Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Growth of edible and medicinal mushrooms on commercial agar
    #1526919 - 05/07/03 07:25 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

From: Science and Cultivation of Edible Fungi, Volume 2, 2000

ABSTRACT: The growth of 30 cultures of edible and medicinal mushrooms was tested at 27?C on commercial malt extract agar (MEA, pH 4.7), potato dextrose agar (PDA, pH 5.8), wort agar (WA, pH 4.7), yeast malt extract agar (YMA, pH 6.2) media, their pH modifications and experimental agar medium GPPA (pH 6.0). Among nutrient agar media used in these experiments, commercial MEA medium provides maximal growth rate only of Ganoderma lucidum and PDA only ofAgaricus maskae, WA-3 and YMA-5 cultures of mushrooms. GPPA provides the maximal growth rate of 15 investigated cultures of Basidiomycetes from various ecological groups. This nutrient agar medium is available for comparative or screening investigations with new species and strains.

http://www.fungifun.org/docs/Growth_of_edible_and_medicinal_mushrooms_on_commercial_agar_media.pdf

This is interesting stuff, becuase it shows major differences in the speed of growth depending on the species and medium. Time to think beyond PDA and MEA.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Growth of edible and medicinal mushrooms on commercial agar [Re: Anno]
    #1526965 - 05/07/03 08:06 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I noticed faster growth of Psilocybe subaeruginosa on pda+p with 5 grams
of millet seed boiled with the potatoes,than the pda+p without millet.

I'm also thinking of trying to boil some hardwood(hazel) sawdust in the next
lot, as its the medium im mainly using for spawn.

Good artical there cheers.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Growth of edible and medicinal mushrooms on commercial agar [Re: Paid]
    #1529766 - 05/08/03 01:55 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Someone brought a valid response, as to why would one be interested that the growth on agar is fast.

Well, this is a good point. But, I think that this document clearly shows how minor changes in the substrate composition can have a big impact on the speed of growth.
So it you transfer these findings to the end substrate you can see that there can be major differences among different substrates, even between similar substrate compositions.

"Not all grains are created equal" :wink:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #1529792 - 05/08/03 02:14 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'm getting ready to do a test similar, several different grains, each individualy, millet, rye, buckwheat, wheat and oat groats to name a few but now it makes me rethink this one and reconsider it with modifiers.... 50lbs of oats and a little dextrose.....wanna send me a bottle of beer....

OfflineFunger
MutantApendanges

Loc: State of insanity
Re: Growth of edible and medicinal mushrooms on commercial agar [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #1531403 - 05/08/03 03:41 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

don't forget popcorn!

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1531596 - 05/08/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Too bad they didn't include DFA...I would have liked to know how it compared. I suppose DFA is not commercially available.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlineanotherdirtywop
shmuck

Re: Growth of edible and medicinal mushrooms on commercial agar [Re: Joshua]
    #1534228 - 05/09/03 09:59 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I think that which media a species prefers can have a little to do with what the culture has been exposed to since the spores were germinated. Am I mistaken, or can the enzymes of a mushroom sort of evolve to prefer certain "foods", depending on what it has been fed. I have heard many people recommend switching agar medias as you transfer in order to make for a more well-rounded fungus. I wonder if two cultures were started from spore....one given solely MEA, and one solely PDA........if those cultures would still prefer that experimental agar media, or if, for example, the PDA culture would be capable of growing well on malt?

Offlineshantelleyu
Stranger
Re: Growth of edible and medicinal mushrooms on commercial agar [Re: Funger]
    #15623193 - 01/05/12 11:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ha ha

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags