Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerepoman
Stranger
Loc: sometimes not really here
1st time. growing using oatmeal and chopped up cardboard HELP!!!!
    #15265313 - 10/23/11 08:38 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

wanted to try something a little different than the teks that i've been reading about on different forums.  i know oatmeal (quaker) non sweetened is full of nutrients and cardboard is used for airation.  i am a newbie so i don't know how to tell if they're growing but it looks like there is some white moldy looking stuff at the inoculation sites and since i saw some of the spore/water mix go all the way down to the bottom, the bottom of the glasses are getting that white moldy (mycellium?) on the bottom of the glasses.  could this be a good way to grow them then?  it's only been 3 days since i sterilized and inoculated, so i dont know if it's working.  i used an almost complete sterile environment.  bleached my countertops and also soaked my cups in bleach water then wiped them off with alcohol swabs and let them completely dry.  any help would be greatly appreciated. 

and if i sound stupid, don't be mean, i've never grown mushrooms before.   

and p.s.  they are cubensis spores ordered offline already in the syringe.

--------------------
mycology student and researcher for alternative medicine at black river university.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohnnyjae
The guy....
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st time. growing using oatmeal and chopped up cardboard HELP!!!! [Re: repoman]
    #15265396 - 10/23/11 09:13 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

heh.... you should have started with the true and tried teks if this is your first growing however white stuff may be mycelium but hard to say without pics. Psilocybin mushrooms grow on a wide variety of substrates provided the conditions are right, I think your mix might be good as a spawn but believe it wont be enough nutrients to fruit well. Check out damion coir tek it easy and doesn't cost alot. Wish you best of luck. Write moke about your tek. When did you inoculate, ratio of oatmeal/cardboard, size of jars ect...

Offlinerepoman
Stranger
Re: 1st time. growing using oatmeal and chopped up cardboard HELP!!!! [Re: repoman]
    #15267922 - 10/23/11 08:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i used a 1 pint drinking glass.  about one third cardboard cut up into tiny centimeter squares and the rest oatmeal.  i watered it down so that it is moist and had a little water still at the bottom.  then i put a half inch layer of dry oatmeal on top.  i sterilized for an hour in a pressure cooker then waited for it to cool to room temp to inoculate.  about 2 hours after sterilization.  it's been about 3 days.  i'll take some pics tomorrow. 

i know i should have kept to the standard tek but i had the syringe and no extra cash to get the verm and brown rice flower.  and i saw mushrooms grow on basically any substance that was once a plant, so i figured cardboard *for airation, and since it was once wood, and oatmeal (for nutrition) would work. 

any advice would be great.    thank you for the reply by the way.  this is a new and exciting hobby.

--------------------
mycology student and researcher for alternative medicine at black river university.

Offlinedontkillthedj
lurker
Male

Loc: no-mans-land, US
    #15268511 - 10/23/11 10:08 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
You mess with the shark young man, you get the shark!

Offlinerepoman
Stranger

Re: 1st time. growing using oatmeal and chopped up cardboard HELP!!!! [Re: dontkillthedj]
    #15268580 - 10/23/11 10:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

16?  what's that mean?

--------------------

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
    #15269452 - 10/24/11 03:29 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

repoman said:
16?  what's that mean?

Maybe how many years you have been alive? I love threads like this "I purposely didn't follow a tek help!"

Offlineurbanguru
Male User Gallery

Loc: the swamp
Re: 1st time. growing using oatmeal and chopped up cardboard HELP!!!! [Re: The Influence]
    #15269557 - 10/24/11 04:41 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

There is no help to give you other than just wait and see. If it fruits it will be a miracle but stranger things have happenend. Good luck

InvisibleOnePerEyeM8
Rhythmysticist
 User Gallery

Loc: Westeros
Re: 1st time. growing using oatmeal and chopped up cardboard HELP!!!! [Re: urbanguru]
    #15269587 - 10/24/11 04:59 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

and if i sound stupid, don't be mean, i've never grown mushrooms before.

You don't sound stupid, you sound uninformed.

Since you're trying to grow mushrooms I assume you actually do want to grow mushrooms. So why not follow real directions, at least your first time? It really is very simple :thumbup:
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek
That should be your bible for your first grow. It will not steer you wrong.

And if you're strapped for cash, my recommendation would have been to have patience until you could afford a little verm and BRF (or better yet, rice bran), and use the PFTek, rather than risk wasting your spore syringe and having to spend even more cash for a new one if your idea doesn't work :frown:

Of course the time for that has passed so I wish you the best of luck and I'm excited to see pictures :thumbup:

Quote:

and p.s.  they are cubensis spores ordered offline already in the syringe.

That's neat that you don't get your spores from the internet! Hehe just kidding :smile:

Offlinerepoman
Stranger

Re: 1st time. growing using oatmeal and chopped up cardboard HELP!!!! [Re: OnePerEyeM8]
    #15277852 - 10/25/11 06:48 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

heck yeah i really want to grow them.  and yeah, i did order them online, it was a typo.  i know i should have checked up on a tek but i was impatient.  i did get 2 syringes, so if nothing happens out of the first one, i'll try the tek with the verm and brown rice flower. 

i did try one more out of this syringe though.  i tried more grains, this time, whole oats, rinsed and soaked them.  and then used some stuff used  for pet bedding.  not wood chips, but more of like stringy stuff.  i also sterilized in a pressure cooker for an hour then let it cool before innoculating.  this time, i used less spores on it though.  i haven't noticed anything except some gooey watery starchy stuff on the bottom.  so i probably didnt rinse it enough. 

i had to throw one "jar" away.  i got some pinkish mold on it.  good thing i have each jar on a different spot.  so hopefully it didn't spread.

i'm going to just order a noob grow kit.  might buy one in a store.  i saw one in a head shop we have here in detroit. 

thanks everyone for the advice.

--------------------

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

#15278241 - 10/25/11 08:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Dude take the time to study up and do it right. It really isn't that hard nor does it take that long to do the PF tek with BRF cakes and do it right :shrug:

InvisibleOnePerEyeM8
Rhythmysticist
 User Gallery

#15278371 - 10/25/11 08:29 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

repoman said:
...i did get 2 syringes, so if nothing happens out of the first one, i'll try the tek with the verm and brown rice flower... 

Ah cool, glad you still have a syringe left. That tek you mentioned is called the PF Tek by the way. It's the rigth way to go without a doubt. :thumbup:

Quote:

repoman said:
...i also sterilized in a pressure cooker for an hour then let it cool before innoculating...

Pressure cooker, nice.

Quote:

repoman said:
...good thing i have each jar on a different spot.  so hopefully it didn't spread....

Contaminants in jars usually don't spread as long as you have a dry vermiculite layer.

Quote:

repoman said:
...i'm going to just order a noob grow kit...

Please don't. :facepalm3:
I'm not saying there isn't a deal out there somewhere, but from every instance I've seen, getting a noob grow kit is voluntarily letting yourself be ripped off, badly.

Check this out:

Quote:

• Tub for glove box: $5
  • Tub for shotgun terrarium: $8
  • 20oz. of Rice bran (instead of brown rice flour): $5
  • Fine grade vermiculite: $8 for four cubic feet (478.75 cups = enough to do 956 half pint jars)
  • 1 gallon of perlite: $6
  • 6500k lightbulb: $5
  • Digital Thermometer/hygrometer: $10
  • Foil: $2
  • Water: Free. (Unless you're in like Mexico or some shit maybe)

=$49

That list is on the high side even. You could get every ingredient there for cheaper minus water. And that's everything you need to grow ounces of mushrooms, forever and ever if you were to use 2cc's of your syringe to make a liquid culture.

Then all you would ever have to buy to grow more mushrooms is more rice bran. Which is cheap as heck. A 40 pound bag, which is enough to do 720 jars, is only about $17.

Nobody likes grow kits. Just use the search function, you'll see what I mean. I'd hate for you to waste more money.

The PF Tek IS the shortcut for growing mushrooms.

Edited by OnePerEyeM8 (10/25/11 08:32 PM)

Offlinerepoman
Stranger

Re: 1st time. growing using oatmeal and chopped up cardboard HELP!!!! [Re: OnePerEyeM8]
    #15278430 - 10/25/11 08:38 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

great!  thanks guys for the info. 

and yes, i'll be studying up alot.  and i wont get a kit.  i'm pretty sure i can find all of that stuff at a walmart.  probably best to not buy it all at once.  it would look pretty weird buying all of that. 

i'm usually up all night studying it.  quick question.

i have noticed some very white fluffy "liquid" at the bottom of one of the jars.  i can't notice any smells besides that of cooked oatmeal.  is it bad?  i don't have a picture to send so any kind of diagnosis would be cool.

i'm thinking it's just some starch that ran off the grain.  so i'm wondering if it's bad.  i would like to keep the first batch if it goes well to write about this almost stupid tek.

--------------------

InvisibleOnePerEyeM8
Rhythmysticist
 User Gallery

#15278552 - 10/25/11 09:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

That's more like it :cheers:

You can get everything at Walmart except for maybe the rice bran, perlite, and vermiculite.

Any gardening store should definitely have perlite and vermiculite (you want "fine grade" vermiculite), and if you don't have a gardening store around, you could try a pet store for vermiculite at least. Verm can be used for bedding in lizard tanks. Not sure about perlite. You can always order it online though. Ebay has some decent deals.

Also just so this isn't confusing for you: Rice bran can be used interchangeably with brown rice flour. The benefit to rice bran is that it is slightly more nutritious and usually a bit cheaper. However, depending on where you live rice bran can be harder to find than brown rice flour. Brown rice flour can be found at some grocery stores, while rice bran is used as horsey food and can be found at farming supplies stores. I got my 40 pound bag at Tractor Supply Co. for $17. Should last me quite a while :wink:.

Quote:

probably best to not buy it all at once.  it would look pretty weird buying all of that. 

Haha you'll be fine. As long as you aren't buying guns, knives, or large amounts of meth ingredients, no one will pay you a second thought.

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

#15279019 - 10/25/11 10:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

OP if you have that much liquid in your jars I would say your water content is waaaayyyyyyy off. Don't waste any more spores until you get the right stuff. Also I had a hardtime finding verm so if you have an ace hardware around they had the 1/2 pint widemouths, verm, and perlite. Also i am to tired to read through what Zebra said but he wont stear you wrong either.

Offlinerepoman
Stranger

Re: 1st time. growing using oatmeal and chopped up cardboard HELP!!!! [Re: The Influence]
    #15285425 - 10/27/11 10:39 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

what exactly does the verm do?  is it some sort of nutrient?  or just a medium for the moisture and gas exchange?

and i've also noticed mycellium growth in the new jar.

--------------------

InvisibleOnePerEyeM8
Rhythmysticist
 User Gallery

#15286097 - 10/27/11 01:14 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?terms=purpose+of+verm

You really oughtta start taking advantage of the search function. You'll get your answers much faster than waiting for someone to reply on your thread.

Grats on the myc :thumbup:

OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

#15286112 - 10/27/11 01:19 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I read the title and thought "No wonder why they need help..."

Here's a tip, start with PF Tek. Save and easy. But good luck! Sounds very interesting and I can already tell, a challenge for a newbie.

Offlinerepoman
Stranger

#15288853 - 10/27/11 10:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

just feels more formal in a "direct" conversation.  plus i'm new to this site.  so i really don't know my way around.  it's pretty big.

--------------------

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15289403 - 10/28/11 02:16 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Did you even have a filter on them? :biggrin:

--------------------

Offlinerepoman
Stranger

Re: 1st time. growing using oatmeal and chopped up cardboard HELP!!!! [Re: Kizzle] * 1
    #15291976 - 10/28/11 05:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

yes.  a dry layer of substrate on top

i just got my second syringe of b+ cubensis in the mail.  i'm going to actually use the pf tek. 

yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures