Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleWarrior
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: DedSec fsociety
Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox
    #15178778 - 10/04/11 09:54 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have been a long time fan of Firefox but I've been thinking about giving Chrome a try.

What are some of the pros and cons of each?
Which do you prefer?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (10/04/11 09:53 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
Play Clash of Clans? Join the Shroomery clan!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: Warrior]
    #15178814 - 10/04/11 10:00 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I used Firefox for years, but I prefer Chrome now. When Chrome first came out, I didn't like it because there weren't as many mods for it, but there are enough now that it's just fine.

Feels faster, though I can't say for sure. Definitely feels cleaner. I just prefer it I guess.

Invisibler72rock
Maybe so. Maybe not.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Chicago Flag
Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: PatrickKn]
    #15179528 - 10/05/11 12:28 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I was just about to make a thread about this. I use Firefox currently because I'm paranoid. :lol: I just don't like the idea of Google having all of my information. I'm under the impression that they log all your information and input. I use add-ons like No-Script and Ad-Block, but I'm pretty sure those are on Chrome now. The only add-on that's NOT on Chrome that I love is Cocoon. I love the sense of security from that.

My friend told me that with a google account, it can save your Chrome settings, so that if you ever reformat, you can reload them using your account. :eek:

Don't know how true that is.. but I'm always afraid of Google having hold of my information.

--------------------
Current favorite candy: Peanut Butter Kisses

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: r72rock]
    #15179629 - 10/05/11 01:21 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Firefox is awesome, but if you use any google services chrome works amazing with them (obviously).  Scripts work natively in chrome so some of the apps you needed in firefox you wont even need. 

The biggest draw back with chrome is that I haven't found an app that can control a media player.  but that stuff about all your bookmarks being backed up online is true, i just did that the other day.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

OfflineGuesstimate
Picklocker Of Consciousness
 User Gallery

Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: Idiot]
    #15179690 - 10/05/11 01:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I use both I like chrome more;)

Invisiblepickeroo
Mycological Journeyman

Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: PatrickKn]
    #15179826 - 10/05/11 03:28 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

PatrickKn said:
I used Firefox for years, but I prefer Chrome now. When Chrome first came out, I didn't like it because there weren't as many mods for it, but there are enough now that it's just fine.

Feels faster, though I can't say for sure. Definitely feels cleaner. I just prefer it I guess.

This, but I still use Firefox out of habit. I used Chrome when it first came out but went back to Firefox because of the addons and mods and just never tried Chrome again. Now Chrome has caught up in those terms. Firefox is great, but then so is Chrome. I just don't wanna bother making the switch because I honestly don't feel Chrome is much better and I don't want to get used to the new browser.

Pretty much as long as you're not using IE you're good to go. :P

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: pickeroo]
    #15180332 - 10/05/11 08:16 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

there are still some essential addons that are not up to the same caliber on chrome as they are on firefox. i simply cannot live without some of these.

the biggest one i can't live without is Pentadactyl. it makes firefox act like the vim text editor. there are alternatives on chrome (like vrome) but they are a far cry from the functionality of Pentadactyl.

Firefox was awesome when it first came out and then got really crappy around version 2 up till 3.x. Since the 4.0 release it has improved immensely. chrome is not that much faster anymore.

--------------------

InvisibleWarrior
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: DedSec fsociety
Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: frith]
    #15181188 - 10/05/11 12:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm actually surprised Chrome is winning in the pole. That's interesting.

--------------------
Play Clash of Clans? Join the Shroomery clan!

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
    #15181883 - 10/05/11 03:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Chrome > Firefox

Why?  Cause I said so that's why.

--------------------

Invisibler72rock
Maybe so. Maybe not.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Chicago Flag
    #15184016 - 10/05/11 10:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Warrior said:
I'm actually surprised Chrome is winning in the pole. That's interesting.

A lot of people I know really prefer Chrome over Firefox. :sad:

Quote:

reeferaddict69 said:
Chrome > Firefox

Why?  Cause I said so that's why.

... Never thought of it that way. hehe :smirk:

--------------------
Current favorite candy: Peanut Butter Kisses

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #15185146 - 10/06/11 06:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I've not tried chome for quite a while, but when it was much younger, I was not impressed.  It reminded me of the netscape days with clunky icons.  (In other words, I thought it looked ugly.)

Recently, I avoid chrome because Google seems to have made deals with everybody on the planet to include chrome in the download.  Need acroread from Adobe?  Guess what, if you aren't careful, you get Chome as well.  Probably not a big deal to you guys with fast internet, but when you live in the third world where dialup seems fast, waiting a few hours for Chome to download, when you really don't need it or want it, is a pisser.  When Google stops trying to force feed me their new browser, then I will take a look at it again.  Until then, firefox works just fine.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: Seuss]
    #15185690 - 10/06/11 09:49 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
I've not tried chome for quite a while, but when it was much younger, I was not impressed.  It reminded me of the netscape days with clunky icons.  (In other words, I thought it looked ugly.)

Recently, I avoid chrome because Google seems to have made deals with everybody on the planet to include chrome in the download.  Need acroread from Adobe?  Guess what, if you aren't careful, you get Chome as well.  Probably not a big deal to you guys with fast internet, but when you live in the third world where dialup seems fast, waiting a few hours for Chome to download, when you really don't need it or want it, is a pisser.  When Google stops trying to force feed me their new browser, then I will take a look at it again.  Until then, firefox works just fine.

pretty much agree with all of this.

additionally, there is the philosophical argument about closed vs open source software. i generally do not use closed software. of course there is always Chromium but the above argument about it being clunky still applies.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Phleg
Big Dick Chakra
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
    #15185713 - 10/06/11 09:58 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I used to use Firefox, but it started to feel too heavy for an internet browser for me, so I switched over to Chrome. It's really light and powerful, and runs smoother.

--------------------
You wanna get high? Drink tap water.
--------------------

OfflineSN122A
Tweaker

Loc: Flag
    #15187380 - 10/06/11 04:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

When chrome was beta I described it to my clients and a startled gazelle :smile:It ran fast as lightning but tripped at hurdles! 

I read an interview with the chrome dev team at google and it was basically designed from the ground up to have speed as its number one priority, they wanted it not bogged down with addons :smile:

On that note its more stable now but still does not work for everything and I find it more responsive but I must admin I still fall back to firefox for half a dozen sites due to addons (like pinching streams) or compatibility. 

For instance I have not been on shroomery almost all year but I used to have to have firefox open to upload pics as it would not work in chrome.

Basically I use chrome with like zero addons, only the built-in bookmark sync setup for a quick, stable, general browser and fall back to firefox for the addons etc as its a bit slower but more compatible :laugh:

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: SN122A]
    #15187462 - 10/06/11 04:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SN122A said:
When chrome was beta I described it to my clients and a startled gazelle

How'd you get the gazelle to sit still?

InvisibleMr. Bojangles
Breathe In
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Dirty
Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #15189126 - 10/06/11 09:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Chrome is faster than firefox on my PC...might just be me.  I also like the simplicity.

Flash crashes every once in a while in Chrome, however.  Not sure why..maybe I have too many tabs with flash open during those time?

--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."

Francois-Marie Arouet

OfflineJwlst
Stranger

Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #15189187 - 10/06/11 09:49 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I use internet explorer. I have never had any real issue with it so don't see a reason to install any third party browsers.

Majority of people say internet explorer is buggy. I ask them, what is buggy about it? They usually come back with some pretty piss poor answers.

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: Jwlst]
    #15189387 - 10/06/11 10:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Jwlst said:
I use internet explorer. I have never had any real issue with it so don't see a reason to install any third party browsers.

Majority of people say internet explorer is buggy. I ask them, what is buggy about it? They usually come back with some pretty piss poor answers.

It's not sleek enough for my liking.

--------------------

OfflineSN122A
Tweaker

Loc: Flag
Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: Jwlst]
    #15189577 - 10/06/11 11:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Depends of or definition of of buggy I guess...

In my experience the inefficient clunky code that hogs memory and (ignoring the obvious targeting of M$) is exploited seems balanced by the fact that many software development companies first engaging in web-based applications jumped on the Microsoft bandwagon.

This means lots of sites/apps out that seem only to work on IE correctly due to propriety code in them written specifically for IE browsers.  Why you would choose that I don't know, seems to me the main benefit of web tech is inter-operable, cross-platform delivery... 

So on one hand it seems more compatible but try running a dozen windows with up to 10-20 tabs in each in IE and see what happens to your reliability and free system memory...  IE is good but in my experience does not scale well with high-end multitasking (such as when I am doing research) and its noticeably slower to me just generally browsing.

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: Google Chrome vs Mozilla Firefox [Re: SN122A]
    #15189854 - 10/07/11 01:08 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

speaking of firefox, if you use a proxy server, and hack into a huge major corporation, the corporation doesn't have your proxy server right? but they have records of the i.p. transaction, and can probably go retrieve records at time of interaction at the proxy server right?? that proxy will have your public i.p. address for sure right?

am I wrong about all this? but these days the wpa keys cancel all that out anyway right??

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom