Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
is tripping a cure for existential anxiety?
    #1541872 - 05/12/03 01:33 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I've heard this sort of thing from several different sources. The problem with tripping or with mystical experience in general is that we still have to live in the mundane world. if tripping actually does somehow renew contact with a 'ground of being' in a more permanent manner, as alot of people claim tripping does. thoughts?

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Edited by Malachi (05/12/03 01:52 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesunyata
nonexistentexistentialist
Re: is tripping a cure for existential anxiety? [Re: Malachi]
    #1541880 - 05/12/03 01:40 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Good question. I don't know if the 'contact' you speak of is necessarily permanent; however for me, it provided some evidence that there is more to the world than what my existentially angsty young self believed. It led me to look into spiritual philosophies and to formulate a new worldview devoid for the most part of any such silliness.

Anyway, I can't speak for anyone else but in my experience the answer has been yes.

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
    #1541908 - 05/12/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, great question. When I trip, I usually eventually dwell on death, our ultimate isolation from everyone and everything, and the inherent meaninglessness of everything (or at least feel this somehow). But then I realize that such concerns are based in a myopic, logic-chopping way of looking at things arising out of the way the human organism perceives and cultural conditioning...

Yeah, something like that. Our angst neccesarily arises from the billiard ball causality model that we apply to nature and forget that is just a model, mistaking the map for the territory. Integrating this into your non-shrooming experience (and other ideas that can be derived from this idea, and ideas from which this idea is derived) is the big challenge. The world is mundane to the extent that you have not fully appreciated and incorporated such mystical insights, IMHO.

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

Edited by buttonion (05/12/03 02:01 PM)

Anonymous

#1542138 - 05/12/03 03:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It can be or it can also drive you mad.

Cheers,

Anonymous

Re: is tripping a cure for existential anxiety? [Re: ]
    #1542269 - 05/12/03 04:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

exactly mr.mushrooms. i've had to drop everything i believed because i could not formulate one grounding reason that holds my existence together. so many things, yet so few, i have no understanding of anything and i don't care. i had to resort to my formal thinking of logic and reason because it is the only thing that grounds me during my waking reality. i felt madness take a hold of me when i tried to understand, i've given up "trying" to understand, for my sanities sake. i might entertain things for fun, but everything is just cosmically silly to me.

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1542536 - 05/12/03 05:36 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i find that, for me, the idea that unifies reality and subsequently gives me confidence in my existence can be best summed up in the saying:

"go with the flow"

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Anonymous

#1542641 - 05/12/03 06:08 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I've only got one shroom trip under my belt but from that one experience I can definitely answer YES. All my life I've felt this anxiety, like I should be somewhere else, doing something else, anywhere but "here." Then while tripping, for those few sacred hours, I felt the most extreme relaxation and calm ever.  The mushrooms have a way of telling you that everything will be okay, no matter what happens. Too bad this feeling only lasts a couple days afterward. Of course on a high-level trip I'm sure this isn't true!

This probably only applies to hallucinogens though. Tripping on DXM? A cure to existential anxiety? LOL!  :wink: 

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
    #1542848 - 05/12/03 07:33 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

this isn't right on topic, but it's close.
i think stuff like this can really help certian people.
i have a friend who has had a really rough life, been through extreem depression, sucide, cutting, and anroexia (sp?)

a while ago he started smoking pot, and now he gets stoned pretty much every day...
i know drugs are not the answers to people's prolbems, but since he started, he no longer cuts him self, he laughs a lot more,and he is starting to eat on a regular basis.
and for someone like him..i think that it has helped him out a lot.

so depending on the person, yes i do think it can help.

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: is tripping a cure for existential anxiety? [Re: soylent_green]
    #1542858 - 05/12/03 07:38 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Due to our current scientific understanding into psychedelics and the human mind, it is very hard to give a good answer to the question. I think the best thing to say, is it depends both on the person and the set and setting of the experience. I have a strong faith of psychedelics healing powers if done in a proper environment.

OfflineViBrAnT
WaRpInG &sPiRaLiNg
Re: is tripping a cure for existential anxiety? [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1543065 - 05/12/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

awesome post, years of trippin, formulating, and then discarding new and old ideas has led me to take nothing seriously, and i dont feel uncomfortable anymore like i did before i started to trip. looking at a wall used to give my anxiety, it was that bad, i could never put my finger on exactly what was causing it, and doctors dont have a clue either, only what they are told to say. everyone dies, its just a matter of when, so live it to the fullest while you got it, the cosmic joke of my exsistance is just that.

--------------------
" liken this life illusory, for your sand castle will one day be adrift amongst the wind "

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1544216 - 05/13/03 02:42 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

is tripping a cure for existential anxiety?

It was for me... and that's all I can say.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1544379 - 05/13/03 06:03 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

After 32 years of Psychedelic Experience, I long ago came to the conclusion that these 'change agents' are not sufficient unto themselves. When insights emerge into consciousness, they seem to come from two different directions: the deep unconscious, wherein archetypal, universal truths are alive and well, and from superconsciousness, or Holy Consciousness, or Holy Spirit [Spirit being the archaic word for Consciousness].

The former realm can be 'stormed by force,' but an all-too-often result can be psychosis (howsoever transient). The latter cannot be forced, it must be, as Huston Smith calls it, "occasioned." The superconscious is transpersonal and transcendental, and can be occasioned more readily by the precondition of holding a conscious 'vessel' for its reception - a consciously held belief that adequately serves not only to 'contain' Transcendental Energy, but one that 'attracts' it as well, like a 'magnetic field' that both contains and directs high-temperature plasma. I have discovered, that when working with the 'high' energies involved with psychedelics, all belief systems are not equal in their efficacy to contain, channel, mediate and assimilate the Transpersonal realm into the personal realm of mundane existence. For myself, the 'Head' mysticism characterized by Hindu and Vajrayana Yogas was prerequisite to a 'Heart' mysticism found in Hinduism (Hridayam) and Christianity (Sacred Heart). I have desribed the 'ascending' and 'descending' movements of this path in other posts.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: is tripping a cure for existential anxiety? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1544888 - 05/13/03 11:21 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

MarkostheGnostic, I have been thinking thoughts lately about how the psychedelic experience affects different people, and I agree that the "change agents" themselves are not sufficient to bring about transcendent consciousness under such circumstances that memories of it can be brought back and treasured into the mundane human life. I've been thinking about the two first stages of traditional yoga, Yama and Niyama, or acting morally and thinking morally. There is a reason why yogis were supposed to master these first, even before trying all those various physical yoga exercises like standing on the head or sucking up liquid through their asses. And the mexican indians had similar reasons when they said that bad people would go crazy if they ate the holy teonanacatl, but good people would have divine visions.

I think they were on to something.

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1545224 - 05/13/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The mushrooms have a way of telling you that everything will be okay, no matter what happens

Same withe me

Psychedelics, gave me ego, confidence, it made me pull my head up, and say "wooh, I AM SOMEBODY, wow im no longer worth less than the dirt i walk on"

(ya sounds extreme, but you didn't live my life)

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: is tripping a cure for existential anxiety? [Re: johnnyfive]
    #1545883 - 05/13/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

acid let me love myself and my life
and I continued to let fear poison me

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: is tripping a cure for existential anxiety? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1547666 - 05/14/03 08:51 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Mark, now this is a great post!!

I'm surprised you don't really advocate the book The Psychedelic Experience (from my recollection) - to me, as I understand it, the book really lays out everything you've said with much detail.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order