Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Loc: 'burbs of philly
ID of non-active species please.
    #1527725 - 05/07/03 01:36 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I found this mushroom in a flowerbed in south eastern PA, the temp around here is about 70F-80F. It rained a couple days ago, so I would guess that's why it just popped up. It was growing in a group of about 10-15 other mushrooms, all about 2"-3" high. It does not bruise blue, it's cap is about 1.5" around, and I am taking a spore print at the moment. Thanks guys.

--------------------
"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale." -William Clinton.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID of non-active species please. [Re: Dank420]
    #1528023 - 05/07/03 03:28 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Good photographs. They're in focus and include details like the rhizomorphs on the base of the stem. You also got the good angles so we can see the overall shape of the mushroom.

Along with the spore print could you cut it in half vertically and (hopefully) show us a photo of that? When you cut it in half, take one half and scrape the inside with your knife edge to bruise it and leave the other half alone. The photo would then hopefully show the 2 halves so we could see gill attachment and the difference between the bruised and unbruised specimen.

Another thing that might be useful would be checking for any odor. Does this mushroom smell like anything?

Finally, what kinds of trees were nearby? If you don't know, then at least tell us whether they were pine or not.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Re: ID of non-active species please. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1528672 - 05/07/03 07:37 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, thanks a lot for the compliments, these are actually the first photographs of mushrooms I have ever taken. Tomorrow, I will take the pictures you requested along with the information you requested, post it all, and a picure of a spore print. Thanks again. Also, how long should I wait for it to bruise untill I take a picture?

--------------------

Edited by Dank420 (05/07/03 07:47 PM)

OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

#1528841 - 05/07/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Actually Toxicman, I have everything you requested right here:

About 5 yards away, there is a weaping cherry tree, and about 10 yards away, there is a very large spruce. I guess the fact that it bruised to a golden brown, and had an almost light brown spore print removes any and all chances that it could be active, huh? Also, the smell is of a very faint mushroomy smell.

PS: Disregard the blueness behind the sporeprint, it's writing on the back of that index card that became visible after the spore print was taken.

--------------------

Edited by Dank420 (05/07/03 08:26 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1528842 - 05/07/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Bruising will occur within one hour. Usually it's faster than that, but one hour is the limit Alexander Smith quotes in his book.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

#1528876 - 05/07/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well, it seemed to change to that color fairly quickly, could it be because that side is thinner then the other, and it does not fully show the center of the stem?

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1529510 - 05/08/03 12:06 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Did the young buttons have a partial veil (a sheet of tissue covering the gills)?

I can't see if there's any cracking of the surface of the cap. Is it splitting sort of like mud when it dries?

My suspicion is that they are Agrocybe praecox, a common spring mushroom in mulched areas. They normally show some signs of a partial veil (like a ring or bits hanging from the edge of the cap). Also, the cap often cracks.

Please check for those things and let us know.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale