Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemathias
Ersatz Haderach
Male User Gallery

rhododendron leaves in casing... Prep ?
    #14776371 - 07/16/11 07:10 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ahh, summertime in Missouri.
Wet, hot, and an insane spore-count.

Rhododendron leaves in the casing:
Dry them, crumble them, mix into casing, check ph, then into the PC.
Sounds good?
Anyone else use them to ward off the mean green?

--------------------
intlslacker : "Why is it I always have the feeling that if RR weren't around it'd be like there were toddlers running around, bumping into walls and eating poisonous mushrooms?"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoctor_Inoc
Vintage Hand
Loc: Flag
Re: rhododendron leaves in casing... Prep ? [Re: mathias]
    #14776405 - 07/16/11 07:39 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

What is your point with the addition of SPECIFICALLY, Rhododendron leaves?

Sounds interesting enough to work, INSIDE OF THE BULK SUBSTRATE (so long as what's beneficial about the Rhododendron leaves isn't killed off during PASTEURIZATION). 

I prefer to pasteurize casing layers over sterilizing.  Pasteurizing casing layers over sterilizing them preserves thermophilic bacteria while killing off the anaerobic spores and bacteria.

Although, I'd leave the leaves (no pun intended) out of the casing and try to make the casing layer as non-nutritive as possible, crumbled up, dehydrated (then re-hydrated) leaves make a good addition to any cubensis bulk substrate.

InvisibleHorizonSpawn
Gettin' my grow on :)
Male

Loc: Myco-Tek.org Flag
Re: rhododendron leaves in casing... Prep ? [Re: Doctor_Inoc]
    #14776420 - 07/16/11 07:47 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I know that Psilocybe cyanescens and many other woodlovers (including deadly ones) of the PNW have been found beneath rhododendrons...  That's about all I know :uhoh:

--------------------
Please assume any and all prints exchanged are "WILD" in nature; and thus, should NOT be considered ASEPTIC...

NOTE:  Please excuse my brevity, as it is a bitch 'n' a half and slow as hell to type on this here phone :frown:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: rhododendron leaves in casing... Prep ? [Re: HorizonSpawn]
    #14776452 - 07/16/11 08:04 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Rhododendron leaves in the casing:
Dry them, crumble them, mix into casing, check ph, then into the PC.
Sounds good?
Anyone else use them to ward off the mean green?

That's about it.  I never saw them to change pH by much, so just make a normal peat/verm casing with lime, and toss them in.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinemathias
Ersatz Haderach
Male User Gallery

Re: rhododendron leaves in casing... Prep ? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14776711 - 07/16/11 09:50 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Rightyoh! Thanks RR.

Trich resistance is the goal here, Doctor Inoc.
I do not know the mechanism, but RR reports trich immunity from rhod. leaves.

Switching over from SGs to monotubs has helped (telling me it is in fact in the air, as opposed to in the cakes/subs) but it is still happening sooner than usual. My exact same teks lasted 5-7 flushes all winter and into spring. Now I get tiny puffs and the occasional green fleck that I don't catch until the color change, starting at the 3rd flush. Sometimes 2nd.

Bad cakes/subs/casings would show up much sooner and MUCH bigger. This has to be airborne spores.

So I will post the results here in a week or so. I will add some of this casing to a bulk sub chunk that has been cut and salted. Should be a good test.

--------------------
intlslacker : "Why is it I always have the feeling that if RR weren't around it'd be like there were toddlers running around, bumping into walls and eating poisonous mushrooms?"

Edited by mathias (07/16/11 10:31 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: rhododendron leaves in casing... Prep ? [Re: mathias]
    #14778008 - 07/16/11 03:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mathias said:
My exact same teks lasted 5-7 flushes all winter and into spring. Now I get tiny puffs and the occasional green fleck that I don't catch until the color change, starting at the 3rd flush. Sometimes 2nd.

It sounds like you need to work on lining up your pinning triggers. If you do everything right, you should get 80% to 90% or so of your total possible product in the first two flushes.  I never go for a third flush indoors, and usually move substrates outdoors after 1st flush.  By then the mycelium is spent and it's normal for molds to move in.  If it's taking more than two flushes to get to that point, work on fruiting parameters.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinemathias
Ersatz Haderach
Male User Gallery

Re: rhododendron leaves in casing... Prep ? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14794589 - 07/19/11 07:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The 5-7 average was cakes. 2-4 for the bulks.

But I agree, something is less than perfect.

Something I thought of as I was discussing this with the Missus...
Perhaps my "wait for pins before birthing" philosophy is flawed.
Perhaps I am inadvertently selecting for highly photo-reactive fruits by giving so much light in the last days of consolidation and waiting for pins...

That would explain the long flushes, as all the other phenotypes catch up.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale