Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Loc: The Carnival of Souls
I got questions you got answers
    #1521487 - 05/05/03 09:25 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Before anyone gets pissed, my rottweiler did already try the contam forum and read the FAQ.  My rottweiler has some PF jars (brf/verm, steam sterilized, lipa yai, nine days since inoculation, incubated at 75-80 degrees) that were recently exposed to a higher temp than they're used to (approx. 85 degrees).  Since that day a little condensation has appeared on the inside of a few of the jars and there has been some odd growth that looks like very large patches of what looks like light mycellium.  Over the last two days the patches have gotten more visible and almost appears to be actual mycelium, it is also growing together with already established mycellium.  I also should add that with exception of one jar all of these patches are right by inoculation sights.  Is it possible this is normal growth caused by the fluctuation in temp, or is it cobweb mold?  What causes cobweb mold (not the spores, but where would they live in the kitchen so I can sterilize that better next time)?  What are some other ways to determine if it is in fact cobweb?  Please help fast as my rottweiler is driving herself crazy with worry.  Thanks. :confused: 

--------------------
I don't charge by the inch I charge by the foot, think I'm lying bitch here take a look...100% U.S.D.A grade A beef, heres my card call me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSomeMycologist
some guy
Loc: Mycoland
Re: I got questions you got answers [Re: HaveABeer420]
    #1521553 - 05/05/03 10:22 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

it should be fine. mycelium is suppose to die at 96 Degree so just wait it out till you have 100 covered cakes. when you birth ull be able to see if thre contams in the middle of softer then mycelium patches that would indicated contams

--------------------
If you cant beat them, join them, then beat them!

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #1521668 - 05/05/03 11:24 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

what you describe sounds earily like cobweb. cobweb mold starts out a definute lighter white than desireable mycelium. it also spreads very fast, and is favored by temps over 85. cobweb grows everywhere in the world including antarctica, wherever people live.

contamination at the injection site points to either contamned needle or contamned contents of the syringe, which may or may not point to any step along the way, starting with the original spore doner.

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Re: I got questions you got answers [Re: tchyted]
    #1521754 - 05/05/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

How long does my rottweiler need to wait to find out for sure if it is cobweb? On closer inspection all of her jars that have any growth have it. How would she find out if it was a contm'd syringe, as she used a torch to sterilize the needle after she injected each jar. And is there any hope the mycellium will overtake the mold?

--------------------
I don't charge by the inch I charge by the foot, think I'm lying bitch here take a look...100% U.S.D.A grade A beef, heres my card call me.

Edited by HaveABeer420 (05/05/03 12:04 PM)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1521769 - 05/05/03 12:10 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

This is what colonizing myc (syringe injection) looks like (at least on WBS).

If what you see is very very wispy & spider web like. It is cobweb & there is no coming back from it. :frown:
6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

Loc: South-central USA
Re: I got questions you got answers [Re: SixTango]
    #1521813 - 05/05/03 12:30 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

If I'm not mistaken, 86F is the ideal temperature for mycelial growth. According to some data for which I have lost the reference (shame) the growth rate at 86F is approximately %150 of the rate at 77F. You said they were at 75-80?

It could be cobweb though. Find out when you birth it.

Good luck!

-Seiko

EDIT: grammar

--------------------
Seiko Samurai -=- The Way, The One, The Force: Tao

Anything herein is a work of creative fiction not to be treated as even having a basis in fact

Edited by Seiko (05/05/03 12:31 PM)

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1521837 - 05/05/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Over the last two days the patches have gotten more visible and almost appears to be actual mycelium, it is also growing together with already established mycellium.

IME contaminants don't readily do this. Cobweb is a tricky bitch and really the only way to know is to experience it yourself. I'd be willing to bet that  it is NOT cobweb but only if the the wager were small :grin:

edit: one definite sign of cobweb is that it will colonize MUCH faster than mycelium. So, if the suspect spots take off like wildfire while the non-suspect spots continue at their "normal" pace you could consider taking me up on that bet.

Edited by debianlinux (05/05/03 12:40 PM)

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Re: I got questions you got answers [Re: debianlinux]
    #1522721 - 05/05/03 06:10 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

UPDATE:After much further research she is conceding defeat to the cobweb. I am very disappointed, but not dicouraged. She will try harder next time. Hopefully T.H.E. will believe and send My rottweiler a replacement, but she would still like to know how to sterilize for cobweb better. This was the only contam and hit all of her jars... what can she do better in the future?!?!?!?!?!? To let you know I cut off airflow in my kitchen with a plastic drop cloth, she used oust for air contams, and lysol for surface contams, she washed all jars and lids , and used face mask and gloves, what else can she do?

--------------------

Edited by HaveABeer420 (05/05/03 06:13 PM)

OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Loc: 'burbs of philly
Re: I got questions you got answers [Re: Seiko]
    #1522754 - 05/05/03 06:18 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

From what I understand, 80?F is an ideal temp to be running your incubation chamber at, since the mycelium creates it's own heat, it pushes it up another 6?F in the jar, bringing it to a total of 86?F.

--------------------
"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale." -William Clinton.

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: I got questions you got answers [Re: Dank420]
    #1522762 - 05/05/03 06:22 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i think the temp that mycelium kicks up is closer to 2-4 degrees F

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Re: I got questions you got answers [Re: jakeholman]
    #1522767 - 05/05/03 06:25 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

My rottweiler really wants to know for future reference, what specifically needs to be sterilized to prevent cobweb. She did really well at keeping other contams out. Did she maybe get a contam;d syringe?

--------------------

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1522774 - 05/05/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

get a PC

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag