since it's not completely organic (it's "enriched") maybe you can help:

Ingredients:

Enriched yellow corn meal

then in perintheses right behind that... (Niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid)

I think Niacin shouldn't hurt, I think it's basically just vitamin B3. Iron shouldn't hurt either, imo. Thiamine mononitrate I believe is just vitamin B1. Riboflavin is vitamin B2. So we have B1, B2, B3, iron, and folic acid (yet another B vitamin).

I'm gonna do a search and see if I can't find any posts concerning B vitamins, but if you know what effect (if any) it would have on "a project," let me know.

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate