Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBig_Sexy
LoveMonger
 User Gallery

Is there such thing as to much compression (Straw Substrate)?
    #15381501 - 11/16/11 09:12 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I am trying to figure out what would be better to do as far as contamination and yield goes.

Should I compress the straw via a a cinder block and cut out top (Rubbermaid)?
The cinder block was used to hold the straw under water during pasteurization so its clean and the top is sprayed with Peroxide. I would then remove the cinder block after 5 days so the mycelium can take hold first.

Or not Compress to help reduce contamination?

Any input or perspectives are greatly appreciated:rockon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSan
Novice
Male User Gallery

Re: Is there such thing as to much compression (Straw Substrate)? [Re: Big_Sexy]
    #15381509 - 11/16/11 09:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i'm pretty sure you're supposed to keep the straw compressed if it's too expanded.

The mycelium won't be able to colonize easily if each of the pieces of straw are too far apart.

--------------------
Actually not everyone was a noob.  Being a noob is a very new phenomenon.  Many people, the great majority in fact, were simply "beginners", "novices" or "new to mushroom growing".  Being a "noob" is reserved, and in fact created specifically for and by, the newer, much more lame generations coming about.

-Shpongle1

Invisibleshroomerite
Apprentice

Re: Is there such thing as to much compression (Straw Substrate)? [Re: San]
    #15381593 - 11/16/11 09:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldnt have compressed the straw during pasturization. Your supposed to soak it in hot soapy water for two hours. Then load straw into your tote your gonna pasturize in with your rubbermaid lid just sitting on top and . As far as spawning to it...

... If doing the log method you pack it in really tight. If your using a laundry basket you layer spawn and straw till its full. Then you pack it snugly not compressed with a brick. A simple rubbermaid lid with a couple small rocks to hold it in place is sufficient.

--------------------
  "For best results, learn to work with nature rather than against it. Mycelium has an amazing ability to cope with less than optimal conditions, and will often fruit when a grower does everything wrong. However, do everything right and watch your performance go through the roof." RR

OfflineBig_Sexy
LoveMonger
 User Gallery

Re: Is there such thing as to much compression (Straw Substrate)? [Re: shroomerite]
    #15381719 - 11/16/11 10:12 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

shroomerite said:
I wouldnt have compressed the straw during pasturization. Your supposed to soak it in hot soapy water for two hours. Then load straw into your tote your gonna pasturize in with your rubbermaid lid just sitting on top and . As far as spawning to it...

... If doing the log method you pack it in really tight. If your using a laundry basket you layer spawn and straw till its full. Then you pack it snugly not compressed with a brick. A simple rubbermaid lid with a couple small rocks to hold it in place is sufficient.

thanks for the input, the reason the straw was compressed during pasteurization was basically because it was necessary due to my set up in pillow cases and to decontaminated the cinder block so it doesn't contaminated the straw after spawning. Essentialy what I'm asking is how to be careful of contaminations after spawning to straw with a compression device (the top lid and weight).  More or less,

How do I be careful to not contaminate my Monotub when i have to remove the Cinder Block (since I need to compress it)???

thanks

OfflineSan
Novice
Male User Gallery

Re: Is there such thing as to much compression (Straw Substrate)? [Re: Big_Sexy]
    #15381834 - 11/16/11 10:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

If you're going to use a monotub then just remove the cinder block and spawn normally, then leave something flat and rigid with a weight on top of the straw to pack it down.

Only do this if it's taking up too much space though, you want the substrate to be loose, but not too airy.

What all is in your bulk? Just straw?

--------------------
Actually not everyone was a noob.  Being a noob is a very new phenomenon.  Many people, the great majority in fact, were simply "beginners", "novices" or "new to mushroom growing".  Being a "noob" is reserved, and in fact created specifically for and by, the newer, much more lame generations coming about.

-Shpongle1

InvisibleA Dick Shin
Jenkem Junky

Loc: Below the Kkee
    #15382182 - 11/17/11 12:31 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Good info:thumbup:

--------------------

Say My Name Fast!

OfflineBig_Sexy
LoveMonger
 User Gallery

#15382780 - 11/17/11 06:33 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

San said:
If you're going to use a monotub then just remove the cinder block and spawn normally, then leave something flat and rigid with a weight on top of the straw to pack it down.

Only do this if it's taking up too much space though, you want the substrate to be loose, but not too airy.

What all is in your bulk? Just straw?

Just to be clear, Im talking about compressing it after you spawn, not before.
How should I do this? Isn't it a good idea to keep the top on your mono tub after you spawn to keep down contamination?  I thought the major leaguers (commercial community) used hydraulic presses to compress substrate?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags