Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleYoung_but_cool
Stranger
Male

Loc: Old Europe
Kava and the greedy western capitalists
    #1528440 - 05/07/03 06:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

This article is a month old, but I haven't seen it mentioned here so I thought I'd post it. The findings in the article may very well explain the kava mystery, that westeners all of a sudden suffers liver problems from kava extracts while the island people been drinking much larger amounts with out any hepatoxic symptoms. The Australian aboriginals have also been known to have an extreme kava consumption, combining it with alcohol as well, but does not show much liver problems. It seems like , mostly the European, pharmaceutical companies bought the cheap peelings from the stem bark of kava plants, which are rejected by the islanders, instead of the roots. The parts above the ground have now been shown to hold a substance very likely to be hepatoxic, not found in the traditionally used root.

The Honolulu Advertiser

Edited by Young_but_cool (05/07/03 06:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Kava and the greedy western capitalists [Re: Young_but_cool]
    #1528498 - 05/07/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting..

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Kava and the greedy western capitalists [Re: neuro]
    #1528710 - 05/07/03 07:45 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hehe, thats perfect. I always thought the root was ok but not anything else but I never had a reason. Now I do :smile:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Kava and the greedy western capitalists [Re: Young_but_cool]
    #1529564 - 05/08/03 12:25 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

How do you know it was the greedy westerners? Maybe the greedy natives are partly to blame as well.  :smirk:

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleYoung_but_cool
Stranger
Male

Loc: Old Europe
Re: Kava and the greedy western capitalists [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1530072 - 05/08/03 05:31 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, the natives supplied these companies with their cheap waste products, so you're right about that. I just thought it would make a nice catchy title. But the fact remains that the pharmaceutical industry bought material which traditionally is discarded, without doing sufficiant testing, thus putting a lot of people at risk. The safety of a refined pharmaceutical product must be the industry's responsibility, not some semi poor Fijian kava farmers, who have taken the hardest hit from all this. And they will continue to do so if not indefinatly, so for a very, very long time ahead. "The greedy westerners" will move along to find a new plant to exploit, I hope they learned a lesson from all this.

Edited by Young_but_cool (05/08/03 06:25 AM)

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: Kava and the greedy western capitalists [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1533865 - 05/09/03 06:01 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Baby Hitler, at first I thought your nick was funny, but after seeing your signature pic I am not sure anymore that you're kidding. Are you pro-nazi or it's sarcastic? That signature pic is offensive dude. I thought maybe that punchline written at the bottom of the pic would be against the nazis, but it just says that the swaztika will bring you luck, wtf?!?

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: Kava and the greedy western capitalists [Re: megaman3]
    #1534405 - 05/09/03 11:25 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, if you've got a problem with him and that please take it up with him in a pm:

and now to steer this thread a ltitle more off topic

Quote:

Archeologists have found the symbol on many artifacts, like pottery and coins, dating from the time of ancient Troy. As time marched on tire symbol spread throughout the world and could be found in many cultures, including in China, Japan, India, and southern Europe.

By the Middle Ages it was widely recognized, if not widely used, and known by many different names. In China it was a wan for example, and in Greece a gammadion. Some scholars even say it was used as an early symbol of Christianity. It?s cool though. because until Hitler saw fit to use the swastika for his own purposes it had a completely different meaning.
The word ?swatstika? comes from the Sanskrit svastika - ?su? meaning ?good,?asti? meaning ?to be,? and ?ka? as a suffix. That?s right; until the Nazi party effectively redefined it, the swastika was generally a symbol of life, power, strength, and good luck.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
    #1534854 - 05/09/03 02:11 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, thats some interesting history there...

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: Kava and the greedy western capitalists [Re: DailyPot]
    #1535256 - 05/09/03 04:30 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

/me didn't sleep through religions of the eastern world...

NOW BACK ON TOPIC.

Speculation: is the part of the kava that's sold in stores the rejected parts, a mix of the rejected parts, or free of rejected parts?

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
    #1538829 - 05/11/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Friend of the Swastika - recommended. Sorry for off-topic - just had to include that :smile:

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: Kava and the greedy western capitalists [Re: iglou]
    #1541529 - 05/12/03 11:25 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

the "natives" aren't semi poor, they're really fucking poor. just thought I'd let you know.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale