Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetje
Stranger

Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly
    #15364759 - 11/13/11 01:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hello,

I am currently in the process of growing my first set of mushrooms. I am following the BRF-Tek and my cakes have become fully colonized in their jars and now sit upon a bed of perlite inside of a large plastic bin with holes in it.

It's only 5 cakes. After they colonized in their jars, I dunk and rolled four cakes and chose not to dunk and roll the fifth. I dunked the cakes in water for 24 hours and then rolled them in vermiculite. Now, it's been about 4-5 days and the cake that I didn't dunk and roll is booming with fruit, however the others not so much.. They all have about 1-3 mushrooms growing, but no where near the amount of the undunked cake.

Anyways, I just wanted to ask if I'm being paranoid and should just be patient or if I may have done something during the dunk process that is stunting my cakes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJoeBloggs
Stranger
Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: tje]
    #15365169 - 11/13/11 02:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Did you leave them for 1 week after 100% colonization?

Jars at 100% require an additional 5-7 days to consolidate in the jar (colonize the core)

This may be your problem.

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: JoeBloggs]
    #15365185 - 11/13/11 02:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'd say you are just being paranoid. You can't really compare one cake to another with pf tek, unless you inoculated with lc. Since I bet you didn't each jar has different genetics and will do what it does

OfflineJoeBloggs
Stranger
Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: SomeGuy]
    #15365205 - 11/13/11 02:56 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

5 cakes that he dunked havent fruited Vs the 1 cake he Dind't dunk that fruited.

That dosent seem odd to you? its just genetics...? possibly, but the dunking has definately done SOMETHING>

OfflineJoeBloggs
Stranger
    #15365212 - 11/13/11 02:57 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Pics please? lets see how much of a difference there is in the fruit sizes.

OfflineStuffandButtons
Female

Loc: USA
    #15365223 - 11/13/11 03:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek
watch these videos, it will show you all you need to know about the birthing and dunk and roll. And there is more than likely nothing wrong with your cakes just keep misting and make sure they have FAE in your FC. :smile:

OfflineDirk_Diggler
Big Bright Shining Star
Male

Loc: California Flag
Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: StuffandButtons]
    #15367307 - 11/13/11 11:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I did the exact same thing. I thought that I could control the fruiting...boy I have learned my lesson the hard way. I put them in the SGFC and they sat for a week. After a week most of them started to turn blue (they are PESA) and so I redunked them. And they fruited several days later.

I learned that the consolidation period, as painful as it is to just sit there and wait, IS THE BEST THING TO DO! If you put them in the FC as soon as they are 100%, chances are they're going to sit in there for a week before they fruit anyways. And they'll also lose precious moisture that they will need to produce big fruits. So just let them sit knowing that they are getting stronger.

Others have noticed that by doing this (consolidating for at least a week) that the pinset is much bigger and more even.

So just wait next time. As for now, still just wait. :smile: If they start to shrink and turn blue before they fruit you may need to dunk again.

I'm not much further ahead of you experience-wise. But look at it as a learning opportunity. The best thing about mistakes is that you can learn from them. So even if you fail, you still learned something.

Good luck to you and keep us updated!

--------------------
My idea was, you know, I just want a name...I want it so it can cut glass, you know? Like, razor sharp. When I close my eyes, I see this thing...it's like this big sign...and the name is in, like, bright blue neon lights with, like, purple outline...and this name is just so bright and so sharp that the sign, it just blows up because the name is just so powerful...it says:

Offlinetje
Stranger

Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: Dirk_Diggler]
    #15369826 - 11/14/11 03:58 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you all for the advice. Yes, it is very possible I took these babies out of their cradles a little early. I basically waited until I could see nothing but white in the jars and then popped them out..

Here are some images for you:

Below are some interesting marks on one of the mushroom stalks. I know you can't see it too well, but is this anything to be concerned about? The cake doesn't look contaminated and this is the only stalk that has the markings.

I will continue to mist my mushrooms and be as patient as I can be. Thanks again for all the help.

Edited by tje (11/14/11 03:59 PM)

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15370317 - 11/14/11 06:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hey tje,

All those fruits say to me is: More Air!

(very long/thin fruits indicates a need for more FAE)

Those "markings" are not atypical for cubes.

Good luck,

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: Javadog]
    #15370699 - 11/14/11 07:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

those markings on the stem are; the humidity is kinda' low making fluffy mycelium at the base of the stem, THEN your mist is not very fine or too directly pointed at the cakes and the droplets knocked the fluff down:awesomenod: watch when you mist them and you can see it happening

Offlinetje
Stranger

Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: SomeGuy]
    #15375156 - 11/15/11 05:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks again for all the tips.

I have some more pictures and more questions! Please excuse these shots, for my phone camera is terrible. There are a few things that I'm concerned about so I tried to take some pictures, though they are rather hard to see due to the image quality.

An overhead shot. I'm not sure if you can see it, but the caps have a slight greenish color around the edges.

This picture came out horribly. There is a blueish color all around this cake, which might just be bruising. However, I never dunked it and it really has hardly been handled.

The mushroom in this picture has a grayish top. At first I thought it might be an abort, but it appears to still be growing, albeit slowly.

These are B+ strain if anyone is wondering.

I'll continue to keep misting and strive for more fresh air exchange. If anyone has any thoughts on the pictures above, please do share!

Thanks again :smile:

Edited by tje (11/15/11 05:49 PM)

Invisibleaw11driver
Male

Loc: land of blue foot
    #15375603 - 11/15/11 06:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

My B+ caked did the same thing. I waited like 5 days after 100% and they took a week or so to fruit. My house is 62*F lol I bet that has something to do withit it. Mine were also long and skinny I think the biggest one was 15 wet grams. I've learned my lesson, keep misting and fanning. I was bad about it doing it twice a day... good luck to ya and maybe the 2nd flush will turn out better. I've got a jar that's been sitting for a month as an experiment lol.

OfflineISOfantastic
Mad Scientist Wannabe
Male

Loc: Firmly planted in reality
Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: aw11driver]
    #15375659 - 11/15/11 06:57 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

More FAE is needed on those.
Fan that SGFC 6-8+ times a day.
MS inocs make cakes widely variable in it's behavior, not uncommon for one to be slow, esp in 60-70 degree rooms.
They look like normal babies that need more fresh air.

InvisibleStains Blue
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: ISOfantastic]
    #15376223 - 11/15/11 08:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I will say what everyone else said.

MORE AIR!!!

the evaporation process also kick starts fruiting. As well!

Offlinebeastmasterr
Stranger

#20128045 - 06/14/14 08:14 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

iv got three half pint jars filled with mycelium of hawaiian mushys if they are to fruit do they need manure and if they r to contaminate cant i still save them cuz i see
contamination

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: beastmasterr]
    #20128206 - 06/14/14 09:27 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I found a lot of mason jars a few months ago and did a cakes grow to make use of them.
Since I wasn't used to cakes I got all paranoid about funny colors on the mushies thinking the cakes got moldy but for the most part it was nothing. Someone told me if the stalks are yellowish and bruise it'll look greenish .

As for the other guy

They're brown rice jars? No if you are doing cakes the mushrooms grow off the cakes. No manure.
If you can see contaminated you probably ought toss them

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Offlinejustdoobit420
Stranger
Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: Stains Blue]
    #20578828 - 09/17/14 09:24 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Is fanning needed for a SGFC since the holes in the tub make for good air exchange?

Offlinemidnightmaraude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Dunk+Roll Cakes Fruiting Slowly [Re: justdoobit420]
    #20578940 - 09/17/14 10:00 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I would say yes.

When I had my sgfc I fanned after I misted a few times a day.

That's why I went to mono tubs.  It was a lot of work and attention needed.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix