Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR Flag
Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens
    #15382186 - 11/17/11 12:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I will be putting together a Bonsai garden very soon, and I was looking for advise about types of trees that work well with edible or active mushrooms and how to get started. Preferably Cyan

Something like this would be a miricle, but I would have a larger pot with enough surface area to grow many small mushrooms or a couple large ones.

Edited by VancouverNoob (11/24/11 02:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFungi_Fox
Mycelium
Male User Gallery
Re: Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens [Re: VancouverNoob]
    #15382360 - 11/17/11 01:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Im unsure about whether or not it would be possible due to the fact the conditions of the mushroom would have to fit the conditions of the bonsai, but i think it would be cool to have a mushroom that glows like the "foxfire" or another similar one.

Maybe a wood loving species and you can grow them on a dead branch to fit into the scene. Graft a bonsai onto a dead piece of wood with mushrooms growing off it?

There seems to be many things you can do.

I would love to see what you do with this.

--------------------
Ive been attacked by the curiosity of the wonderful world of mycology. I collect the fruits of my knowledge... literally.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
RogerRabbit said:
They're growing from the bottom because he used the wrong size jars.  All his moisture has run down there from gravity.
RR
------
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Offlinebangarang420
The Mellow Mushroom

Re: Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens [Re: Fungi_Fox]
    #15386137 - 11/17/11 08:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Vancouver, its totally possible!
Looks like a fellow shroomerite did it with Garden Giants. I was thinking the garden giants could work symbiotically. It would be great to see if its possible with wavy caps or another woodlover. Keep us posted

--------------------
If in doubt, search posts out

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens [Re: bangarang420]
    #15386997 - 11/18/11 01:26 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Cool, I will check out that thread. I am putting the garden together, and I plan on doing a journal on it;) This project could potentially last decades:) I would love to do cyans, but my biggest problem is the variety of trees. 

Edited by VancouverNoob (11/18/11 01:33 AM)

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens [Re: VancouverNoob]
    #15391891 - 11/19/11 01:57 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, Bonsai can be very complicated without involving mushrooms. This project will take a very long time(years), but the pay off will be worth the effort. I will be picking up my tree tomorrow, and shortly after I will start my next journal. This entire bonsai project will be created in a attempt to grow cyans. . .

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

#15391956 - 11/19/11 02:31 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Really cool look at mature alder with bonsai alder. I know cyans grow on alder chips, but is alder the "indicator" species?

http://www.got-bonsai.co.uk/treeinfo/trees/alder.html

Offlinekeeno
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #15392123 - 11/19/11 04:43 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i grew bonsia as a kid, and the thing I'm concerned about it the size of the pot.

as i'm sure you know, you keep the tree small by stunting it's root growth (as well as pruning) but I'm not sure there'd be enough room for the mycelium?

i'm probably wrong though, so i'd say go for it and have a chat with PsyloSymon

best of luck!

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens [Re: keeno]
    #15394582 - 11/19/11 06:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

keeno said:
i grew bonsia as a kid, and the thing I'm concerned about it the size of the pot.

as i'm sure you know, you keep the tree small by stunting it's root growth (as well as pruning) but I'm not sure there'd be enough room for the mycelium?

i'm probably wrong though, so i'd say go for it and have a chat with PsyloSymon

best of luck!

I will be using a pot larger than the standard shallow bonsai pot. You are right about size limitations, but this will be a whole new bonsai;)

P.S. I don't think the tree is stunted if you trim right. I think the goal is to dwarf. . . IDK<----noob

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

#15394599 - 11/19/11 06:40 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't get my tree today, just felt like hunting cyans. I'm glad I made the choice;)

I will use the spore prints from those to create colonies for my bonsai:)

Offlinekeeno
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #15396467 - 11/20/11 05:39 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

wow awesome haul!!! well done there! :awedance:

and I'm looking forward to seeing how this experiment goes. I'd love to see a picture of a gorgeous bonsai with some shrooms at the base. can you imagine? it'd look like a 6 foot tall cyan :smile:

Offlineslugtree22
Stranger
Re: Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens [Re: keeno]
    #15398028 - 11/20/11 02:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe a satsuki azalea

OfflineJaffyJaffar
Nom Nom Nom
Male

Loc: AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!
Re: Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens [Re: slugtree22]
    #15398155 - 11/20/11 02:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Wwmmd?

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens [Re: keeno] * 1
    #15398731 - 11/20/11 04:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

keeno said:
wow awesome haul!!! well done there! :awedance:

and I'm looking forward to seeing how this experiment goes. I'd love to see a picture of a gorgeous bonsai with some shrooms at the base. can you imagine? it'd look like a 6 foot tall cyan :smile:

Didn't think of it like that. Taking photos of a "giant" cyan would be amazing! Hahaha

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens [Re: slugtree22]
    #15398751 - 11/20/11 05:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

slugtree22 said:
Maybe a satsuki azalea

I will look into them. I keep finding cyan's near this tree, but I have no clue what species it is. Knowing my noobness, it's probably Alder. lmao

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #15399037 - 11/20/11 06:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

That's Alder.

P cyanescens will grow well around your Rhododendron for sure.

Gosh, I miss being west of the cascades.  We're supposed to get 18 inches of snow over the next two days, and already have over a foot on the ground right now.  Our cyanescens patches didn't even fruit this year because we went from hot summer to freezing winter without a single drop of rain.  It's the first fall where we went from hot and dry to cold and snow without at least a short rainy season. :shrug:
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for advise on growing mushrooms in Bonsai gardens [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15399459 - 11/20/11 07:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
That's Alder.

P cyanescens will grow well around your Rhododendron for sure.

Gosh, I miss being west of the cascades.  We're supposed to get 18 inches of snow over the next two days, and already have over a foot on the ground right now.  Our cyanescens patches didn't even fruit this year because we went from hot summer to freezing winter without a single drop of rain.  It's the first fall where we went from hot and dry to cold and snow without at least a short rainy season. :shrug:
RR

I had a sneaky suspicion it was Alder, but I have zero knowledge of trees. Thanks for the ID!

I know what you mean about the weather this season. We've barely had rain, and temp is dropping quickly. They seem to be having much better luck up north. Last season I found my monster patch just three days before the snow, so I am staying optimistic.

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

#15399502 - 11/20/11 07:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Some questions for you guys. . .

For the sake of the bonsai roots, I was thinking about using finely ground alder. Will cyans grow ok, or do they need to be "chips"?

Also, how will bonsai fertilizer affect the mushrooms?

How long will the mycelium produce fruit in the bonsai container?

Can I use moss as the casing layer?

P.S. I realize this is rare in shroomery, so a hypothesis will work. Just an experiment:)

Edited by VancouverNoob (03/29/12 11:38 PM)

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

#16068714 - 04/10/12 03:45 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

As stated, this thread will probably last years. I'm about to harvest some potential bonsai trees(season is right), so I feel tree type may be important.

Also, I'm getting away from cultivation of actives. The idea of going to prison for growing active mushrooms has completely turned me off. It blows my mind that actives(natural growing fungi) have the same penalty as drugs like cocaine and heroine. From now on I will only grow edibles and medicinal fungi. 

I'm open for any suggestions for tree type or mushroom type. I just want to get the most bang for my buck. I'm doing bonsai anyway, so I might as well introduce fungi.

OfflineVancouverNoob
Anarchist
Male User Gallery

#16175290 - 05/03/12 03:56 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have been given three bare root fruit trees, but they may be too tall(2ft). One Plum, Peach, and apricot. I plan on picking up at least ten more various trees to experiment with. Spring is finally here:)v

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom