Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNastyNate
swollen member
Hominy
    #1486142 - 04/23/03 12:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I just had a premenition, I havn'et read in cultivation forum for years, but I want to do another fungi farm just for old times sake and was looking to see what the hot new substrate is. popcorn seems all the rage and I was wondering if Hominy would work just as well, its pre-cooked so its allready soft and the kernels are large. It is what grits are made out of, I dunno Just a thought, i'm gonna try one or two jars this weekend.

this is what it looks like

Hominy

--------------------
<insert quirky comment here>

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Hominy [Re: NastyNate]
    #1486154 - 04/23/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I am in the process of doing this. Here we get dried hominy for use with posole. We usually crack it in a crock pot. Pics to come :smile: 

OfflineNastyNate
swollen member
Re: Hominy [Re: ]
    #1486327 - 04/23/03 01:45 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

neat, i've got a shitload of it in the cans, the only thing is that it has a little salt in it, think that would fuck with the spores? y/n

--------------------

OfflineUnknown
Confused,dizzy,wheream I again?
Loc: MA
Re: Hominy [Re: NastyNate]
    #1487708 - 04/23/03 10:16 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I wonder if you can use grits

--------------------
The above is just like,my opinion man

Invisiblewoodrow
journeyman
Re: Hominy [Re: Anonymous]
    #1487934 - 04/23/03 11:49 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hominy in cans would be too salty but I suspect dried hominy "pozole" would be ideal. Pozole is slightly alkaline and it contains a great deal of calcium and these are good for shroomies. I am experimenting with masa herina as a replacement for brf. The texture is great but I don't know yet if it works. Masa herina is ground pozole. I have heard corn meal works well as a brf substitute.

Grits are strictly for people who don't know beans about what to do with corn.

Invisiblewoodrow
journeyman
Re: Hominy [Re: woodrow]
    #1492059 - 04/25/03 03:46 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I checked my PF Tek jars made with masa herina instead of brf and they are colonizing nicely. I have not tried running masa vrs. brf mano a mano to see which does better but I would say masa is just as good as, if not better than, brf. Masa herina is a finely ground flour made from white flint corn that has been boiled in lime water, dried, and ground. The lime treatment releases some of the nutrients that are normally unavailabel in corn. It also increases the pH and calcium content and these things may make it better than brf. Masa is the flour used to make tamales and tortillas. It is very cheap and easy to find in fortunate parts of the world where Mexican food is spoken.

OfflineNastyNate
swollen member
Re: Hominy [Re: woodrow]
    #1500872 - 04/28/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Neat, that is great info woodrow, I wish I had thought of using corn a long time ago, I run a mexican food business for my family (we make tamales and tortillas) and I have corn masa by the truckload. did you mix the masa with vermiculite or just use it straight up with water??? PM me if u want

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale