Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Laptops, Touchpads, and Inadvertent Zoom on Webpages
    #15224917 - 10/14/11 12:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I use Google Chrome (the latest version, of course) exclusively as my web browser on my laptop, which has become my de facto main computer (desktop is collecting dust).  However, I continually run into a problem that over time has become so annoying that I'm ready to switch browsers, assuming that I won't face this same problem in Firefox or (*shudders*) IE.

I still haven't figured out *exactly* how I end up doing this, but it seems that when I have one finger from my left hand in contact with the touchpad, and then a finger from my right hand touches the "scroll" portion at the extreme right of my touchpad, my webpages zoom either in or out - alarmingly.  Often a page will zoom up to 200% in milliseconds, or zoom down to 23% or so in the same amount of time.  I am getting very tired of having to click on the 'wrench' toolbar and reset my webpage zoom to 100%, back from 170% or 30% or whatever crazy value it has ended up at any given time.

I did some digging on Google but was unable to find any mention of a "zoom lock" that would prevent this from happening.  I'm using a Lenovo Ideapad that's only a few months old.  I also checked in the control panel, and was surprised to find the control panel is severely lacking in "mouse" (aka touchpad) settings.  I'd be willing to turn off the "scroll" feature entirely if that would do away with this very pesky problem, yet I can't even find an option to do that.

I do plug in a real mouse rather frequently and use it for a number of reasons, but for casual use of the computer the touchpad is rather essential.  That said, this problem is driving me crazy. 

Will switching to Firefox or (*chill runs down spine*) Internet Explorer eliminate this problem?  Yes, you heard correctly: it's gotten to the point of being so annoying that I'm even considering using IE.  Is there a way to fix this without having to change my browser?  I really like chrome, but this is ridiculous.

This is where I'd say "/rant", but in all likelihood there is plenty more ranting to come!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: Laptops, Touchpads, and Inadvertent Zoom on Webpages [Re: the spiral]
    #15225068 - 10/14/11 01:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I can't stand this bullshit. :crankdre:

I have an iPhone and an android tablet and they both have their zooming problems.

--------------------

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Laptops, Touchpads, and Inadvertent Zoom on Webpages [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #15225072 - 10/14/11 01:32 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:suicide: :roulette: :wow: :banghead: :hissyfit:  :willynilly:  :protest: 

Edited by the spiral (10/14/11 01:38 PM)

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #15225156 - 10/14/11 01:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Two things.

1) That happens if you hold CTRL and scroll - any browser.  It changes text size.

2) You can hit CTRL + 0 to go back to default size.

Invisiblehelix
Idealist Thinker Musician Lover
Male User Gallery

#15225164 - 10/14/11 01:53 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

the same thing happens to me all the time. I can't help because i don't know what's causing it either but i feel your pain bro  :oldman:

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Laptops, Touchpads, and Inadvertent Zoom on Webpages [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15225171 - 10/14/11 01:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Two things.

1) That happens if you hold CTRL and scroll - any browser.  It changes text size.

2) You can hit CTRL + 0 to go back to default size.

The CTRL + 0 trick seems like it might save me some time in the future - thanks for that.  Do you think that this problem isn't fixable?  I know I haven't been hitting the control key when this zooming occurs.  I'm rather astonished that there are not more touchpad options in the control panel.  Perhaps there's some proprietary Lenovo software I can shuffle through that may prove more helpful.  Of course if there is I'll post it.

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Laptops, Touchpads, and Inadvertent Zoom on Webpages [Re: the spiral] * 2
    #15225197 - 10/14/11 02:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Found it after quite a bit of digging.  There's a special "feature" called "Pinch Zoom" that's under "Mouse properties" -> "Device Settings" -> "Synaptics Touchpad Settings" then uncheck the "Pinch zoom" box.  "Pinch zoom" acts exactly the same way that Control + Scroll bar works - good catch on that!

Finally.  My fingers are crossed; I hope this actually solves the problem.  It's funny that my laptop was acting like my droid phone in terms of pinching, and that it was happily doing so on webpages rather than just images.  There might be a way to disable it on your iPhone and Android tablet, but as I don't own either I can't test this out.  Good luck!

Invisiblehelix
Idealist Thinker Musician Lover
Male User Gallery

#15238787 - 10/17/11 02:35 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

the spiral said:
Found it after quite a bit of digging.  There's a special "feature" called "Pinch Zoom" that's under "Mouse properties" -> "Device Settings" -> "Synaptics Touchpad Settings" then uncheck the "Pinch zoom" box.  "Pinch zoom" acts exactly the same way that Control + Scroll bar works - good catch on that!

Finally.  My fingers are crossed; I hope this actually solves the problem.  It's funny that my laptop was acting like my droid phone in terms of pinching, and that it was happily doing so on webpages rather than just images.  There might be a way to disable it on your iPhone and Android tablet, but as I don't own either I can't test this out.  Good luck!

:ooo:

that sounds promising. I can't quite find mouse properties though, where is that?

Edited by helix (10/17/11 02:37 PM)

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Laptops, Touchpads, and Inadvertent Zoom on Webpages [Re: helix] * 1
    #15245618 - 10/19/11 12:10 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

aronf13 said:
Quote:

the spiral said:

:ooo:

that sounds promising. I can't quite find mouse properties though, where is that?

Control panel -> Hardware -> Mouse -> Device settings tab -> settings

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom