Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNIMH
MadCap
 User Gallery

My situation with cigarettes and the dirty addiction.
    #15395763 - 11/19/11 11:05 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have two friends who can smoke once every week or two.  Sometimes they will smoke three days in a row on drinking binges.  Beyond that they don't smoke.  Average probably 15 cigarettes a month.

When I started smoking it was basically all in.  For 4 years  I smoked a pack a day.  Then I quit cold for two months, smoked for two weeks on vacation then quit cold again for 14 months.  I started again in June of this year and smoked until mid September.  I just wanted to smoke during the summer gatherings, music, camping and such.  I told myself it was just for the summer, and when it was over I quit. Not on a specific day, I just said I'm done and I didn't smoke.

During my current stint of not smoking, I had a cigarette 6 days ago with a friend, and haven't craved one since until tonight.

Those two friends I mentioned earlier, have always smoked like they currently do.  Occasionally where as I've been a full time smoker only.

Has anyone here gone from full time smoker to the occasional smoker? Occasional as in 1-3 smokes a week.

--------------------
I must not Fear. Fear is the mindkiller . Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and
through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. ONLY I WILL REMAIN.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshadowplay
Female User Gallery
Re: My situation with cigarettes and the dirty addiction. [Re: NIMH]
    #15395794 - 11/19/11 11:12 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yes. Any more questions?

OfflineNIMH
MadCap
 User Gallery

Re: My situation with cigarettes and the dirty addiction. [Re: shadowplay]
    #15395836 - 11/19/11 11:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

shadowplay said:
Yes. Any more questions?

Thanks. Yeah. Your story? Your mindset at the time?  It will be easier for me to not smoke tonight then to smoke a cig then smoke again in three days then in one then two in one day etc etc.  Quitting wasn't easy for me.

I know my will power and mindset better than anyone else, but really I was looking for others insight into their experiences and addictions to help me better judge my current relationship with mine.  It doesn't even have to be with cigs.  More about the transition from addict to occasional user.  I know the substances could be different but I'm more interested in the outlook and mindset of individuals that have undertaken this feat.

--------------------
I must not Fear. Fear is the mindkiller . Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and
through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. ONLY I WILL REMAIN.

OfflineShiVersblood
VAmPiRES HELLA ❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: United States of America Flag
    #15395851 - 11/19/11 11:28 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

its not possible for people addicted to ciggerates to be able to become occasional ciggerate users

Invisibleshadowplay
Female User Gallery
    #15395885 - 11/19/11 11:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well I quit my habit of smoking every day like a year and a half ago. I was pretty much broke and I wasn't gonna be one of those people who chose to buy cigs over food. Since then I've bought packs occasionally, but I haven't bought more than a couple packs in a row so I've never gotten re-addicted. I decided a few months ago to completely quit so that they don't even appeal to me anymore, but I've ended up buying a few packs this semester to keep me awake when I have to stay up all night writing a paper. I figure getting a bit more cancer is better than failing a class and not graduating in december. Hopefully after I graduate I can quit for good.

OfflinePigasus
D.T.K.L.A.M.F.

Loc: slow death
Re: My situation with cigarettes and the dirty addiction. [Re: shadowplay]
    #15395909 - 11/19/11 11:40 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i'm a little bit drunk and i have a third of a black & mild left and no more cigarettes

i'll be alright though, but i'll probably end up finding my way to the nearest gas station tomorrow morning

--------------------

Invisiblethe human abstract
malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

Re: My situation with cigarettes and the dirty addiction. [Re: Pigasus]
    #15395953 - 11/19/11 11:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

After looking and looking around on this site for tips to quit this is my best advice:

Make sure you don't do things while you're weening off.  Addict yourself for a couple weeks just taking three or four drags and putting it out.

It's a ritual addiction over anything.

or smoke a pack in an hour and you'll never want another one again :rofl:

--------------------
★★

OfflineConnoisseur

Re: My situation with cigarettes and the dirty addiction. [Re: the human abstract]
    #15395963 - 11/19/11 11:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I used to smoke between a quarter and half pack a day for about 3 years, one day I woke up and couldn't breath. After that I quit cold turkey, that was about a month ago and now the idea of a cigarette disgusts me. They bring me no joy what so ever.

OfflineFunguspants
Stranger

#15399229 - 11/20/11 06:56 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ok guys,

I smoked a pack a day for years and I said i was going to "quit" a couple times throughout this timespan, and all those times lasted a week.  That was because I didn't REALLY want to quit.  When I REALLY wanted to quit, I did it.  No help.

IMO the keys to quit smoking (from when I was successful + looking back on my times i "wanted" to quit...)

*YOU have to want to quit. When I say this i mean YOU 100% FULLY want to quit.  Now this isn't the "my mom doesn't want me to smoke so I'm gonna stop" thing, no.  In that situation / mind set, YOU still want to smoke, but you are quitting because your mother wants you to.  If it instead were... My mother gets really upset when I smoke, so I want to quit smoking because I don't like disappointing my mother... then that is YOU wanting to quit.  See the difference? If not think about it a bit. I didn't give the best example, but hopefully you see what I mean.

*DO SOME NUMBER CRUNCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously!!! Just fuck around with numbers!  This way may seem corny or like little kid health class / DARE shit... or what ever type of bullshit to people but honestly this just fucking lays shit out for you.  When I smoked, I was paying 8.52 for a pack of my smokes.  Like I said, I smoked ATLEAST a pack a day... for math sake I'm going to say I smoked at least 8 packs a week.  So 8 packs every 7 days.

... 8.52 x 8... = ... $68.16. That is 68 dollars and 16 cents.  SIXTY EIGHT FUCKING DOLLARS (AT LEAST!!! Some weeks I would go through up to 10 packs! 10 packs a week is really not uncommon... look back on your smoking habits and see) so at fucking LEAST i was spending 68 bucks.  68 fucking bucks. What do you do once you crunch numbers? Put them into your life.

It costs me roughly like 50ish dollars to fill my tank.  So for 68.16, I can FILL my tank, and have about 18 dolalrs to do with what I please.  For 2 extra bucks, I can get a bag of some dank ass weed.  Or I can just take a girl to the movies, or maybe to a cheapish dinner?  Again, to make this number seem BIGGER... this is the amount of money I would HAVE to spend (I went through atleast 8 packs a week, no questions) every week... just to smoke cigarettes.  CIGARETTES.  I didn't spend 68.16 on some cigs, weed, and booze... I spent 68 dollars on cigarettes... x on booze... y on weed, and z on what ever other drug i bought.

Money wise, smoking does NOT make sense. And these numbers ARE NOT bullshit numbers (like they may seem if given in DARE or something).  When I stopped smoking, I seriously... FUCKING SERIOUSLY... started "making" (made the same amount of money the whole time) bank.  I would often go to the bank and be like WTF??? HOW do I have all this money in here??? Its because of not smoking.  When that fact actually set in my head (bit of denial... to accept that I was spending THAT much on CIGARETTES alone) my mind was blown.  I began PILING up money so fucking fast I had no idea what was going on... lol it was honestly crazy... I went from living pay check to fucking paycheck, to being able to go TWO WEEKS (i get payed weekly) without having to cash my paycheck!!!! That month I seriously felt SO proud.  It was amazing.

So those numbers were just about MONEY... if you get into health the numbers really hit home a lot more... ask your self, when did you start smoking?  I started smoking my sophmore year of highschool.  I was like 15.  I don't know if they're all over the country, but I live on the NE coast and we have those anti-smoking adds (honestly praise allah for these adds please kids watch them and listen) that usually show a smoker being interviewed and they describe the terrible medicle condition they have from smoking.  Well, I remember one specificically, it was this woman who I think was liek 30 somthing who had like all of her fingers amputated do to complications that were from cigarette smoking.  She smoked for like 12ish years I think... but anyway she was fucked.  From cigs.  Where does this apply to you?  Well, I looked at it like this.

This woman (maths sake) is 35 years old, smoked for 12 years, and is missing almost all of her fingers from smoking.  I started smoking at 15.  So fast foward 12 years,  I would be 27.  Replace the person in the add with you.  It hurts doesn't it?  Would you want to be 27 and missing fingers?  Or maybe 35 speaking through a robo-voice-amator?  I don't think so.  Seriously people, look at some numbers, watch some adds, put them into perspective, it will honeslty disgust you, shock you, and MAKE you want to quit.

*DONT BE A FUCKING PUSSY ASS BITCH ABOUT IT.

I say this THREE times, because IMO this is what leads to failure.  Its almost like people look at "quiting" as "yeah guys... im not buying cigs for the next 2-3 weeks so enjoy bumming to me".  Seriously, if you are quiting, YOU ARE QUITTING.  You are not cutting down.  You are not "not buying cigs".  You are fucking QUITING.  Do not fucking smoke.  Do not fucking bum a cig.  This seriously does lead to failure ( my past times I went through this and got no where).  DON'T GIVE IN.  DO NOT SMOKE!! I DONT GIVE A FUCK IF YOUR DRUNK DONT TAKE THAT CIG!  This will be hard the first couple of times, but then it becomes easier, and starts to really feel good to deny that urge.

I feel great after I quit smoking, its been quite a while now, and these are my tips to succsess.  I did it 100% cold turkey, no help, no words of wisdom, not encouragement, no nothing.  I did not change my daily routine, I continued to drink / get high.  In fact, I kept my "last pack" (endedup destroying it a week after not smoking) on me the whole time.  I randomly decided halfway through a pack that the time was now, and to push my self I kept those bitches on me and I never gave in, not once.

YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

--------------------
:macdre::scumbagsteve::chillin::scumbagsteve::chillin::scumbagsteve::macdre:

AWWWWWWWWWL DAY SUCKA WAT

"I... I don't want to die"

"BITCH SOMETIMES WE GOTTA DO THANGS DAT WE AINT WANNA DO"

Edited by Funguspants (11/20/11 06:56 PM)

OfflineFunguspants
Stranger

Re: My situation with cigarettes and the dirty addiction. [Re: Funguspants]
    #15399268 - 11/20/11 07:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Also... this really does need to be mentioned IMO...

NOT EVERYONE CAN BE AN OCCASIONAL SMOKER.

Please, some people yes they can. Others, not at all.  Watch your self.

It really is a shame to see someone who has been cig free for years become an "occasional smoker"... and then go right back to their old habit. 

Or, an occasional smoker become a pack a day man.

Not saying it can't be done, it can be.  But please watch out.  Cigs when it comes down to it are

1) nasty
2) expensive as hell
3) nasty
4) not worth it at all
5) nasty.

--------------------

Offlinelove2shpongleIRL
Opiophile
Male

#15399308 - 11/20/11 07:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Tried but it landed me back in addiction.

--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

OfflineFunguspants
Stranger

Re: My situation with cigarettes and the dirty addiction. [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #15399392 - 11/20/11 07:26 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

love2shpongleIRL said:
Tried but it landed me back in addiction.

exactly what i mean in my second post.

is the occasional smoke worth it?  to current smokers, it may not seem like such a problem... but to someone who has quit and been cig free for a while, what do you think?

I turn them down every fucking time, I don't even think about it.  I will NEVER subject my self to that shit again, I will never THROW AWAY 68 dollars of my hard work away again. Fuck all that, cigs really are just not worth it at all.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds