Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Loc: straya Flag
Try living before you make assumptions about life...
    #15247565 - 10/19/11 02:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Eh?

"Consciousness is just a chemical reaction, everything is predetermined, everything is meaningless, people are assholes, humanity is a shame, etc. etc."

Go out there and do something! Get with it! See what you can feel in a day, see if there's anything wrong with your life except what you're making yourself feel. Keep your worries and anxieties if you want, just at least give them a few days break...

At least be part of the "mess" before you analyse and criticise it.

Maybe you'll find there's nothing wrong 'out there' except what your mind makes of it.

You might find what you're looking for is what you already have.

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”
― Joseph Campbell

Abandon all hope, because you won't need it here.

“If you can see your path laid out in front of you step by step, you know it's not your path. Your own path you make with every step you take. That's why it's your path.”
― Joseph Campbell

“The first step to the knowledge of the wonder and mystery of life is the recognition of the monstrous nature of the earthly human realm as well as its glory, the realization that this is just how it is and that it cannot and will not be changed. Those who think they know how the universe could have been had they created it, without pain, without sorrow, without time, without death, are unfit for illumination.”
― Joseph Campbell

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleComcouveflor
 User Gallery

Re: Try living before you make assumptions about life... [Re: circastes]
    #15247630 - 10/19/11 02:24 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with the title! And laugh - LAUGH! =d

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Try living before you make assumptions about life... [Re: Comcouveflor]
    #15247712 - 10/19/11 02:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

sure. but how long does that last? =\

Invisiblethe human abstract
malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

Re: Try living before you make assumptions about life... [Re: akira_akuma]
    #15247747 - 10/19/11 02:50 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

becoming old where I am is just believing less and less in the paranormal

Abhina is something you should look into

seeing the world without mental constructs is the main goal

--------------------
★★

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #15247905 - 10/19/11 03:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Try living before you make assumptions about life.

Have and all I can say is what a mess. :lol:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleWhite Beard

#15247946 - 10/19/11 03:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm too stoned to read that right now but all I have to say is the more I try and live life the more suffering exists. When I try and manipulate things to my will, the more I get burned.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Try living before you make assumptions about life... [Re: White Beard]
    #15247964 - 10/19/11 03:40 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Life is suffering sez the buddha.

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Try living before you make assumptions about life... [Re: Icelander]
    #15247983 - 10/19/11 03:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

because nothing is perfect.

Offlinecrumblebum
The Guy Who's Really Bad At Sex

#15248563 - 10/19/11 06:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

How would anything else be possible? Nonliving entities, if we can concede this point, are not aware of anything, and so cannot make assumptions about life.

Therefore, only living things, things that have and persist in being alive, are capable of making assumptions about life. So the sentiment is aimed at no one.

UNLESS...

You're using an alternate definition of "living", which I have to assume. Further, given the little pile of inspirational quotes and life advice, you refer to a specific lifestyle. Probably the one you like.

So that more or less breaks the sentiment down to:

"Have similar or identical life experiences to me so that you will make the SAME assumptions about it as I do."

Well sorry, no dice. I've been living my own life, and having my own life experiences, and I've enjoyed the hell out of it, and I've come to the assumptions/conclusions that consciousness is a chemical reaction, everything is predetermined, and humanity is a big pile of festering shit.

Fortunately for me, I love chemicals, I'll watch a movie even if I know that the next scene is already on the DVD, and I like wallowing in shit.

--------------------

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

#15250379 - 10/20/11 12:22 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

akira_akuma said:
sure. but how long does that last? =\

Not long. The brain doesn't dig repetition. You have to constantly reinvent... the challenge of life is it's only certainty.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

Invisiblehelix
Idealist Thinker Musician Lover
Male User Gallery

#15250466 - 10/20/11 12:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

be. here. now.

so much of what we do in forums like this do not contribute to being here now.

But I always thought that the ultimate purpose of what we're doing here is to enhance our enjoyment of the present once we finally get out of our heads and decide to be in the present...otherwise why bother?

It confounds me when people use their critical capacities to feel more hopeless and unhappy with the world then they would have without it. It strikes me as such a misuse of tools...or rather a failure to combine the experience of the tools with a proper integration of what you learn...if you aren't having better relationships, a stronger engagement with and contribution to your communities, your social circles, your species then yr doing it wrong

but just imo :shrug:

Edited by helix (10/20/11 12:57 AM)

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Try living before you make assumptions about life... [Re: helix]
    #15250541 - 10/20/11 01:13 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

And if you are not tripping with your cat on your synth...

Think I will go play my Ensoniq Fizmo.

--------------------

Offlinecrumblebum

#15250588 - 10/20/11 01:28 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

As an egotistical narcissist, I'd love to see the questions raised in my last post. So do it. I mean. If you want to. Whatever.  I don't care ya know becauseOH PLEASE TALK TO ME I'M SO LONELY

--------------------

Invisiblehelix
Male User Gallery

Re: Try living before you make assumptions about life... [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #15250592 - 10/20/11 01:29 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
And if you are not tripping with your cat on your synth...

Think I will go play my Ensoniq Fizmo.

nope, but my cat is tripping on my synth

Invisiblehelix
Male User Gallery

Re: Try living before you make assumptions about life... [Re: crumblebum]
    #15250620 - 10/20/11 01:43 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

crumblebum said:
As an egotistical narcissist, I'd love to see the questions raised in my last post. So do it. I mean. If you want to. Whatever.  I don't care ya know becauseOH PLEASE TALK TO ME I'M SO LONELY

LOL :toast:

I use to wallow in my shit and enjoy life anyway. But eventually i wanted to kill myself once I realized I also didn't have a single worthwhile relationship, no job, skipping class constantly, etc.
Some people have tools and can afford to be a shit-wallower and still get all their needs met.
But i was a shit-wallower AND didn't have any charisma, wit, communication skills, motivation, interest in anything other than video games, generosity, empathy...:crymeariver:
So I learned that shit-wallowing wasn't worth it, because developing all those aforementioned things required me to have hope
Now i'm idealistic most of the time and can't help it :raveface:

so a dose of nihilism here and there may always be necessary to keep me on my toes :popcorn:

Offlinecrumblebum

#15250916 - 10/20/11 05:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You misunderstand. Step one is to realize that the world is made of shit. Step two is to try and understand that from the perspective of the macrocosm, filth and flowers are identical. Beauty is shit and shit is beauty. So, to view the world properly, to experience it properly, one must first acknowledge that the universe is a meaningless void full of shit, fire, death, and overdraft charges on your debt card when you buy DLC for Bethesda games and forget that you are broke as fuck.

This, in addition to the pleasant things in life, is a big wet pile of shit. To achieve the near enlightenment that I've set myself to, I must come to a state where I feel the same sense of wonder about the rotting, mutilated corpse of my mother is just as breathtakingly beautiful as a grove of sakura cherry trees in full blossom. I don't think I have to state that I am many decades away from that enlightenment if it should even be achieved during my lifetime.

It's pretty succinctly described in a single hindu syllogism. held by only a handful of sects:

God is the sum of all things that exist;
God is perfect;
the sum of all things that exist are perfect.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#15250957 - 10/20/11 06:14 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well sorry, no dice. I've been living my own life, and having my own life experiences, and I've enjoyed the hell out of it, and I've come to the assumptions/conclusions that consciousness is a chemical reaction, everything is predetermined, and humanity is a big pile of festering shit.

Fortunately for me, I love chemicals, I'll watch a movie even if I know that the next scene is already on the DVD, and I like wallowing in shit.

See, this is why I'm always glad when you show up and post here.  It's not such an emotional wasteland when you find a couple of people you deem awake. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblehelix
Male User Gallery

#15252651 - 10/20/11 03:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

crumblebum said:
You misunderstand. Step one is to realize that the world is made of shit. Step two is to try and understand that from the perspective of the macrocosm, filth and flowers are identical. Beauty is shit and shit is beauty. So, to view the world properly, to experience it properly, one must first acknowledge that the universe is a meaningless void full of shit, fire, death, and overdraft charges on your debt card when you buy DLC for Bethesda games and forget that you are broke as fuck.

This, in addition to the pleasant things in life, is a big wet pile of shit. To achieve the near enlightenment that I've set myself to, I must come to a state where I feel the same sense of wonder about the rotting, mutilated corpse of my mother is just as breathtakingly beautiful as a grove of sakura cherry trees in full blossom. I don't think I have to state that I am many decades away from that enlightenment if it should even be achieved during my lifetime.

It's pretty succinctly described in a single hindu syllogism. held by only a handful of sects:

God is the sum of all things that exist;
God is perfect;
the sum of all things that exist are perfect.

I totally agree with this. You gotta take the good with the bad. That duality in and of itself is just a human construct anyway; everything is just one thing that our brains break into parts. that syllogism speaks the truth.

But there's uses that this talent of the brain could be used for - to ultimately make mankind's time on here less destructive, more conscious and longer-lasting. Self-development, bettering communities, strengthening human relationships, making decisions and supporting causes that strive to integrate what can be learned from the understanding you speak of into preventing some of the physical, structural obstacles that are breeding dysfunction and making it all the more harder for other individuals to understand it themselves, as if it's not difficult enough to grasp as it is already.

This pursuit requires establishing that option a) leads to more overall happiness than option b) and thus requires a distinction between bad and good and how close given options lean towards one rather than the other. And to pursue the latter rather than the former requires the faith/hope that the latter can be achieved, which is why I don't think the shit-wallowing should be an endpoint, not that it's not an important thing to aknowledge always as an efficient means of not letting the brain or ego get carried away running the show, which frequently leads to compromising the goals that I proposed we use our brains for in the past paragraph.

Of course, you mentioned the shit-wallowing is just step one, and step two is the point. But to do away with all conception of bad and good would lead to complete inactivity - the paradox of complete enlightenment is that it's functionally useless, if such a thing is even possible. Is that really anything more than self-serving, with how far away our species as a whole is from being completely enlightened? I'm assuming here that such a thing is possible, of course, which is my point. I'm able to assume it and want to use my energies to pursue it by having hope and imagination for a better future, not by being resigned to the complete perfection/shittyness of the present.

I think it ultimately has to be a balance, like everything  :yinyang:

Edited by helix (10/20/11 04:14 PM)

Offlinelolwut
bad motherfucker

Loc: back in black
    #15254447 - 10/20/11 09:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

crumblebum said:
UNLESS...

You're using an alternate definition of "living", which I have to assume. Further, given the little pile of inspirational quotes and life advice, you refer to a specific lifestyle. Probably the one you like.

So that more or less breaks the sentiment down to:

"Have similar or identical life experiences to me so that you will make the SAME assumptions about it as I do."

That's pretty much what I was going to say. If you're alive enough to read this thread, you're alive. I agree that you can block yourself from a lot of good experiences through assumptions, ideations, and "that's not me"-type behaviour, to me that seems like the ego overdoing it - it functions largely as a survival mechanism, being as stated seems to be a result of shields that are unnecessarily sensitive/high or tuned too tightly or something, likely due to neurotic tendencies/conditioning about certain things in life. I can't help but wonder what assumptions you made in writing this thread though. :tongue:

Sweet sig too.

--------------------
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth, and taste...

:haha:

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Try living before you make assumptions about life... [Re: lolwut]
    #15257187 - 10/21/11 02:24 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

One day I'll understand the pessimistic perspective and how it can enhance your life, as it seems to get espoused a lot on here. I'm not going to try too hard though. I feel I've got it right for me, in my time, in my living environment.

By the way crumblebum you sound a bit like Joseph Campbell. :smile:

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom