Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblesavage.renegade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bay area
Linux problem after installing driver for video card
    #14846654 - 07/29/11 11:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have a pentium 4 dell 4550. I formatted the harddrive and installed linux ubuntu 10.10 single os.(not  dual boot)
I updated os just 10.10 not the 11.4. I then installed a driver for pci wireless wifi card, everything was good

I then put in a  pny geforce fx5200 ddr 256mb pci video card. I searched for drivers , I found 2 and installed both ,
Then computer asked to restart to finish install. I did that and then it loaded the linux "dos mode?"(dont know what you call that) asking for login and password. I could login but couldnt figure out what to do after that.

Since then i have reinstalled the os, and want to attempt to reinstall the drivers for the video card . I have no idea what I did wrong.I hope this makes sense to you.

Thankyou for the help

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: Linux problem after installing driver for video card [Re: savage.renegade]
    #14847152 - 07/30/11 03:07 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

to update to 11.4 don't you need to have a 64 bit bus? isn't that the 64 bit operating system? Oh sorry, you just said that you didn't upgrade to 11.4. anyway, did you go into terminal by holding ctrl + alt + f1? don't do it that way, as you have no view of the gui. try ctrl + alt + t

ok now that the computer has restarted, your drivers should work fine. as far as I know linux needs no search in repositories or anything like that to install drivers besides just doing the sudo get-apt etc. etc. driver

I like linux, because it's a pain, but it's so freaking easy if you know the commands, you don't even need to visit a web site to install an application or driver or update, you just enter a command it does it all for you. plus linux has no disk defragmenter, no virus scan, it does have recovery mode but how often do people use it? it's amazing and simple and some people are off set but to me it's superior. so just to be clear, after restarting, you didn't get back into the gui, but just into the command line?

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Edited by imachavel (07/30/11 03:12 AM)

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
    #14847612 - 07/30/11 08:11 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

My ubuntu computer does that occasionally but it eventually boots into the GUI desktop after a few minutes. Don't know why.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

Invisiblesavage.renegade
Male User Gallery

Re: Linux problem after installing driver for video card [Re: robbyberto]
    #14848594 - 07/30/11 12:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yes it boots into the comand line everytime now. It wont go to the gui.it didnt happen before I installed the video card driver, and the new video card never worked.

--------------------

Edited by savage.renegade (07/30/11 01:24 PM)

InvisibleDawks
Jolly African Potato

#14848736 - 07/30/11 01:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

login, type "startx" and tell me what happens.

Invisiblesavage.renegade
Male User Gallery

Re: Linux problem after installing driver for video card [Re: Dawks]
    #14848777 - 07/30/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have reformatted and reinstalled the os now, so everything loads up fine now. I havent installed any drivers yet so I am going to attempt to install the video card driver in a little bit.

Last time I looked for the drivers for the video cards it gave me two different drivers to choose from. I installed both drivers and Im thinking maybe thats the problem?

is startx the code to load the gui? i should probably learn these codes for linux

--------------------

InvisibleDawks
Jolly African Potato

#14848821 - 07/30/11 01:51 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

savage.renegade said:
Last time I looked for the drivers for the video cards it gave me two different drivers to choose from. I installed both drivers and Im thinking maybe thats the problem?

You could try getting the driver directly from the nvidia site:

x86 - http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-173.14.30-driver.html
x64 - http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-173.14.30-driver.html

Make sure you only install the one for your architecture. (i.e. x86, x64).

Quote:

savage.renegade said:
is startx the code to load the gui?

Yes. If x can't start then it would spit out and error why, then we could fix it. Sometimes you need to many edit xorg.conf to get it to work.

Invisiblesavage.renegade
Male User Gallery

#14848837 - 07/30/11 01:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the link bro, thats alot of help.
I hope I can get this to work because I like linux.
Does anybody have a good link to learn all the codes for linux

--------------------

InvisibleDawks
Jolly African Potato

#14848985 - 07/30/11 02:31 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

savage.renegade said:

:biggrin:

Quote:

savage.renegade said:

There are a few handbooks out there I believe but I think the best way to learn is through use.

Remember:

The terminal is your friend, despite all the flashy GUI's bundled with the likes of ubuntu, you'll be doing (and should be doing) everything through the terminal. Knowing your way around the terminal is essential. Here are some basic commands:
  • sudo <command> executes <command> as root
  • ls lists files in the current directory
  • mv <file> <destination> moves a file
  • cp <file> <destination> copies a file
  • pwd Print working directory, shows you where you are.

Probably the first commands you'll be using are:
sudo apt-get update
and
sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo, tells the program to run with root (administrator) privileges.
apt-get is the command that tells APT (Advanced Packaging Tool) to do something to a package.
"update" tells apt to update it's software sources.
"upgrade" tells apt to upgrade all the packages installed

Next you'll be using APT to install programs. This is easy, just type:

sudo apt-get install package-name

install, tells apt that you want to install a package.

So if you want to install firefox, you'll type

sudo apt-get install firefox

To uninstall firefox, you'll type:
sudo apt-get remove firefox

It's that easy!

Google is your friend. Chances are if you're having trouble with something, somebody else has posted a solution for it. Google your troubles and follow the instructions, make a point of know what EACH AND EVERY command you type does. Don't just type blindly or you could break something. If you want to know more about a certain command type "--help" after a command for example "cp --help" will show you the parameters your can pass to the cp (copy) command.

Man pages. Programs generally have a man(ual) page. Type "man <command>" to see the man page of a program. It'll tell you the same sort of thing --help will, but in more depth.

Other than that you should be good to go. Remember, you'll never learn EVERYTHING. Just make a point of mastering everything you do. For instance if one day you want to mount some media, then it's a good time to learn all about the mount command. Likewise if you feel the need to do some media encoding, probably a good time to learn about ffmpeg.

And if you get stuck don't be afraid to ask around :biggrin:

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

#14850732 - 07/31/11 08:54 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I basically never need to use the terminal with ubuntu. I have had to compile a few programs, but most of the ones I need are all found in the package manager. I'm not doing anything complicated on my computer though. Just internet, music, videos.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#14850747 - 07/31/11 08:58 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

God I can't stand the command line prompt. I thought I left that in my dos days!

I mean, if it's the only way of doing something, fair enough. But if there's a clicky click way of doing it, I'm there.

BTW, does your graphics card have hdmi out? I'm trying to find help for hdmi on an nvdia ion chipset but nvidia x server won't detect my telly.

--------------------

InvisibleDawks
Jolly African Potato

#14851385 - 07/31/11 12:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:lol: I stumbled across this wallpaper OP, I thought you might find it useful.

--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
    #14852018 - 07/31/11 02:49 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dawks said:
Quote:

savage.renegade said:

:biggrin:

Quote:

savage.renegade said:

There are a few handbooks out there I believe but I think the best way to learn is through use.

Remember:

The terminal is your friend, despite all the flashy GUI's bundled with the likes of ubuntu, you'll be doing (and should be doing) everything through the terminal. Knowing your way around the terminal is essential. Here are some basic commands:
  • sudo <command> executes <command> as root
  • ls lists files in the current directory
  • mv <file> <destination> moves a file
  • cp <file> <destination> copies a file
  • pwd Print working directory, shows you where you are.

Probably the first commands you'll be using are:
sudo apt-get update
and
sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo, tells the program to run with root (administrator) privileges.
apt-get is the command that tells APT (Advanced Packaging Tool) to do something to a package.
"update" tells apt to update it's software sources.
"upgrade" tells apt to upgrade all the packages installed

Next you'll be using APT to install programs. This is easy, just type:

sudo apt-get install package-name

install, tells apt that you want to install a package.

So if you want to install firefox, you'll type

sudo apt-get install firefox

To uninstall firefox, you'll type:
sudo apt-get remove firefox

It's that easy!

Google is your friend. Chances are if you're having trouble with something, somebody else has posted a solution for it. Google your troubles and follow the instructions, make a point of know what EACH AND EVERY command you type does. Don't just type blindly or you could break something. If you want to know more about a certain command type "--help" after a command for example "cp --help" will show you the parameters your can pass to the cp (copy) command.

Man pages. Programs generally have a man(ual) page. Type "man <command>" to see the man page of a program. It'll tell you the same sort of thing --help will, but in more depth.

Other than that you should be good to go. Remember, you'll never learn EVERYTHING. Just make a point of mastering everything you do. For instance if one day you want to mount some media, then it's a good time to learn all about the mount command. Likewise if you feel the need to do some media encoding, probably a good time to learn about ffmpeg.

And if you get stuck don't be afraid to ask around :biggrin:

thanks, I've been needing that, I'm using ubuntu and had some incompatible problems from not upgrading packages, thanks for the commands. and yes it is that simple! with ubuntu you don't even need to visit the nvidia site to get the drivers, it's just like you said, run the command "sudo get-apt" without quotations and then list the driver you want "nvidia version etc." without quotations. then again you might need to visit the nvidia site to find out the drivers name in the first place, or you could look at your cd directory and it will probably list the name of the driver. if you install from the disk or download from a web site, the drivers will end up in your repository, and you might need to dig around the gui a bit to install them from your repository, although this isn't always the case.

also you can skip the repository I believe there is an ubuntu command once the drivers are downloaded you just run sudo install etc. etc. /directory and then /driver. at least it'll be close to that you just have to google the commands. sorry if this was already mentioned and sorry I don't have the direct procedure. it sucks that the disk messed up linux for you, but also take into account those drivers on the disk are probably meant for windows. much better in this scenario to get the drivers from the actual nvidia site.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Re: Linux problem after installing driver for video card [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #14855422 - 08/01/11 08:42 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Visionary Tools said:

BTW, does your graphics card have hdmi out?

No. It's a dell inspiron 1520 laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB which only have VGA out. I don't remember having to do anything fancy to get the drivers to work. Just downloaded the ones the OS told me to.

--------------------

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
    #14858181 - 08/01/11 07:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If that ever happens again, you do not need to reinstall. I understand that it's easiest right after a fresh install and your backups are still current (I've done it too) but you'll never learn anything. When people ask me how I got good at fixing computers, I tell them I practiced by accidentally breaking my family's (Win 3.1) computer and having to fix it before my mom got home :smile:

Anyway, as already stated, startx is a good place to start. The xorg.conf file that Dawks mentioned is usually at /etc/xorg.conf. Run sudo nano /etc/xorg.conf to modify it.

If you can't find the right xorg.conf options to get X up and running, do sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg That will run you through a bunch of menus that you can use to select options like your resolution/frequency and drivers. Just fall back onto the opensource drivers and you'll be good to go.

--------------------

Living on a no-Flash diet is way easier than you think. Give it a shot.

Invisiblesavage.renegade
Male User Gallery

Re: Linux problem after installing driver for video card [Re: Bacchus]
    #14869989 - 08/03/11 11:22 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys, got everything figured out and running smoothly. I love linux its very fast.
One question is I have downloaded a .dmg file( which is a mac file right?) How do I go about using this file?
Really I just want to convert it to mp4 or divx.

edit: Well i found the file in .avi format on a torrent so problem solved.

--------------------

Edited by savage.renegade (08/03/11 11:40 PM)

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
    #14870064 - 08/03/11 11:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like it's a DVD image? You'll need to convert it to .iso before you can rip out the video
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManageDiscImages#DMG%20Images

--------------------

Living on a no-Flash diet is way easier than you think. Give it a shot.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale