Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSafeHaven

How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes?
    #1535821 - 05/09/03 09:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Figured would place this in this forum as it doesnt seem advanced. 

How do other "people" pressure cook there Petri Dishes without getting them destroyed by the water in the PC?  Do you place them on top of something or what?  What are some of your methods?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  :grin: 

--------------------
As I sit here I ponder greater things.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Loc: NC, USA
Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: SafeHaven]
    #1535878 - 05/09/03 09:41 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

A lot of people use disposable plastic dishes. These generally come in a sleeve of 20 and are already sterile, until opened. I am not sure if anyone re-uses these. Glass petri dishes won't be harmed by water or a pressure cooker.

OfflineSafeHaven

Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: MycoFactory]
    #1536147 - 05/10/03 12:04 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry if I didnt explain it enough when I asked about the Petri Dishes. When you PC anything you put water in the PC, How do you place the dishes in the PC, on top of something? So the water doesnt envelope the dishes? or what?

My understanding is that you can reuse these plastic dishes.

--------------------

Edited by SafeHaven (05/10/03 12:06 AM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #1536328 - 05/10/03 02:01 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

some you can...polystyrene you can't....you need polypropylene or polymethelpentene....PP or PMP....they actualy cost more than glass and do degrade after a bit of use....PMP is Lexan, a polycarbonate plastic, used in bullet resistant glass and windscreens for racecars, PMP is as clear as glass. avg price $63
PP is HDPE, used in milk cartons, various cleaner and solvent bolttles....it's opaque and somewhat cloudy....even on the 'clear' one...if they are fairly clear to begin with, they cloud after several sterilizations.....avg price $56

Borosilicate Glass is capable of withstanding extreme temps, resistant to thermal shock and makes for a wonderful petri...avg price $50

Polystyrene is gamma iradiated to sterilize, the most common material for petris and is not recomended for any resterilization proscess involving heat, microwave included....it can take temps of 140f before it softens.... PS petris are cheap...@$4 per sleeve....
I have 5 cases currently.....sleeves of 20 and 25....Borosilicate 100x15 and 150x15 are great...the big ones are expensive as hell......2 cases of each....PMP is way to costly but I may be picking up a couple cases soon...I think I found a reasonable supplier....

Soda Lime petris are another option but they have no shock resistance...it same as plate glass....get it hot and cool it too fast it breaks....they run about half the price of borosilicate....if you payed less than $20 for plastic, you have polystyrene if you payed less than $6 for 20, you found an average price.....low is around $4.50 cheap as dirt is around $3.....

P#1

no plug...if you need more info on plastics or glass materials, pm me...

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1536344 - 05/10/03 02:12 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

This is how I pressure cook my glass and polypropylene petri dishes.

I stick 4 wide mouth 1/2 pint jars upside down on top of the divet in my pressure cooker.
Then stack the petri dishes on top of the 1/2 pint jars.
:smile:

hope that helped.

good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: Roadkill]
    #1536357 - 05/10/03 02:27 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ever used wide mouth 1/2 pint jars as petri dishes?

I'm about to experiment with that. I'll probably put a piece of tyvec over a hole for it to breathe.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

β€œNothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1536366 - 05/10/03 02:39 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

nope never have bro.

you can use them though.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1536469 - 05/10/03 04:41 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Some of the sandwich size "GladWare" disposable microwave snap top containers work. Check them out, next trip to the grocery store. My foaf just swabs them out with alc (in aseptic conditions), rather than PC. They are rather large, but that is good for making numerious transfers.
6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: SixTango]
    #1536472 - 05/10/03 04:48 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I've got some great big quart sized ones that I was trying to grow out some wood spawn in.

I have some disposable plastic petris I thought I might try to reuse by washing them out and wiping them down with alcohol. I wonder if they can be UV sterilized.

I use only peroxidated agar BTW, or I'd never think of trying something like that.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

β€œNothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1536633 - 05/10/03 08:08 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I wrap the clean, dry glass petri dishes in aluminum foil, 10 in a stack, and pressure cook them in the pressure cooker on a rack for 30 minutes, 60 minutes if I experienced bacterial contamination.

OfflineSafeHaven

Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: Anno]
    #1536901 - 05/10/03 11:53 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for all the info people, I just found out my Pet rocks friend is receiving the sterile 20 pack plastic throw away dishes. Was hoping for the reusable kind.
Found this great site to get alot of this stuff and agar and antibiotics and lots of other supplies. web page A sleeve of plastic dishes cost me like 4.50 something like that and you can buy agar for .40 a gram.

Do have another question though, do most of you who use the throw away dishes use some type of flow hood? So contaminates dont get into the dishes after you pour the agar into it, since I cant cook the dishes in PC now?

--------------------

Invisiblecalicyco
    #1536991 - 05/10/03 12:49 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Using a hood is great for opening and working with the dishes. For incubation just wrap them in plastic wrap or parafilm. You can get parafilm at hobby stores, its used in making stencils for painting small models. It stretches and clings real nice. After wrapping store them in a clean tupperware box or something. Only open and close this box in front of a hood or in a glove box.

InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Loc: NC, USA
    #1537079 - 05/10/03 01:45 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Do have another question though, do most of you who use the throw away dishes use some type of flow hood? So contaminates dont get into the dishes after you pour the agar into it, since I cant cook the dishes in PC now?

Some people do. check here

Offline5DallaShake
Stranger
Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #28398326 - 07/17/23 05:39 AM (7 months, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
some you can...polystyrene you can't....you need polypropylene or polymethelpentene....PP or PMP....they actualy cost more than glass and do degrade after a bit of use....PMP is Lexan, a polycarbonate plastic, used in bullet resistant glass and windscreens for racecars, PMP is as clear as glass. avg price $63
PP is HDPE, used in milk cartons, various cleaner and solvent bolttles....it's opaque and somewhat cloudy....even on the 'clear' one...if they are fairly clear to begin with, they cloud after several sterilizations.....avg price $56

Borosilicate Glass is capable of withstanding extreme temps, resistant to thermal shock and makes for a wonderful petri...avg price $50

Polystyrene is gamma iradiated to sterilize, the most common material for petris and is not recomended for any resterilization proscess involving heat, microwave included....it can take temps of 140f before it softens.... PS petris are cheap...@$4 per sleeve....
I have 5 cases currently.....sleeves of 20 and 25....Borosilicate 100x15 and 150x15 are great...the big ones are expensive as hell......2 cases of each....PMP is way to costly but I may be picking up a couple cases soon...I think I found a reasonable supplier....

Soda Lime petris are another option but they have no shock resistance...it same as plate glass....get it hot and cool it too fast it breaks....they run about half the price of borosilicate....if you payed less than $20 for plastic, you have polystyrene if you payed less than $6 for 20, you found an average price.....low is around $4.50  cheap as dirt is around $3.....

P#1

no plug...if you need more info on plastics or glass materials, pm me... 

I just melted my first batch of cheap plastic dishes. I noticed them warping when I poured my agar. But they collapsed in the steam bath. I'll be ordering pyrex dishes now.

Offline5DallaShake
Stranger
Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: 5DallaShake]
    #28398327 - 07/17/23 05:40 AM (7 months, 28 days ago)

Where's a good source for affordable pyrex?

OfflineThrowaway
The wizard
 User Gallery

Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: 5DallaShake] * 2
    #28398328 - 07/17/23 05:43 AM (7 months, 28 days ago)

20 year old thread

:chefskiss:

But to answer your question I use these personally: https://www.heliosholland.com/Petrischaal-90mm

Link how I use them is in my signature

Edited by Throwaway (07/17/23 05:43 AM)

OfflineScrewup
Googles your dumb questions
Trans-female

Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: Throwaway]
    #28398329 - 07/17/23 05:44 AM (7 months, 28 days ago)

Y’all know you can type β€œyour question Shroomery 2020” into google and find Shit not from two decades ago?

--------------------
πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό    πŸ„² πŸ„» πŸ„Έ πŸ„½ πŸ„Ά πŸ…† πŸ… πŸ„° πŸ„Ώ

Help US help YOU TEK

2023 Dehydrator TEK

Edited by Screwup (07/17/23 07:51 AM)

Offline5DallaShake
Stranger
Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: Throwaway]
    #28398397 - 07/17/23 07:48 AM (7 months, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Throwaway said:
20 year old thread

:chefskiss:

But to answer your question I use these personally: https://www.heliosholland.com/Petrischaal-90mm

Link how I use them is in my signature

Thank you! I'm still learning navigating the site.

Offline5DallaShake
Stranger
Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: 5DallaShake] * 1
    #28398398 - 07/17/23 07:48 AM (7 months, 28 days ago)

I'll remember that! Thanx!

Offlinevazap
Lychen
I'm a teapot

Re: How is the best way to pressure cook Petri Dishes? [Re: Screwup]
    #28576394 - 12/09/23 09:07 PM (3 months, 6 days ago)

Really good to know, thanks!!!

--------------------

Reaching for the summit, one way or another :leaving:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates