Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineM8M
Stranger
Calvatia gigantica
    #15196881 - 10/08/11 05:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Last fall, just for fun, I cloned a wild C. gigantica and put it to rye grain.  In June I dug a small hole about 4"deep and a foot in dia. and put in a lunch bag full of sawdust and mixed in some duff layer in a fence bottom.  I mixed in the colonized grain, about 1 cup, and covered with soil just to see if it would fruit.  About Wednesday of this week it fruited, 1 puffball about 12" in dia.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calvatia gigantica [Re: M8M]
    #15196954 - 10/08/11 05:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey that's cool, especially as Calvatia gigantea is extremely difficult to cultivate in a sterile environment. I guess it took ages until that cup of rye was colonized.

Carsten

Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

Loc: Italy Flag
Re: Calvatia gigantica [Re: Mycelio]
    #15197591 - 10/08/11 07:44 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This is a great news, M8M :cool: Very beautiful specimen! 5 shrooms for you :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Actually I have this compost bag completely colonized by the strain you sent me, and I was wondering if bury it or add other sterile substrate :grin:

However, answering to Carsten, C. gigantea wasn't slow on colonizing at all, it finished an entire jar far before my shiitake 75; don't know if it's a particularly aggressive strain or not :eek:

--------------------

OfflineM8M
Stranger
Re: Calvatia gigantica [Re: Mycelio]
    #15198856 - 10/09/11 02:43 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

@ Carsten: I did not find it slow to colonize the rye, just different.  It formed small blisters on the grain first, with small fuzzy balls. 

After a month it was fully colonized.

@ Atricoz: Thanks for the compliments. I was just doing it for fun and didn't know what to do with it other than bury it outside and try to fruit it under natural conditions.  Wasn't sure what substrate to use so I put in sawdust, leaf and twig litter and some partially decomposed duff layer and covered with the soil I dug out.  The A. campestris I got from you quickly colonized a jar of aged sterilized  horse manure and I placed it in a bed of horse manure collected in my pasture and mixed in a bag of composted sheep manure.  No fruits as yet, but it may take another year as I did not get it planted until about two weeks ago.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calvatia gigantica [Re: M8M]
    #15202671 - 10/09/11 09:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Great grow M8M. You know that's going to back next year and the year after and the year after... :cheers:

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calvatia gigantea [Re: falcon]
    #15205704 - 10/10/11 02:38 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This is all quite unusual. In pure, sterile culture, the mycelium of C. gigantea grows dense and cottony, not in spots (unless you inoculate with LC and shake the hell out of it). It is extremely slow, like 1mm per week. After a while it forms thicker strands, like the thin rhizomorphs of Coprinus comatus, thickening with age. With the addition of yeast extract, peptone and thiamine you can speed up growth a little bit, but it stays growing very slow, due to its crippled metabolism and its dependency of other soil microbes, synthesizing vitamins and breaking down cellulose to simpler carbohydrates, which C.g. mycelium cannot do by itself.
So... as long as there was no C. gigantea mycelium in that garden spot before, this culture must contain other microbes, which are somehow cooperating and stimulating fast growth.

A couple of weeks ago I found some old papers, dealing with nutrient requirements of C.g. You can find the links here now:
http://speeker.tk/links/index.cgi?action=view_cat&category=15

Carsten

Cloned tissue of Calvatia gigantea after 10 days

Edited by Mycelio (10/10/11 02:40 PM)

OfflineM8M
Stranger
Re: Calvatia gigantea [Re: Mycelio]
    #15207021 - 10/10/11 07:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Carsten:  Thanks for the links.  I do not know how it is supposed to act, all I know is what I did and what happened.  I do have Giant puffball growing on my 50 ac. property, but I have never seen fruits within 200-300 meters of the spot I chose.  Also, the spot I prepared was only about a foot in dia. and the fruit is right in the centre of it.  I have started a couple of other plates from my original culture plate.  These were started Oct. 6. (They even appear different but were from the same plate).  The medium is homemade PDA nothing added, same as I used before.  Grain was inoculated with agar wedge and shaken.

Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

Re: Calvatia gigantea [Re: M8M]
    #15208445 - 10/11/11 06:23 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

After 10 days I had my millet jars almost fully colonized, without the "spotty" grow. But I noticed it on one agar plate I made, very weird.
However, maybe this is a particularly strong and fast strain, or contains some mycrobes like Carsten suggested; after seeing how slow other strains are, I think I will experiment more the M8M one :blush:
Would be great managing to have an indoor grow :grin:

--------------------

Edited by atricoz (10/11/11 06:30 AM)

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calvatia gigantea [Re: atricoz]
    #15208650 - 10/11/11 08:01 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I am administrating a german cultivation forum, where we have a subsection only for discussions and experiments with giant puffballs. One of us (tukker), who did a large number of trials, also reported fast mycelium with more curly hyphae, whenever small amounts of black or green mold or yeast were present. In clean cultures the mycelium always seems to grow straight and extremely slow.
I wish somebody with a good microscope and some experience could have a look, but I guess that is out of reach for now. However, no matter if there really are other species involved or if it is a special strain, you guys should definitely keep on experimenting.

Regarding fruiting... M8M, can you give a hint where on this planet you are and what the weather was like before that giant puffball appeared? Was there a dry period, followed by heavy or constant rain?

Carsten

OfflineM8M
Stranger
    #15208812 - 10/11/11 09:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Carsten: I am in Southeastern Ontario, Canada.  The closest weather station is at Trenton, Ont. about 25 miles SW of my location. 

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=weather&placecode=CAON0056&ref=btn150_city&link=cityPage&wbRef

Weather prior to fruiting was cool(0-6 C) and rainy for about a week.  Then we have had warm (13-26 C) and sunny weather for about another week to date.

Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

#15208906 - 10/11/11 09:29 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

how much big was, more or less, the substrate block you buried outside?

--------------------

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #15212545 - 10/12/11 05:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

M8M said:
Carsten: I am in Southeastern Ontario, Canada.  The closest weather station is at Trenton, Ont. about 25 miles SW of my location. 

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=weather&placecode=CAON0056&ref=btn150_city&link=cityPage&wbRef

Weather prior to fruiting was cool(0-6 C) and rainy for about a week.  Then we have had warm (13-26 C) and sunny weather for about another week to date.

Thanks, so your climate is similar to here, besides you seem to have more rain during summer. The giant puffballs over here pop up after rainy periods in late summer, without such a large temperature drop in between. Thinking about possible fruiting triggers, some kind of flooding in the casing layer seems to be the most likely candidate and perhaps some kind of fruiting inhibitor needs to get washed away, a mechanism I also suspect for species like Macrolepiota procera, morels and so on.

Carsten

Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

#15233138 - 10/16/11 10:52 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Today I buried the substrate bag in the wood in front of my house, adding some dry leaves and wood pieces. However the substrate could be enough to support fruiting.
At this point, I just have to wait spring :smile:

Sorry for the horrible pic quality but my phone's camera reaaaaaally sucks :smirk:

--------------------

Edited by atricoz (10/16/11 10:53 AM)

OfflineM8M
Stranger
    #15233452 - 10/16/11 12:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thumbs up!! (don't know how to use the smileys,LOL)  I do not know if it will fruit in Spring outdoors as it is a Fall fruiter here, late September-early October depending on weather conditions.  Good luck

M&M

Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

#15234461 - 10/16/11 04:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Here spring is quite similar to fall, and some C. gigantea specimen is found (although never saw one here in our property) so.... I'll keep my fingers crossed :cool:

--------------------

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #15237587 - 10/17/11 09:02 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Good luck atricoz!

In future, please think about the possible dangers of setting free mycelium from another continent.

Carsten

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck