Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
anyone have experience using thunderbird or evolution?? do they suck or what??
    #15415761 - 11/24/11 12:50 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

have you heard of evolution and thunder bird being well known for not working with smtp and pop3?? at least with gmail they don't work, pop3.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com

ports 25 and 110. or did I get that backwards, is it port 110 and port 25?? I don't know. anyway I opened up my firewall to forward those ports, and thought how redundant that is. I mean I know pop3 is used for personal emails like outlook and evolution and whatever mac uses. smtp is basic, I mean I can view yahoo mail and hotmail and gmail just fine. I'm really stumped. also, I previously had no problem getting gmail to work with outlook. and those ports in the dlink to forward require me to enter an i.p. address, how am I supposed to know what i.p. address belongs to each port? or am I confusing my basic i.p.v4 address such as 192.168.0.101 that I use everyday, that's what I enter??

sorry this gives me a headache. I'm trying to create an email data base for this friend of my dads, don't ask me why he isn't paying me shit. I said I'd do it but can't get these emails to forward. Oh well, is it possible to just start saving contacts in a folder, then turn those contacts into a csv file or something, then forward those contacts to your gmail account??

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetestlab
Web Master
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY, USA Flag
Re: anyone have experience using thunderbird or evolution?? do they suck or what?? [Re: imachavel]
    #15426358 - 11/26/11 01:24 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Some servers are now using smtp port 26 instead of 25 for more security. I know my linux servers use it. Thunderbird is good though even though I use firfox for testing and web developing with the addon firebug.

Port 110 is incoming mail
port 25 or 26 in outgoing

--------------------
Need a professional website? P.M me for online portfolio/resume , I can donate my 10 years of experience in E-Commerce, social networking and product branding. Sample ethnobotanical shop currently working on ( Sample Site )

Invisiblemagicbastard
I'm a teapot

Re: anyone have experience using thunderbird or evolution?? do they suck or what?? [Re: imachavel]
    #15428460 - 11/26/11 11:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
I'm trying to create an email data base for this friend of my dads, don't ask me why he isn't paying me shit.

He's knows what he's getting that's why you arn't getting paid shit :rofl:

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #15431563 - 11/27/11 04:40 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I haven't encountered such problems with Thunderbird. I've found it to be a good, reliable email client and I've used it for years with no problems.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: anyone have experience using thunderbird or evolution?? do they suck or what?? [Re: magicbastard]
    #15438669 - 11/29/11 01:48 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

magicbastard said:
Quote:

imachavel said:
I'm trying to create an email data base for this friend of my dads, don't ask me why he isn't paying me shit.

He's knows what he's getting that's why you arn't getting paid shit :rofl:

what the fuck are you talking shit about? I found him 100 emails, I could have done it on his windows lap top and put it in outlook. linux is a bitch to use. since you know so much, answer me this

if the smtp isn't working why does gmail work, yahoo work, hotmail work, etc. but not email@local if pop3 is enabled. did you even need to enable an online mail server database pop3 account to get hotmail to work? if I remember correctly, you just used the msn pop 3 and needed no account.

I'm tired of smart ass comments with "not getting paid shit" fuck this guy. he can get his own emails I'm not fucking IT I was just trying to do this guy a favor, and since it's constantly repeated that I'm not an IT master, he doesn't need me he can look up web sites emails on his own time and call people up to phone solicit or whatever the fuck it is.

if he wants cisco he can use skype and go fuck himself I don't have a clue so why waste my time

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: anyone have experience using thunderbird or evolution?? do they suck or what?? [Re: Le_Canard]
    #15438671 - 11/29/11 01:49 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
I haven't encountered such problems with Thunderbird. I've found it to be a good, reliable email client and I've used it for years with no problems.

I don't suppose you'd post your settings. I wouldn't know how to hack into your computer in the first place.

do you use imap instead of pop3?? you can enable imap in gmail now right? i didn't try that yet it might fix it what am i on :lol:
hahaha someone agrees that I'm not crazy, taken from google:

"c|net had a story up a couple of weeks ago entitled “Kids say e-mail is, like, soooo dead”. The story was about how kids were moving away from email and using instant messaging and social networking sites for peer communication. Maybe I know why. Or maybe I know why that could be such a temptation. The reason is simple. Email sucks. All email clients suck. No one of them has the feature set that I would like. Their handling of the email protocols can be atrocious, particularly IMAP. And don’t even get me started on having to interface with Exchange with anything other than Outlook. Also, you don’t know when someone has read an email (unless you’re using X.400, but that’s another story) or when they’re online. I can see why IM, social networks, and text messaging are gaining usage. Pownce, anyone? (BTW - I have a few invites left. If you’re interested, email me.)"

--------------------

Edited by imachavel (11/29/11 02:09 AM)

Invisiblemagicbastard
I'm a teapot

#15439310 - 11/29/11 08:12 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
I found him 100 emails

Spam email? what does this mean?

Quote:

imachavel said:
if the smtp isn't working why does gmail work, yahoo work, hotmail work, etc. but not email@local if pop3 is enabled.

I'm assuming you meant that you can access gmail.com, yahoo.com and hotmail.com but you cannot download google email to Thunderbird?
If that is what you meant, follow this:  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Gmail_with_Thunderbird_and_Mozilla_Suite

If that wasn't what you meant, then please explain with more detail.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: anyone have experience using thunderbird or evolution?? do they suck or what?? [Re: magicbastard]
    #15439327 - 11/29/11 08:20 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblemagicbastard
I'm a teapot

#15439354 - 11/29/11 08:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
I'm tired of smart ass comments with "not getting paid shit" fuck this guy. he can get his own emails I'm not fucking IT I was just trying to do this guy a favor

There is a saying that I've heard all through out my entire technical career, you get paid for what you know, not what you do.

The secret to being successful is Google
When I worked in a repair shop, I used Google for about 60% of the software issues I encountered. Everything you can encounter as imachavel can be googled because I can guarantee that someone has already asked the question that you have.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#15441094 - 11/29/11 05:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

magicbastard said:
Quote:

imachavel said:
I found him 100 emails

Spam email? what does this mean?

Quote:

imachavel said:
if the smtp isn't working why does gmail work, yahoo work, hotmail work, etc. but not email@local if pop3 is enabled.

I'm assuming you meant that you can access gmail.com, yahoo.com and hotmail.com but you cannot download google email to Thunderbird?
If that is what you meant, follow this:  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Gmail_with_Thunderbird_and_Mozilla_Suite

If that wasn't what you meant, then please explain with more detail.

yeah that's what I meant. ok I'll look at that, good point about being paid for what you know and not what you do. the world is like that, it's fucking weird. no reward for hard work anymore.

anyway not to be cynical, has anyone noticed that windows and linux are backwards? it is as if windows has a very detailed gui but very weak command line, but linux has a very detailed command line to the core, but a very weak gui. for example I created scheduled backups from my home folder to the backup drive incrementally, but they started backing up encrypted, the files were called full duplicity. I looked it up and it says I need an encryption key accessed through a usb drive, but I never created one. This encrypted backup was taking about 4 hours to get 2/3'rds of the way through. so I canceled, I went to backup manager and looked in all the settings, and can't find where I selected encrypted backup. weird

I guess linux is an os made for people who want to strip the head and write their own interface. But I don't have time for that, and it's been done. I mean windows was stripped and reinterfaced so that you could use those punch touch menu screens at restaurants and shit. they are so simple to use. it's been done. :lol: linux is great but ubuntu has such a crappy gui I'll admit linux mint is much nicer. I deleted the encrypted backup files since to me they are useless. oh well...

have a good one I'll look up those gmail imap pop3 smtp and all those settings and try and reconfigure this if possible. later

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals