Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineelementblazin
Cruisin' on that LSD
Male

Loc: SoCal Flag
SSRI's and Shrooms
    #15104241 - 09/20/11 12:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

So I have heard mixed things about being on ssri's and taking shrooms. Some sware it does not affect the experience, others say it completely nullifies. I would like to know even though I have my own personal opinion of the matter. Drugs such as seroquel, lamotrigine, abilify, trileptal, etc... Would these affect shroom tripping?

--------------------
My CA Legend:
A plus sign (+) means I took it within 20 minutes of then.
A minus sign (-) means I took it more than 20 minutes ago, but it's still active.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: elementblazin]
    #15104275 - 09/20/11 12:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yes they will.

Offlineelementblazin
Cruisin' on that LSD
Male

Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: psilocybinjunkie]
    #15104296 - 09/20/11 12:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You seem so sure. Could you explain since you're so sure?

--------------------
My CA Legend:
A minus sign (-) means I took it more than 20 minutes ago, but it's still active.

OfflineHygrocybe
Walkin Wonderland
 User Gallery

#15105643 - 09/20/11 10:23 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Based on what I've read on the net, it varies by dose and person. The atypical antipsychotics should completely block it.

Offlineelementblazin
Cruisin' on that LSD
Male

Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: Hygrocybe]
    #15105871 - 09/20/11 11:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry but what do those classify as... like which medicines can you give a few examples please? And why do they block it? I've heard its the receptors because they work on the same one's as each other or something like that...

--------------------
My CA Legend:

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Loc: the universe, the milky w...
    #15105941 - 09/20/11 11:30 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

elementnature said:
Sorry but what do those classify as... like which medicines can you give a few examples please? And why do they block it? I've heard its the receptors because they work on the same one's as each other or something like that...

I'm on two SSRIs and a bunch of other medications that should make it impossible for me to trip. They don't, though. It doesn't diminish the trip whatsoever.

Every brain is different. You might not be able to trip. I'd hate to give you bad advice, but if you want to find out if you can trip, try eating a bunch of mushrooms. You probably shouldn't be using psychedelics if you need to be on SSRIs (says the guy who does it all the time).

--------------------
Open mind, open heart, open book.

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Stygian Pits Flag
    #15105958 - 09/20/11 11:33 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I've tried on 2 different SSRI's and found my tolerance was immense. One of them was Citalopram Hydrobromide and I forget the name of the other it was years ago.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citalopram

I'd tried eating over an 1/8th a few times with very little effect.

I moved on to tetra-cyclics like Mirtazapine in the last couple of years (though I thankfully rarely need them now). Some of these have similar inhibiting effects, I know Mirtaz. does. Think that's called Remeron in the US/Canada.

The only thing you can really do is try a normal dose and see how you go. I believe you have to give the SSRI's a good couple of weeks before they are starting to fully flush out your system.

I would say you probably could trip on them if you ate enough, I just didn't ever want 15g+ kicking in all of a sudden!

As I think another post said, it's probably going to be a personal thing, most things to do with tripping seem to be. :

Plus agree with healing that you shouldn't be taking them unless you're in a good place mentally, don't want to make things worse and need more meds, no one likes meds. :peace:

--------------------

"Atrophic interludes weave through my life far too often, for me to fight the biggest enemies"

"Standing on the corner of 5th and Vermouth"

Offlineelementblazin
Cruisin' on that LSD
Male

Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: egodeathflux]
    #15105976 - 09/20/11 11:36 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks guys! I've done shrooms multiple times (6 to be exact) and I have been on different ssri's a few times. Some completely blocked, some diminished. But I can still get affects from them. I wonder if Stopping the meds the night before would help?

--------------------
My CA Legend:

InvisibleScudreloaded
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #15106021 - 09/20/11 11:44 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

id stop for maybe a week. but those things take a lil while to get out.
ie: more than 24 hrs.
in my past experience i was on celexia and it denied my trips but if i wouldnt take my pills for a week i could trip. but this also lead to me doing larger doses which i dont recomend too much.
everyones brain is different tho dude

--------------------
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. - Hunter S. Thompson

- believe what you may but take the internet with a grain of salt

Offlineelementblazin
Cruisin' on that LSD
Male

Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: Scudreloaded]
    #15106054 - 09/20/11 11:50 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Kool thanx the more info the better!

--------------------
My CA Legend:

Offlineqbe
New but old
Male

Loc: Philadelphia
    #15107008 - 09/20/11 03:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I personally felt no diminished effects from shrooms and lsd while on zoloft and celexa. I was taking smaller doses 2 to 3 grams of mushrooms and I tripped balls, three tabs of acid and I was high level 4 to level 5.

I recently stopped taking celexa well weening myself off. DO NOT STOP TAKING SSRI'S SUDDENLY. So if my trips were diminished before, good god this will be fun.

--------------------
I eat mushrooms to meet hippie chicks.

Offlineelementblazin
Cruisin' on that LSD
Male

Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: qbe]
    #15107080 - 09/20/11 03:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
My CA Legend:

Invisibleky_distiller
Master Distiller
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kentucky Flag
Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: qbe]
    #15107114 - 09/20/11 03:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I've been on 40mg of Paxil daily, and 1/8th of shrooms doesn't do anything to me.  I'm slowly working my way down to lesser amounts of Paxil.  I've been taking 20's for the past 2 weeks.  I'll do this for a month or two then drop to 10's, etc.

About 6 months ago, I stopped taking Paxil cold turkey. I do NOT recommend that to anyone.  There are major withdrawals.  Woozy feeling, horrible irritability, shooting jolts of electricity through your head.

OfflineHygrocybe
Walkin Wonderland
 User Gallery

Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: ky_distiller]
    #15108861 - 09/20/11 08:04 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Gunna say it again, never stop psychiatric meds suddenly, lower the dose slowly. So many people do this and then mistake their withdrawal symptoms for what they are like off the meds. There is an article on the shroomery that talks about why these meds interact with psilocybin, see the section titled "Biochemistry".

OfflineIn Dreams
Amateur Psychonaut
Male

Loc: Kentucky Flag
Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: ky_distiller]
    #15108968 - 09/20/11 08:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ky_distiller said:
I've been on 40mg of Paxil daily, and 1/8th of shrooms doesn't do anything to me.  I'm slowly working my way down to lesser amounts of Paxil.  I've been taking 20's for the past 2 weeks.  I'll do this for a month or two then drop to 10's, etc.

About 6 months ago, I stopped taking Paxil cold turkey. I do NOT recommend that to anyone.  There are major withdrawals.  Woozy feeling, horrible irritability, shooting jolts of electricity through your head.

I often hear about how antidepressants have "electric" sensations, this has always intrigued me! But as previously stated, be careful quitting these medicines cold turkey, there are horror stories of CRAZY withdrawal effects by doing so!

Offlineelementblazin
Cruisin' on that LSD
Male

Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: In Dreams]
    #15109400 - 09/20/11 09:33 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I know about the withdrawals I went cold turkey before when I didn't know how bad it could be. I will definitely taper down but not completely off this time probably. I want to see if I will trip while still partially on the meds. Will report back.

--------------------
My CA Legend:

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Stygian Pits Flag
    #15111353 - 09/21/11 11:07 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'll throw my :2cents: into this and agree that the withdrawal from SSRI's is no joke, it's why I switched to different meds, not going through that again. I have never felt so bad for so long.

Kind of ironic that I need to stop taking them to trip, and when I stop taking them I feel so awful I don't wanna trip for weeks.. :shrug:

--------------------

"Atrophic interludes weave through my life far too often, for me to fight the biggest enemies"

"Standing on the corner of 5th and Vermouth"

Offlineswitchy85
Man, somethin ain't right here.
Male

Re: SSRI's and Shrooms [Re: egodeathflux]
    #15111861 - 09/21/11 12:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Definitely varies from person to person. I've been on three different SSRIs (one may have been a SNRI) and have had some strange effects from mushrooms.
Prozac didn't change anything. But the other two (I want to say Zoloft and Pristiq, but I may be wrong) caused me to have a body high and awesome visuals, but no head trip. AT ALL. It was weird because it was like being totally sober but seeing all sorts of visuals like a normal mushroom trip. Every now and then I would get the shroom giggles, but I could easily sober up in a few seconds. Oddly enough, it came in handy once when I was out of town with some friends tripping, and one of my friends started having a terrible trip. He was getting depressed and kind of scared, so I was able to take him aside and talk with him for a while (totally sober feeling) until he started coming down and feeling better.
This lasted for a while after I stopped taking the meds, too (like, a month). Never felt bad and my recovery time was almost nothing the next day. Honestly though, tripping isn't the same without the head-space, and I was much more satisfied with my trips after I stopped taking any mental drugs.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, MDMA, MDA, and MDE had no effect at all, unless I took A LOT and then I just had a slightly speedy body buzz. Glad I now manage my anxiety and depression through the use of hallucinogens and marijuana. Antidepressants suck balls.

--------------------
Penguins are so cool... laid back and relaxed.
Really, when was the last time you seen a mad penguin?

Free Stuff Thread

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract