Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCuriousgeorge22
Mad Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: mommas womb
long term effects of cannabis abuse
    #14785896 - 07/18/11 11:04 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I know that cannabis is considered one of the safest recreational substances known to man. It also has been shown to have many medical and theraputic effects. I have been smoking high grade bud every single day for the last 2 years. My daily consumption is usually 1 gram, but other days i go above this.

Its hard for me to imagine that consuming a substance that changes the way your brain works, habitually, can be completely safe. So what are some of the potential effects of abusing cannabis that you have noticed or that there has been conclusive research on?

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off.
Why should I?” - Bob Marley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: Curiousgeorge22]
    #14785912 - 07/18/11 11:07 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

none that I know of.

I'm sure if you're smoking a gram a day for a few years you could have trouble balancing serotonin when you're sober, which might lead to depression.

Don't quote me on this. :crazy2:

--------------------

Offlinesigma_zero
internet Jedi
 User Gallery

Loc: surface
    #14785916 - 07/18/11 11:08 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have a brother that is pushing 50 and he smoked pot every day and the only negative effects I have noticed is he is lazy as fuck and his short term memory is shot.
That being said he lives in costa rica and fucks a bunch of girls in their early 20's all day long and is probably the happiest person I know.

--------------------
The truth is, nobody has a clue.

Offlinelove2shpongleIRL
Opiophile
Male

Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #14785923 - 07/18/11 11:10 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Cannabis does not effect serotonin, I would be concerned about physical health effects, such as lung damage.

--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

Offlinenice1
Not the droid your looking for
 User Gallery

Loc: earth
    #14785943 - 07/18/11 11:13 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Lethargy, anxiety and over thinking (often paranoia).  IMO comes from long term continued use. 

Not everyone and many people are capable of over riding these less desirable effects.

Personally I found it caused trouble with eating habits and I ended up getting a bad stomach which may have been from the act of smoking it.

You have to watch out with weed - when you ask people they often sit in 1 of the 2 extremes of believing its completely side effect free and benign or the other camp who think its evil gate way drug blah blah.  A bit of perspective an honesty is required for these extremists.

Offlinelove2shpongleIRL
Opiophile
Male

#14785947 - 07/18/11 11:14 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Increased dopamine production, leading you to not produce your own when sober.  If you are a cardiac patient(even if you have unknown issues), there is an increased risk of a myocardial infarction. Short term memory deficits, etc.

--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

Offlinesigma_zero
internet Jedi
 User Gallery

Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: nice1]
    #14785955 - 07/18/11 11:16 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

nice1 said:
Lethargy, anxiety and over thinking (often paranoia).  IMO comes from long term continued use. 

Not everyone and many people are capable of over riding these less desirable effects.

Personally I found it caused trouble with eating habits and I ended up getting a bad stomach which may have been from the act of smoking it.

You have to watch out with weed - when you ask people they often sit in 1 of the 2 extremes of believing its completely side effect free and benign or the other camp who think its evil gate way drug blah blah.  A bit of perspective an honesty is required for these extremists.

:thumbup: Its a drug.  It changes the most complex thing we know of(Human mind).  There are bound to be adverse effects.

--------------------

OfflineDrGreenThumb865
Dude, who's got the lighter?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tennessee Flag
Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #14785979 - 07/18/11 11:22 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

love2shpongleIRL said:
Increased dopamine production, leading you to not produce your own when sober.

http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/hemp/BRAIN.HTM
Quote:

According to the congressional Office of Technology Assessment, research over the last 10 years has proved that marijuana has no effect on dopamine-related brain systems

It's a long report, but a good read if you're up to it :thumbup: you'll learn how safe marijuana really is...

If you don't feel like reading the whole thing just go to the report and CTRL+F then paste the quote I linked in the box that appears.

--------------------
:mushdance:

Edited by DrGreenThumb865 (07/18/11 11:25 AM)

Offlinelove2shpongleIRL
Opiophile
Male

Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: DrGreenThumb865]
    #14786002 - 07/18/11 11:25 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

http://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/Abstract/1997/02100/Cannabinoids_excite_dopamine_neurons_in_the.14.aspx

EXTRACELLULAR recordings were used to determine the effects of cannabinoids on the activity of dopamine neurons within the ventral tegmental area (VTA) and substantia nigra pars compacta (SNC). Systemic administration of the natural psychoactive cannabinoid Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC) and the synthetic cannabimimetic aminoalkylindole WIN 55,212-2 produced dose-dependent increases in firing rate and burst firing in both neuronal populations. These effects appear to be specific as the non-psychoactive cannabidiol and the inactive enantiomer WIN 55,212-3 failed to alter either parameter of neuronal excitability. Furthermore, dopamine neurons in the VTA were more sensitive than those in the SNC to the stimulatory actions of Δ9-THC. These results may provide a mechanism by which psychoactive cannabinoids increase extracellular dopa-mine levels in mesolimbic and striatal tissues, and thereby contribute to the reinforcing effects of marijuana.

--------------------
T. S. Eliot

OfflineCuriousgeorge22
Mad Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: mommas womb
    #14786011 - 07/18/11 11:27 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

bruuuhhh, dr greenthumb

knoxville nigga, i stay there tooo

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off.
Why should I?” - Bob Marley

OfflineDrGreenThumb865
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14786022 - 07/18/11 11:29 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Curiousgeorge22 said:
Its hard for me to imagine that consuming a substance that changes the way your brain works, habitually, can be completely safe.

http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/hemp/BRAIN.HTM
Quote:

The discovery of a previously unknown system of cannabinoid neural transmitters is profound. While century-old questions, such as why marijuana is nontoxic, are finally being answered, new, fascinating questions are emerging - as in the case of all great discoveries.

--------------------

Offlinelove2shpongleIRL
Opiophile
Male

Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #14786029 - 07/18/11 11:31 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Currently, there is a new study going at north shore to reevaluate cannabis effect on dopamine.

--------------------
T. S. Eliot

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
    #14786031 - 07/18/11 11:31 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

a) Short term memory loss (takes a while)

b) increasing lack of motivation (this starts from the first month you start smoking)

c) psychological addiction (sober life seems boring)

d) impression that the side effects mentioned above are not happening (thinking weed helps you concentrate, thinking it motivates you and finally, I can stop whenever I want! I just don't feel like it)

e) lower stamina, shortness of breath (takes a while)

f) tendency toward malnutrition (McDonalds is sooo much better than broccoli)

Thats pretty much all I could think of. None of these thing can ruin your life. Unless you really let that lack of motivation slow you down

--------------------

InvisibleSOLID BASTARD
Hella Vampires

Loc: 127.0.0.1
    #14786059 - 07/18/11 11:38 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Insomnia when quitting
Emphysema
Testicular cancer

OfflineDrGreenThumb865
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: Patlal]
    #14786073 - 07/18/11 11:41 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:

b) increasing lack of motivation (this starts from the first month you start smoking)

d) impression that the side effects mentioned above are not happening (thinking weed helps you concentrate, thinking it motivates you and finally, I can stop whenever I want! I just don't feel like it)

This all depends on the person. Not everyone turns into the stereotypical "stoner" when they smoke.

Just look at Michael Phelps... He got caught smoking and it obviously didn't impair his lung capacity, stamina, or motivation.

Quote:

Patlal said:
Thats pretty much all I could think of. None of these thing can ruin your life. Unless you really let that lack of motivation slow you down

True, those aren't really life threatening side-effects but like I said it's more about the person, not the weed.

--------------------

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: Patlal]
    #14786232 - 07/18/11 12:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:

I highly disagree with tendency toward malnutrition - personally I always eat healthy, stoned or not.  I hate McDick's and most fast food.  Shit's gross.

I recently stopped smoking so I'm interested in seeing the effects of being sober in a couple of weeks :thumbup:

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: Curiousgeorge22] * 1
    #14786235 - 07/18/11 12:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Curiousgeorge22 said:
I know that cannabis is considered one of the safest recreational substances known to man. It also has been shown to have many medical and theraputic effects. I have been smoking high grade bud every single day for the last 2 years. My daily consumption is usually 1 gram, but other days i go above this.

Its hard for me to imagine that consuming a substance that changes the way your brain works, habitually, can be completely safe. So what are some of the potential effects of abusing cannabis that you have noticed or that there has been conclusive research on?

15 years of daily use and I see no side effects. I did take a 4 year break in the middle of that tho. I was in the military. Side effects of that? Horrible sores all over my body from vaccines. Arthritis running rampid in my joints.

Thank god for weed. Helps the pain.

I was on pills for the pain. Side effects of that? Addiction, organ failure was imminent, moody as hell and had to get on depression medication which made it all worse.

I played online games for 5 years and gained 50 pounds. Now THAT'S a bad side effect.

I quit taking pills and playing online games. I smoke weed like a mad man and have for 8 years straight every day all day. I have lost 30 pounds that I gained taking pills and playing video games. I don't take prescription medication for depression or pain anymore. I just smoke weed and everything is manageable.

Side effect of smoking weed after all this time? Nothing bad at all. Quite the opposite.

My wife stopped being a huge bitch. I 'd say weed saved out marriage as well.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Edited by Kada (07/18/11 12:17 PM)

Offlinesigma_zero
internet Jedi
 User Gallery

Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: Kada]
    #14786242 - 07/18/11 12:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Kada said:
Quote:

Curiousgeorge22 said:

15 years of daily use and I see no side effects. I did take a 4 year break in the middle of that tho. I was in the military. Side effects of that? Horrible sores all over my body from vaccines. Arthritis running rampid in my joints.

Thank god for weed. Helps the pain.

I was on pills for the pain. Side effects of that? Addiction, organ failure was imminent, moody as hell and had to get on depression medication which made it all worse.

I played online games for 5 years and gained 50 pounds. Now THAT'S a bad side effect.

I quit taking pills and playing online games. I smoke weed like a man man and have for 8 years straight every day all day. I have lost 30 pounds that I gained taking pills and playing video games. I don't take prescription medication for depression or pain anymore. I just smoke weed and everything is manageable.

Side effect of smoking weed after all this time? Nothing bad at all. Quite the opposite.

Isn't the VA great.  Free pills just don't complain.  My story is just like yours just a little younger.

--------------------

OfflineAedan
Male

Loc: the desert
Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: SOLID BASTARD]
    #14786303 - 07/18/11 12:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Cutless said:
Emphysema
Testicular cancer

...no

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: long term effects of cannabis abuse [Re: sigma_zero] * 1
    #14786307 - 07/18/11 12:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The VA never gave me shit. They gave me an honorable discharge for medical reasons. I don't get a single thing from them. I didn't even get my college money from them because I was forced into discharge before my time was up. They say the anthrax vaccine didn't do what it did and couldn't. They say it was safe and my symptoms were just coincidental.

Weed helps the pain and the depression. My body was wrecked for about 4 years after the vaccines and they just dumped me on the side of the road. Fuck the military.

I got the wife to start smoking about 3 years ago. We were on the verge of divorce because of  both of our depression problems. She refused to take meds because she saw how it turned me into a zombie. She needed something because she would sit in a dark room and cry all the time for no reason. We drank to much. She would snap and break things or hit me or the kids. I got her to smoke with me and she loved it. I would say it gave us something in common to do and it saved our marriage. We would smoke a bowl and then go do stuff. She had stopped wanting to do things with anyone. It was like magic. Now you couldn't even tell she ever had a problem.

Weed saved me from addiction and depression. It helps me manage my pain and lifts my soul up. My wife is the person I married again. She dug herself out of a pit and stands in the sun smiling again. We are fit healthy people other than my arthritis. We smoke weed and it helps. I think we're better people for it and happily married still because of it.

No I don't say weed did all that, but it really REALLY helped and still helps. It was a lot of hard work, sweat, tears and rough times. Weed leveled us out and kept us sane. now were settled down and I can't be grateful enough for Cannabis. When we smoke now we do it at the end of the day when the kids are in bed. We are tokers for life and better for it. Anyone who says this sacred plant should be illegal shot be taken out back and shot for being a nuisance.

Weed saved everything I cared about and helped me get healthy again. FUCK PILLS.  :happyweed:

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Edited by Kada (07/18/11 12:34 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder