Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

Loc: right there
messing around with rolled rye
    #14991445 - 08/28/11 01:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I found something at the store called rolled rye, its pretty much just flattened rye grains. I bought a qp just to see what was the deal, I prepared it as I would any other rye however when it was done it was a paste of rye, This is the main reason why rolled grain does not work, it would compact too much and not allow for growth, however the advantages of rolled grains is that since they are pretty much open there is easier access to the nutrients. So being high and inventive as I always am I decided to experiment and here is what I did:

let mush dry out for about an hour which gave it a strong paste consistency, I then grabbed a bunch of coarse vermiculite and mixed them together. I grabbed some empty half pint jars I have laying around and I took pieces of the paste and tried to open them as much as possible but at the same time making it into like a ball shape. I placed the balls inside carefully making sure to leave plenty of gaps and spaces for GE. I then put on a tyvek lid covered with tinfoil and presure cooked for 45 mins at 15psi. when I took the jars out they had compacted a little bit but not an alarming amount. Since this was just a half ass experiment I was doing while pressure cooking regular rye I only inoculated 3 jars of this (which is what would fill in the holes in the pc between the pint jars)with .5cc of LC. I did all of this on the 25th of August. 3 days later here are my results.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenick711
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: messing around with rolled rye [Re: Dr. No Clue]
    #14991564 - 08/28/11 01:48 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It looks like i see some growth at the top of the rye .

You should add pictures as the grow progresses in interested to see how well rolled rye works.

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

Re: messing around with rolled rye [Re: nick711]
    #14994454 - 08/29/11 12:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ill try to get a better picture, it exploded with growth, there is an area the size of a quarter full with very very dense mycelium. It goes down pretty far but I cant see too well it started off fluffy and now its super rhyzo connecting about four of these marble sized pieces. The mycelium is comparable to what u would see in a very healthy colonized tub, its bright wite fluffy  and looks super healthy, either way I think this has a huge contam risk but if I can cut a good piece clean it up and knock up two or 3 jars g2g it might just be worth it, I made 4 half pint jars this way. Im going to make one with multispore see if that helps me speed up isolation, I can guarantee if I cut this piece out and place it on agar it will grow furiosly.

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

#14994557 - 08/29/11 12:44 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok I was wrong I have five jars, I will post the pics from best growth to worst growth, no contams as of yet, and I will also put a picture of my regular rye jars as a comparison. Remember its 2 am on the morning of day 4 so technically its barely 4 days.

Offlinenick711
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #14995615 - 08/29/11 09:39 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah it looks like its growing good.:thumbup:

Hopefully it will colonize before contams can get to it.

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

Re: messing around with rolled rye [Re: nick711]
    #14996362 - 08/29/11 12:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

What makes me want to keep digging into this is not really the speed in which it is colonizing the rolled rye but how dense and thick the mycelium is from day 1. in the pictures above the camera could not accurately capture how dense and fluffy the mycelium is, compared to the regular rye jar which only looks dense because of the flash but in fact it is not really that thick you can see the rye underneath, in fact my jars have only been that thick once and it was after I isolated my pe and made 12 jars via g2g and it was not even as thick and fluffy as this

Edited by Dr. No Clue (08/29/11 12:40 PM)

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

#14996377 - 08/29/11 12:41 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. No Clue said:
blah blah mycelium is thick

if you grew from spores.

dont attribute the variances in the mycelium to the substrate.

attribute it to the fact that you're growing from spores.

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

Re: messing around with rolled rye [Re: k00laid]
    #14996443 - 08/29/11 12:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Its all from a pe isolate lc, both grains where prepared in the exact same way put them both in the same place.

Edited by Dr. No Clue (08/29/11 04:52 PM)

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

#14996473 - 08/29/11 01:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. No Clue said:
IIts all from a pe isolate.

fair enough

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

Re: messing around with rolled rye (update with pics) [Re: Dr. No Clue]
    #15003032 - 08/30/11 05:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

day 6 progress, I shook two last time I took pictures I left the others alone.

These two I shook

The following three jars I didn't shake

this one has the healthiest looking mycelium

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

Re: messing around with rolled rye (Day 6 update with pics) [Re: Dr. No Clue]
    #15016571 - 09/02/11 09:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

pics taken last night on day 6.

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

#15044906 - 09/07/11 08:11 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

10 day results are in. Ive got a 50% contam rate. but the mycelium looks super healthy,

80% colonized but obvious contam

90% but obvious contams

fully colonized jars, atleast on the outside.

what should i do with these? fruit as cakes? spawn to bulk?

Invisibledtowntoker
gimme a spliff
    #15044921 - 09/07/11 08:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Other: throw them away and don't use half pints for rye.

--------------------

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

Re: messing around with rolled rye (Day 6 update with pics) [Re: dtowntoker]
    #15045147 - 09/07/11 09:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I dont normally use half pint jars for rye, I just wanted to see what would happen if i used rolled rye instead of regular rye, till this day I have not successfully gotten a half pint jar to colonize, these would be the first. now that I saw them colonize I will probably just spawn to cpoo/coir/verm I dont see any reason to throw away perfectly good spawn.

Offlinescifipirate
Jug Fuckler
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
    #15045335 - 09/07/11 09:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Welp I reckon you could mix them with some shit and do some small trays since it's not that much grain. Can you describe your lids?

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

Re: messing around with rolled rye (Day 6 update with pics) [Re: scifipirate]
    #15046828 - 09/08/11 07:52 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

regular lids with tyvek and two holes the diameter of my screwdriver. I was planing on doing a dub tub with about 1.5-2" sub depth, total maybe 1:3 ratio.

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

#15056344 - 09/10/11 12:34 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So I decided to spawn to bulk and see how they do, mycelium was thick, real thick, in some places is was as thick as mushroom fruitbodies. I cut it up took pictures to show results, contams where overtaken by mycelium but I cut it out anyways and then I crumbled carefully checking piece by piece, ofcourse all of this was done with the help of my trusty friend Danny Glover

added to 1 pint of coir, 1 pint of cpoo, and 1 Pint of vermiculite hydrated to field capacity and pasteurized. I spawned it to a 6qt tub and made a second tub with same amount of regular rye just to thry it out, right off the bat I will tell you the rye jars took twice as long to colonize and did not look anywhere as healthy or thoroughly colonized as this. I saved one of these jars to fruit as a cake but I do need someone to advice me on how to fruit this single cake without having to spend too much time or money on it as I dont plan on doing cakes.

so we have tub 1 rolled rye mixed with vermiculite jars took 11 days to colonize and I gave them 3 more to consolidate. Keep in mind I used tall jars which arent great for GE so I believe in proper jars these would have colonized quicker. total time so far 14 days.

Here are some not so good pics taken with my phone while working

Then we have tub two which was 1 and 1/4 pints of Rye berries, prepared in the exact same way as the rolled rye, these where inoculated on Aug 15 where at 100% on the 2 of September and where given 1 more week to colonize, total time so far 23 days. I have no pics use ur imagination you already know what regular rye looks like.

and finally the cake of which I have no pic until I dunk and I will not dunk until someone suggest a good way to fruit it as a cake, I will research but help is appreciated.

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

#15117631 - 09/22/11 02:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

ts been two weeks but tub was colonized in 5 days, its been consolidating since then.  Put into fruting yesterday, this tub has the most rhyzomorphic growth I have seen so far.

Regular rye

Rolled rye

OfflineDr. No Clue
Some Guy
Male

Re: messing around with rolled rye, Largest pin I have had so far. [Re: Dr. No Clue]
    #15143870 - 09/27/11 07:59 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I never got around to taking a picture this morning but the cap just separated so its not that big of a difference. I don't know what the yield from these rolled rye cakes is going to be but that is definitely the largest pin I have had to date.

Additional info:

incase anybody was wondering the outcome, these gave 3 flushes with a total dry weight of 42 grams dry, never contaminated just ended up drying out completely, I didnt get many fruits but I did get some of the largest fruits I have gotten from a dub tub infact at the end I had to remove the upper tub and place it inside a 66qt makeshift fc because the largest penis got over 10" tall, it was solid and weighed in at 6.7 grams dry. Im sure if anybody has the time to perfect a way to get the moisture on these just right it could be easily used if not the higher rates for contams are not worth it unless u have time to eat shit like I had a few months back or you just cant find regular rye in which case if you dont have much experience I recommend just buying some wbs.

Edited by Dr. No Clue (02/07/12 07:13 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract